FireFox or Opera ?

578 members have voted

1. 1. FireFox or Opera ?

• Firefox
    • Opera

I use Firefox, but was an Opera user. The only reason I switched was because of the simplicity of Firefox over Opera.

If you don't really know what you want in a browser, but just something that's faster than IE, I'd suggest Opera, simply because it has EVERYTHING.

Firefox is mainly for users who know what they want in a browser, hence the reason for extensions.

Since when did i say extensions were a bad thing?.

I guess I took your sentence about Opera having everything that Firefox needs with extensions too literally, but that surely implies that you don't approve of extensions and rather have the features built into the browser, which is definitely just bloat for many users.

Most people dont use Email?

Most people don't use their web browser for e-mail. We've got Outlook and Thunderbird for that, buddy.

@Elliot, I guess you didn't get my point. Everyone's saying "Firefox can do everything Opera can". I was merely stating some features that Firefox doesn't have. And the build competition thing everyone is jabbing about.

@jagedEdge, oh just the fact that it's not ONLY a web browser.

@jagedEdge, oh just the fact that it's not ONLY a web browser.

584797974[/snapback]

Oh, I guess that's why it does a pretty poor job at being a web browser and only comes slightly above Internet Explorer in compatibility with standards then. Thank you for reinforcing my point that a web browser should be a web browser, and that if you want more features it should be up to the user to add them via extensions or plugins.

Edited by jagedEdge

Oh, I guess that's why it does a pretty poor job at being a web browser and only comes slightly above Internet Explorer in compatibility with standards then. Thank you for reinforcing my point that a web browser should be a web browser, and that if you want more features it should be up to the user to add them via extensions or plugins.

584798478[/snapback]

Or it would be a lot easier to have the features bundled with the browser, and have an option to enable/disable them. I cant see how this would be called 'bloatware' When opera is still smaller then firefox.

Or it would be a lot easier to have the features bundled with the browser, and have an option to enable/disable them. I cant see how this would be called 'bloatware' When opera is still smaller then firefox.

584798577[/snapback]

Bloat isn't how big the file is. It's how much crap that's packed into the software. Firefox just happens to have higher quality images and and less compressed stuff, so it's larger. Doesn't mean Opera has less bloat. Mac OS X is regarded by many to have less bloat than Windows, yet OS X is much larger than Windows in file size.

584798478[/snapback]

Wow you must have used Opera a long time to make all these statements! Maybe you used it on version 6?

I agree, if you want more features it's up to the user, that's why Opera has a great support for Plugins. (Y)

I have both installed, but mainly use firefox. I like them both, I've managed to customize opera to get it to look pretty much the way I want it. The one thing opera is missing is the feature that turns all plain text links into clickable links, like the "linkification" extension. I use a messageboard (godlike productions) where you run into these type of links all the time, plain text links, and it's nice to be able to click on them.

On the other hand, I love how fast opera renders, especially when one presses the back button, it doesn't attempt to check for new content it just instantly loads what you were previously looking at. Perhaps I'll give it another hard look after the next preview release comes out.

I like Firefox more cuz Opera feels like bloatware to me. It takes long to load, the ad in the top corner is annoying, and last i tried it, it was a memory hog..

Plus I dont like how dense the program feels. Then again I havent tried it recently so I dont know about recent changes, if any.

Why should you have to choose 1 over the other? I use both of them, both great browsers, load up about the same time, opera renders pages/images slightly faster, and i love the built in IRC client. FIrefox has some killer plugins, id like to see plugin "bundles" with most commonly used plugins in the near future. IE simply cannot compare, those of you saying IE is faster, it takes relatively the same time to load, but renders pages much slower than its 2 competitors. When in doubt, use both, and see which one you like more.

Bloat isn't how big the file is. It's how much crap that's packed into the software. Firefox just happens to have higher quality images and and less compressed stuff, so it's larger. Doesn't mean Opera has less bloat. Mac OS X is regarded by many to have less bloat than Windows, yet OS X is much larger than Windows in file size.

584798629[/snapback]

How much crap does opera have bundled with it then?

Sure, irc wont come in handy for the average user, but it will come in handy for some.

I just made the change from IE6 to FireFox tonight :D

I also use Outlook 2003 for POP3 emails ;)

(PS: I've tried IE, Opera, Netscape and FireFox. FireFox's the best ...)

Why is it so hard for people to learn a fact, that you can choose NOT to use the IRC and the built in mail features. Why is it so hard to do that and easier to call it a bloatware? when infact additionally it comes in even a smaller size. You people baffle me.

I have both of them installed on my computer, but I use Opera as my main browser. I like it better because it has all the features I want (tabs, mouse gestures, etc.) and they work perfectly. I found that downloading extensions for Firefox was just a hassle. It took a long time to find exactly what I want and there were incompatibilities between some of extensions. Also, Opera loads pages faster and uses less memory on my computer.

Anyway, I don't think there's a browser that is better than others. Some people in this thread should understand that different people have different needs. It's not because you like a browser better that it's the bestest and that everyone should use it.

You just have to try them both and use the one that fits your needs the best.

i used to be the opera guy but the 'clicking link resulting the loading page stoped ' bug is not good for me

584802397[/snapback]

For those on low bandwidth, this feature is great. 5K a second is a lot that can be wasted, and I find Opera the most bandwidth efficient (hence the fastest) browser that I have ever used.