warty-release-install-powerpc.iso ?

warty-release-live-i386.iso ?

warty-release-install-i386.iso

^iam currently getting that one

dont really know anymore :\

hah true ;)

does photoshop CS work? :{

585005799[/snapback]

Sadly no. Photoshop 7.0 works however. Actually I was pretty heartbroken that I couldnt run CS. Truth be told, Photoshop was actually one of the programs that kept me with Windows. Using 7.0 on Linux however, I actually am pretty happy with it. Onething I hated was not having the option to customize my install of CS, that and having that stupid activation service started when I launched PS.

To downgrade to PS7.0 which is actually pretty damn close to CS anyway, is a tiny price to pay. There is always GIMP which I have installed too, but its no PS, thats for sure.

I have only used Knoppix, and found it very easy because I could use it without installing anything and it was on just one CD.

What bothers me with the other distros like Fedora is that it is three CDs. Why the hell would it be that big can't they just make a simple one cd with all the essential things just like windows. Just like in Knoppix you probably get a gazillion programs, 5 different browsers etc. When do these Linux people understand that less programs is actually better. You need 1 browser, 1 interface, 1 office suite etc why would you include 20 of each. I will never use Linux because of this crap. Probably there is a distro out there that is simple and easy to use but that's hard to find for a linux beginner.

I have only used Knoppix, and found it very easy because I could use it without installing anything and it was on just one CD.

What bothers me with the other distros like Fedora is that it is three CDs. Why the hell would it be that big can't they just make a simple one cd with all the essential things just like windows. Just like in Knoppix you probably get a gazillion programs, 5 different browsers etc. When do these Linux people understand that less programs is actually better. You need 1 browser, 1 interface, 1 office suite etc why would you include 20 of each. I will never use Linux because of this crap. Probably there is a distro out there that is simple and easy to use but that's hard to find for a linux beginner.

585007654[/snapback]

They have those. Knoppix can be installed to your hard drive. There is also Xandros, Linspire, Lycoris, and Linare for single-CD installations.

You have to understand that many Linux users like choice. Fedora and others provide two full and complete Desktop environments, filled with a suite of apps for each. They also include everything you need to be any sort of server you wish.

Then, take a step back and look at this from a different perpsective. My mother-in-law bought a new PC from Dell. She had me set it up. It was Windows XP, and the damned thing came with 11 CDs/DVDs. There was the system recovery set, the monitor drivers, her office suite was separate, and a bunch of other crap all spread out on these disks. I couldn't believe it! :huh:

Anyhow, not every Linux distro will be set up for "User A". Having the ability to provide an OS that can be everything that User A through User Z wants or needs means that you have to offer everything, and let the users pick the type of system they want.

The problem still with Linux in my opinion is that there is no consistency. All these programs have different interfaces with different kind of icons etc. If you make the operating system including all programs with one consistent look it would be so much easier to use.

The problem still with Linux in my opinion is that there is no consistency. All these programs have different interfaces with different kind of icons etc. If you make the operating system including all programs with one consistent look it would be so much easier to use.

585008319[/snapback]

And then it becomes Windows...see the dilema? You obviously havent used Linux long enough. There is extreme consistency, only newbies dont think so. They dont understand the concept of a learning curve.

With Linux whoever sees a need for something, makes it. Yes it creates more options but thats all they are. You dont have to use them. You dont even have to upgrade kernels if you dont want to--2.4 still being developed as we speak, despite 2.8 around the corner. Its all about choice and that is something you havent gotten yet. If you remove that, you have Windows and not everyone likes the same thing.

There are only a few DE's to use. KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox and XFCE are the most popular and if you know how to use a graphical interface, they are pretty straight forward. Linux doesnt assume you are in idiot like Windows, it assumes you are intelligent enough to research and make your own choices...

To add to the topic above, anything that has a live CD can be installed from that single disk. Debian, Gentoo, Arch all have them so you dont need to download the entire set. Actual with most distros you can get away with downloading the first two and getting everything else you need from their sites. Thats another factor to look at in picking a distro: how good is there update system and the availability of their packages.

ya 7.0 isnt bad :), just a few dif filters

and just because you get so many browsers

cant you remove them? ;\

585011286[/snapback]

I dont understand? So many browsers? What do you mean browsers? Where?

ya 7.0 isnt bad :), just a few dif filters

and just because you get so many browsers

cant you remove them? ;\

585011286[/snapback]

If you are talking about Linux, yes there are many browsers available. You can have many of them installed, or none (which is not possible in Windows).

Many new Linux users (from Windows) tend to be overwhelmed by the choices. :wacko:

585007654[/snapback]

How is less better? I like choice which I personally have found windows gives me only in gaming. the "20 of each" doesn't have to be installed. The installation can be completely customized as to what gets installed. There are several distros that are single interface and limited software-wise, Xandros, Lycoris and Linspire come to mind right off the bat.

I think every Linux new commer will do themselves a favor by doing a complete install and checking out everything that comes with a distro. Sure, it is overwhelming, but how do you know what you want to limit if you haven't even tried it all out yet? (that was part of the fun for me..discovering cool apps like dia and octave).

Then, once you have a feel for what you need, just install that. At least it gives you options, unlike windows.

Fedora Core 3 is a good distro, i would highly recommend it!

I think every Linux new commer will do themselves a favor by doing a complete install and checking out everything that comes with a distro.  Sure, it is overwhelming, but how do you know what you want to limit if you haven't even tried it all out yet?  (that was part of the fun for me..discovering cool apps like dia and octave).

Then, once you have a feel for what you need, just install that.  At least it gives you options, unlike windows.

Fedora Core 3 is a good distro, i would highly recommend it!

585013104[/snapback]

Truely wise words all around :D When you are new is the perfect time to experiment. Try them all now before you get into a groove, start settings and tweaking to which life would become a pain if you had to switch to something.

If you have never used Linux before, now is the time to monkey with it. Put it through abuse, you literally have nothing to lose...

I believe the only thing I cant do in Linux is get my TV-Out on my ATI card running. I could install Gatos, but its ify. Problem is solved when I need to upgrade cards, I go and buy an Nvidia ;)

585005786[/snapback]

Lucky you. I happened to be going through the Fedora Core 2 stable packages and I remembered: http://www.fedora.us/pkglists/2/stable/ati....2.src.rpm.html

So just yum install atitvout or apt-get install atitvout and that should be that.

If you don't use fedora.

What if you DONT use fedora? http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=atitvout

Its out there for SuSe, Connectiva, Mandrake, etc., etc.

585007654[/snapback]

Most distros ARE 1 CD needed installs...as long as you have the internet connect at least. I could argue all of them are 1 CD installs for the basic console (I hate calling it a console) mode, but I won't.

Most of the time you should have the option to 'Install from an FTP'. So you can save time and just download everything you need.

585008319[/snapback]

That comes full circle back to what markjensen said about choice...to each his own. You can have a minimalistic window manager (flux), or a desktop environment (gnome, KDE). There is no consistency because people have so much to choose from and pick what suites them best.