[UK] List of decents Broadband providers !

I have been looking for the same thing recently.

I have also been recommeended PlusNet, I did contact them, and they said I didnt need to replace my modem either! My computer has been on for 5 hours and its downloaded 600 MB, so I hope that thing about the Capping is not true :/

I need to get off of Wanadoo - lol - Don't Laugh!

PlusNet are actually doing a nice deal, paying about ?5 more for double the connection! Remember if you go with them, to select the "Premium" service, otherwise they'll cap it.

Also, check if the ISP does your area. Blueyonder and NTL are not in my little village:((

Pete

584961759[/snapback]

Plusnet are a joke.

I used dialup with the b.t. anytime package 4 years ago. Plusnet barred me telling me using the net more than 2 hours a day was against their policy.

Well surftime anytime with b.t. meant I could use the net 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days per year by paying ?25 to b.t. then no further charges and ?6 for plusnet to be my isp.

Yep I told them to stick it and actually sued them in the county court for breaking my contract agreement. I got ?300 plus costs, so it cost them ?500.

Anyways the gripe I think people may have with aol is their software.

Well I use aol without using the software via private network (similar to dialup).

Sign up and insist you will sign up if you can have it this way only. You then set via start>run>type in rasphone then go through setting up connections.

Just make sure that the tech department (which is freephone)) authorise it).

For ?25 I get half meg dsl, ?30 1 meg dsl depending on if enabled on the local exchange.

Other alternatives for around ?19 for half meg is tesco and they only need you to install a network driver for you modem.

Both of these advertise unlimited bandwidth, I have had no problems with aol with bandwidth never tried tesco just read about it at my local tesco.

Suprised no one's mentioned Telewest Blueyonder. Excellant service, with NO caps (except 750k service).

They will be upping thier speeds again soon, for FREE, unlike NTL!

705k ---> 1mb    ?25?

1.5mb ---> 2mb  ?35

3mb---> 4mb      ?50

Where did u get this info from?

Pete

I have been looking for the same thing recently.

I have also been recommeended PlusNet, I did contact them, and they said I didnt need to replace my modem either! My computer has been on for 5 hours and its downloaded 600 MB, so I hope that thing about the Capping is not true :/

584961759[/snapback]

PlusNet aren't introducing any caps. It's just that 0.3% of their users are getting ****ed to a single pipe - they can still download as much as they want, it's just that if they all do it, their bandwidth will affect others. This 0.3% of users were downloading monthly amounts of 140GB to 500GB. From reading their own forums, if you keep to below or around 100GB a month you have nothing to worry about.

Even those who are in that 0.3% will still be able to download as much as they want, it's just likely that their speeds will fluctuate. Fair enough, being as it will now mean that they've got the capacity to introduce lots of new users.

I'm on 3mbit Blueyonder here but recommending cable ISPs is a bit pointless because the choice of NTL or Blueyonder is all down to where you live - neither company can operate in the same area anyway.

I'd suggest PlusNet or Zen for ADSL, personally.

Where did u get this info from?

Pete

584961810[/snapback]

You'll find some info here. I did see a banner on BY's site advertising 1mbit, 2mbit and 4mbit too so it is all true. Best of all, the 4mbit also gets an upstream bandwidth increase to 384k.

I used dialup with the b.t. anytime package 4 years ago. Plusnet barred me telling me using the net more than 2 hours a day was against their policy.
ok this is just totally not true, unless your on the most basic of packages in which case it tells u the limits in the t&c > i had dialup a while back and was running it 12 hrs a day month in /out for over a year and never had any problems. What service where u on?

You'll find some info here.? I did see a banner on BY's site advertising 1mbit, 2mbit and 4mbit too so it is all true.? Best of all, the 4mbit also gets an upstream bandwidth increase to 384k.

584961818[/snapback]

thanx, i did a bit of poking around too and found THIS PAGE on the BY website

Pete

Edit: LOL Brodel beat me by 2 mins!!!

i suggest NTL, although UK Online are doing 8MB now for ?39.99 a month now...

584958180[/snapback]

UK Online has smashed through the Internet speed barrier with the introduction of our unique 8Mb broadband service. UK Online Broadband 8000 is available in selected areas now, and will be available to more than 4.4 million homes across the UK by early 2005.

