what version of xp?

169 members have voted

1. 1. what version of xp?

• professional
    • home edition

I have a WinXP CD that my dad gave me that I believe is Pro... its the version for business that is licenced for 250 users or something. I installed it a while ago but only had it on my computer for less than an hour because one of my most important programs didn't work with it(Norton Antivirus 2001). I love the Windows XP look and I know it's a lot better than Windows ME which I'm using now, but I need virus protection and believe Norton to be the best. Another drawback is theres no way to kind of have "hidden" windows profiles that not so smart computer users won't be able to find(I don't think). For example I have it log on to user "Tom" by default but I have a user "Alternate" that I use for when I'm doing anything I'd rather not have my girlfriend know about and not have to worry about cleaning up the tracks. With WinXP I believe both users would show up on the sign in screen. If anyone knows of a way to force Norton 2001 to work with WinXP, please let me know, as I would gladly re-install it.

The latest version of Norton, 2002, works fine. There is also a good free Anti-virus for XP, AVG Antivirus

And for the login question, in tweakUI, you can deselct user that appear on teh login screen then they wont show up.

To login you simply press crt + alt + del twice and the old style 2k login appears where you can type in the username and password.

zombivac to find out if it's the corporate version check out the pid in system properties if it says xxxxx-270-xxxxxxx-xxxxx, the 270 means it's the corporate version. Also nav2001 doesn't work with xp properly use nav2002 instead. To use protected folders in seperate accounts you must use NTFS and then just give your Girlfriend a limited account. that way she won't be able to access your "documents folder or your settings or any other thing you choose to protect ;)

Yeah I know Norton 2002 works but I don't have it and don't plan on buying it... when my dad comes accross that CD too then I'll probably be installing XP I guess. Thanks for the login info, that makes me want to use it even more.

Originally posted by underscorebios  

zombivac to find out if it's the corporate version check out the pid in system properties if it says xxxxx-270-xxxxxxx-xxxxx, the 270 means it's the corporate version. Also nav2001 doesn't work with xp properly use nav2002 instead. To use protected folders in seperate accounts you must use NTFS and  then just give your Girlfriend a limited account. that way she won't be able to access your "documents folder or your settings or any other thing you choose to protect ;)

It doesn't have to say 270. It can be a different # to be corporate. When you installed it and it didn't ask you to activate it, that's corporate.

no, the legitimate corporate version has to say 270, there is another number however that is 640 and is only shown in the version known as "devilsown" ;)

well i have that "one" pro version. but i also have a pro version from my school that i legally purchased. i'm not sure how the ms agreement with our school is, but i'm guessing it's just like the store bought version.

Not familiar with what a "pid"(ohh... just thought of it... Product ID most likely) is... I assume I'm only able to check it once I have it installed, which I don't as of now. I'm downloading the trial of NAV2002 and if I can "register" it for free then I'll be installing XP tonight. I know it does have a code to enter, so it might not be the corporate version I guess, but my dad told me it was. Thanks for all the input guys.

i have xp pro corp never noticed the pid thing but I know it is cuz it asks to register but NEVER asks to be activated,

Yes even corp edtion needs a cd key but entering a cd key is diffrent then the activation part.....I will check pid soon and post back.

Yes it is the product ID and it can also be seen in the i386setupp.ini file in your winxp cd look at the last three digits of the pid string (btw even if after install only the "not so legitimate corporate version" displays the 640, in this file they both display 270)

(...)The PID in XP is more of a version control. Such as is it a retail, oem or corporate.(...)

Retail = xxxxx335

Volume License = xxxxx270

OEM = xxxxxOEM

(...)

/quote

don't know if this is true for retail or oem but corporate is 270 this is due to the kind of license you have/will use.

PS: i hope this in no way constitutes a break of forum rules since it is only helpfull for users to determine the true nature of their OS, if it is plz feel free to delete/edit this post as you see fit ;)

Well I installed XP Pro... I think I made a mistake though and chose upgrade instead of New Installation. Norton Antivirus 2002 doesn't work right any more. Unreal Tournament won't start because my 3dfx drivers apparently aren't supported by XP. I had WinRAR "registered" and now it comes up with a thing asking me to register every time I open a zip file. I'm loving the way it looks I just need things to work like normal and it looks like thats not gonna happen for a while. I guess my first task is to try to get Norton to work(re-download/install) then try to get some 3dfx drivers that will work.

Since 3dfx whent down/was bought by nvidia they stopped developing drivers for the cards but there are many third party drivers for 3dfx for use in winxp just do a search for them ;) or even look in neowin's drivers forum ;) aslo a clean install is allways prefered.

Boot time? what's that?

I don't boot.......well, save for the ocassional boot for a virus

update :p

Seriously, when I first installed it, from power on, to the log on

screen, was 16 seconds (P3@733).

I have the log on bypassed, as well as the splash screen, and

since the clean install of gold code back in august, it's around

40 seconds from power on, DSL logon IP discovery, and the apps I have loaded in the background, Nod32 antivirus, hotsync for Palm, Zone Alarm, SpamKiller.

I leave my computer on 24/7, UPS, but only have the DSL connected when I'm online, I run SetiHiDe in the background, and wouldn't go back to win9x for anything. I like that XP DOSEN'T crash (for me anyway). When I installed XP RC1, I said, now THIS is what win95 should have been.

:alien:

Well I got a working copy of Norton 2002 off KaZaA so things are looking up. I tried one set of 3dfx drivers/Tools that is supposed to be supported by Windows XP but I got a few errors on installation(as I've seen in here somewhere before... the dll files failed to register or whatever). If anyone can recommend any good 3dfx drivers that work for them on Windows XP that would be cool, a link would be even cooler. I'll keep trying different ones from voodoofiles.com once I get around to working on that again. Thanks again for the info.

Originally posted by Toxikk  

i installed home and it owns.

no lag at all.  poopoo on all you home ed. hataz

nothing wrong with home edition. its a fine version.

EXCEPT THAT ITS MISSING THE IMPORTANT STUFF! :D

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so I have ...XXX-640-... and it runs just fine. If it's not the corporate version then what is the difference. It never asks me to activate it and yes I did have to put in a cd key.

Originally posted by xStainDx

nothing wrong with home edition. its a fine version.

EXCEPT THAT ITS MISSING THE IMPORTANT STUFF! :D

important like what? stoopid sh|t that just bogs the system down? i got more than 3 explorer.exe crashes in one day on pro and i get NONE, absoluely ZERO on home edition.

:evil:

I have been running Pro with uptime of....let me check....13 days 12 hours 10 minutes and 42 seconds since the last reboot and haven't had a single error. My network didn't work right in home and it didn't have gpedit.msc so I switched to Pro. I also didn't find an option for encrypting files, but I didn't look very hard after I found it didn't have gpedit.