Fedora Core 3

i was talking to some guy i meet a forums who happened to be experienced with linux and i asked him what should i person who isnt experienced use.

he suggested

Fedora Core 3

is it ez to use and is it worth ti? ;)

i was talking to some guy i meet a forums who happened to be experienced with linux and i asked him what should i person who isnt experienced use.

he suggested

Fedora Core 3

is it ez to use and is it worth ti? ;)

585005589[/snapback]

It is quite easy to install and use. Took me about a half-hour to install, and runs just as well as my Windows 2000 installation does.

I would suggest Ubuntu over FC3 simply for the fact that FC3 does not have NTFS support as well as MP3 support by default. They are simple enough to implement but maybe not for someone really new to Linux.

30 min installs? I installed FC3, Mandrake, Suse, and just about any other Linux distro that does not need compiling in about 6 minutes.

All Linux needs to do is copy files to your hardrive. There arent any registration of DLLs and crap like that. Beauty of Linux is everything is a config file...so much more robust then Windows.

Give Ubuntu a try, its based on Debia (well founded distro) and one of the new distros to keep and eye on.

Of course you have to partition part of your drive. MAKE AN IMAGE...save yourself headaches.

NOTE: This one: Fedora Core 3 binary iso images for i386 or if you have a DVD burner, this one: Fedora Core 3 DVD iso image for i386.

google it? ill try it :)

the only reason iam not into parition is the fact that my brother has used are windows key to reformate like 5 times and i dont want to screw it up, because dont you only have a set about of times that you can reformate and use that key before you have to buy a new cd of xp

an iso ;\

because dont you only have a set about of times that you can reformate and use that key before you have to buy a new cd of xp

585005650[/snapback]

Yeah, I dont think so. They may pull some crap about licensing but that kind of crap would land them in court so fast, and they would lose let me tell you. Granted you dont own Windows--merely licensed to use it--but you can install it on your computer as many times as you damn well want to!

Yeah, I dont think so. They may pull some crap about licensing but that kind of crap would land them in court so fast, and they would lose let me tell you. Granted you dont own Windows--merely licensed to use it--but you can install it on your computer as many times as you damn well want to!

585005685[/snapback]

oh, well then ill guess ill try it

if i mess up ill try again :)

iam going to get linux even if it kills me :D

oh, well then ill guess ill try it

if i mess up ill try again :)

iam going to get linux even if it kills me :D

585005694[/snapback]

Thats how I learnt. Keep at it. I used to run back to Windows whenever I hit a snag but then the Linux environment was so much nicer to use, that I kept getting drawn back in. I dumped Windows without a second thought. It took me a few months, but I went through all my disks and tossed all my Windows programs too. I rationalized in keeping them incase friends needed something, but then I came to the conclusion that--scew Windows--I am going to promote Linux. Though I did keep my copy of Windows 2003 Server and 2000 for nostalgia but all my plethora of programs are gone.

So now if I come across a problem, I am forced to deal with it. Linux is more bark then bite. Most people who have never used it will tell you it doesnt support hardware, it doesnt do this, it doesnt do that. I have yet to find anything Linux cannot do compared to Windows, and often enough, it does it better...

Yes there are problems but I had more in Windows and more headaches. Worries about virii, exploits, firewalls, ports, holes, script kiddies, email attachments. You name it, you gotta worry about in Windows...and the funny thing is, you pay for all of it.

Its time for a change and its been a long time coming. Before Firefox was born, I tried leaving IE, no go. No good browsers out there for a long time. I always thank my stars that is not the case when it comes to operating systems.

I believe the only thing I cant do in Linux is get my TV-Out on my ATI card running. I could install Gatos, but its ify. Problem is solved when I need to upgrade cards, I go and buy an Nvidia ;)

I have Fedora Core 2 installed in the office, and thinking to upgrade to Fedore Core 3.

Should we upgrade? (what are the new changes that are significant?)

The server is used for FTP server

whoever wants to upgrade from fedora core2 .... do it ... core 3 is lots stable.

and i am using linux for past 2 years and wud suggest fedora core3 also ... simply because u will get lots of packages of it easily. ubuntu is good too ... but go for fedora.