Wrong, UK Online offers 8mbits from early 2005.

I suggest Tiscali or BT for normal Broadband as they do good prices with no caps I think and for cable go for Telewest or NTL who both have different speeds for different prices, depending on whether you can get cable.

That website is diabolical. It looks like they just got it straight off templatemonster. Avoid.

584958635[/snapback]

So what, their customer service is Amazing and at ?25 (inc VAT) with no limits, who are you to complain ?

Wrong, UK Online offers 8mbits from early 2005.

I suggest Tiscali or BT for normal Broadband as they do good prices with no caps I think and for cable go for Telewest or NTL who both have different speeds for different prices, depending on whether you can get cable.

584961863[/snapback]

Wrong. You can get it now in certain areas. Taken from their website:

"UK Online has smashed through the Internet speed barrier with the introduction of our unique 8Mb broadband service. UK Online Broadband 8000 is available in selected areas now, and will be available to more than 4.4 million homes across the UK by early 2005."

Also, BT are quite expensive compared to others and have lame caps - 15GB a month on 512k and 30GB a month on 1mbit so steer clear of them :)

We were gonna go with fast24 for their 2mb service at 37.99 a month. They were the most useless bunch of ###### ive ever seen, i think some guy runs it out of his shed.

Waited 2 weeks.. still hadnt received an activation date so i phoned up.. guy said our line had failed the 2mb test.. fair enough.. would nice if they had told us.. they asked if we wanted 1mb.. said aye.... another 2 weeks pass.. still no word or adsl... phone up.. guy says it failed the 1mb test.. would have been nice to get told... asked if we wanted 512.. told him no cause i was sick of them screwing us about and taking over a month and we still hadnt got an activation date.

Went over to freedom 2 surf. Got an activation date within a couple of days. Adsl was switched on 5 days early. Now surfing with 1mb no problems at all.

Dont touch fast24.

Wrong.  You can get it now in certain areas.  Taken from their website:

"UK Online has smashed through the Internet speed barrier with the introduction of our unique 8Mb broadband service. UK Online Broadband 8000 is available in selected areas now, and will be available to more than 4.4 million homes across the UK by early 2005."

Also, BT are quite expensive compared to others and have lame caps - 15GB a month on 512k and 30GB a month on 1mbit so steer clear of them  :)

584961981[/snapback]

Ok, I stand corrected :p

God they do change news fast lol

ok this is just totally not true, unless your on the most basic of packages in which case it tells u the limits in the t&c > i had dialup a while back and was running it 12 hrs a day month in /out for over a year and never had any problems.? What service where u on?

584961843[/snapback]

No actually this was true.

I don't write crap in the forums.

I already wrote what service I was on.

They offered two at that time anytime for home user and business user.

if you read the terms of uk online it says over 4gb a day counts as excessive, thats just over 1hour downloading at 8mb ;)

without knowing anyone on it i cant say how strict they are about enforcing it, i'd prefer an isp that doesnt limit at all.

been with pipex for at least 2 years now, bloody briliant service, upgrading to there 2mb service when it starts

the only time i get downtime is when a bt router breaks, even when the payment doesnt go thro ( card expired or such) their customer service was great

if you haev a problem with customer service it might help explaining your situation so people can see.

Ferret bulldog 4mb is only for central london, i got sent a leaflet thro the post but i cant get it :(

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.a..._action=Compare

Comparing most of the isps mentioned here - u can see plusnet comes out top :p (trying to be biased :p but yeh compare +net with any other isp and they come out top or damn near it)

Highly recommended - link in my sig to there products

584961417[/snapback]

Compare zen internet to plusnet, who comes out top ?

pwnd

Ferret bulldog 4mb is only for central london, i got sent a leaflet thro the post but i cant get it :(

584968407[/snapback]

Your jokin' :(

I did an Availiblty test, and it said I can receive it - But the UK Online won't give me the 8Mbit...

Will have a look at Pipex then...

If Bulldog don't give what they say, then I guess I got two options, Pipex or AOL...

Compare zen internet to plusnet, who comes out top ?

pwnd

584970375[/snapback]

lol. I was gonna say that! Its funny how good some ISPs look when you only compare them to crap ISPs! hehe

:D