• Pop
    • Jazz
    • Classical
    • Country

My Dad had the LP with the girl  covered in whipped cream

I spent some time studying that when I was 7 or 8 :|

http://superdeluxe.typepad.com/photos/unca...herb_albert.jpg

585039430[/snapback]

i have the very best of herb alpert and the tijuana brass, orginal 70s release/pressing. got it for $7 incl. shipping.

001425.jpg

rap, hiphop, and muzak.

i know what you mean about herb alpert and the tijuana brass sounding cool in muzak, but their original stuff is even better :yes:

What is difference between Rap and Hip-Hop?  :s

I want to vote both but unfortunately I can't..

585039512[/snapback]

Hip Hop is music (refer to Grandmaster flash - Rappers Delight) rap is so called singing (rapping) I dont like (Gangstar)rap but hiphop on its own is ok like trip hop.

pushing buttons as in techno or yelling swear words as in rap/hip hop is no big thing. anything else requires learning and playing an instrument which imo is quite impressive and deserves respect.

pushing buttons as in techno or yelling swear words as in rap/hip hop is no big thing. anything else requires learning and playing an instrument which imo is quite impressive and deserves respect.

585039571[/snapback]

exactly!

585039571[/snapback]

And being an ignorant fool when it comes to music isn't impressive and doesn't deserve my respect.

Just because you can't get past your dislike for commercial rap doesn't mean it takes no skill or talent to come up with the rhymes and rhythms some rappers use, then arrange them to beats they come up with. Also, turntables and keyboards are just as valid instruments as guitars. Hell, if you want I could list off some rap groups that use guitar, bass, drums etc...but that'd defy what your brain could handle because to you rap doesn't require talent but rock instruments do....so mixing the two would probably just cause you to cry to yourself from mental overload or something.

Personally, I've yet to hear any genre that didn't have a band I enjoyed. It's hard for me to respect anyone I hear say a whole genre sucks, because I know 99.99% of the time they're just ignrant people that haven't even given the genre a chance and think hearing a few mainstream artist represents all the originality, diversity and creativity in that genre. To me, hearing someone say that all metal (or any other genre) sucks is about the equivelant to hearing someone say there's no such thing as a smart black person. Sure, a racist person who was raised that way might believe there are no smart black people, but if he'd take the time to go out and talk with them, he'd realize how wrong he is. I think the same would follow with music if you'd give it a chance.

Personally, I'll go from Yanni and Tchaikovsky's Greatest Hits, then put on some Death Metal like Bolt Thrower or Bloodbath, then maybe an ambient mix or something a little more electronic like Squarepusher, then maybe some old psychadelic stuff or prog rock like Hawkwind, Pink Floyd, King Crimson etc.

Just gotta be open minded and not hold your judgements of genres too close, otherwise you'll convince yourself you hate a band before you even give them a fair chance. IF you have something that annoys you about a genre, just try to ignore it for a whil ewhen you listen to a band from it, enjoy their other qualities, see if they can grow on you.

In the end, doesn't really matter to me that much what you do with music, because you people are the ones lacking in the enjoyment of hearing certain bands. Go on, tell yourself all metal sucks...personally I've never heard a band that's created an album as deep as Tool's Lateralus, or an album containing a more beautiful song than Opeth's To Bid You Farewell, off of Morningrise. Likewise, I've heard few artists match the light, atmospheric beauty Yanni creates in his compositions or excel above Jamiroquai's ****-influenced jams. Iv'e yet to hear any electronica artist top Squarepusher's smooth jazz-inspired grooves, and I don't recall the last psychadelic band to put out something better than Pink Floyds Animals.

Some of you people trying to convince yourself X genre is talentless and sucks really should think twice. Good bands aren't defined by genres, they define them.....when a band is afraid to try their own thing, do something new, and instead they stick to the specific rules of a genre for fear of having their music rejected if they are true to themselves....that's when we get ****ty music. Genres are simply styles, all these artists are doing the same thing, they're just going about it in different ways. Learnt o appreciate the beauty in all sorts of music, because it does exist.

LOL....Rap.  By far.

I heard "Intelligent Rap" exists.  LOL...Two words I never thought went together.&nbsp:laugh:h:

585039675[/snapback]

Public enemy, Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique.......unless you think rapping about things such as Racial Inequality, America being primarily run by conservative whites which isn't a true representation of America, How through hard work and dedication you can succeed in reaching your dreams, Angry about how people act like blacks began as slaves and had no history before that era, creating elaborate, artistic poetry and people you meet in the city and the lives they lead and so forth to be a sign of lacking intelligence. Then again, realizing you're wrong might require pulling your head too far out of your ass, so maybe you should stick to the comfortable, limiting confines of ignorance instead.

Public enemy, Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique.......unless you think rapping about things such as Racial Inequality, America being primarily run by conservative whites which isn't a true representation of America, Angy about how people act like blacks began as slaves and had no history before that era, creating elaborate, artistic poetry and people you meet in the city and the lives they lead and so forth to be a sign of lacking intelligence.? Then again, realizing you're wrong might require pulling your head too far out of your ass, so maybe you should stick to the comfortable, limiting confines of ignorance instead.

585039700[/snapback]

Well, you have no idea how wrong you are....nor how ignorant your assumptions about me or my Music collection make you. I have plenty of rap in my collection. It's lacking in every detail, and yes, I own even some of the groups you mention.

"America being primarily run by conservative whites" :rofl:: Yeah, I listen to music to get up to date on current events.

:laugh:: Nice try.

Raum you do have some good points there.

I personally don't really care how talented rap/techno/metal/whatever musicians are. I just don't like the sound of the music. They could be the most deep songs in existance, I just don't "feel" that it's something I want to listen to.

If you don't like something, you can't force yourself.

Time to listen to Pink Floyd's Sheep........

I hate Rap/Urban/R&B probably as much as I hate Country music, which is what I chose seeing as it is only a single choice poll.

I find some classical and jazz music soothing and good to study to.

Well, then let's discuss it, I'm curious.  How is rap lacking to you, specifically?

585039730[/snapback]

I don't have the time to tell you how much it lacks. Intelligence, common sense, originality, creativity....talent.

And being an ignorant fool when it comes to music isn't impressive and doesn't deserve my respect.

Just because you can't get past your dislike for commercial rap doesn't mean it takes no skill or talent to come up with the rhymes and rhythms some rappers use, then arrange them to beats they come up with.  Also, turntables and keyboards are just as valid instruments as guitars.  Hell, if you want I could list off some rap groups that use guitar, bass, drums etc...but that'd defy what your brain could handle because to you rap doesn't require talent but rock instruments do....so mixing the two would probably just cause you to cry to yourself from mental overload or something.

Personally, I've yet to hear any genre that didn't have a band I enjoyed.  It's hard for me to respect anyone I hear say a whole genre sucks, because I know 99.99% of the time they're just ignrant people that haven't even given the genre a chance and think hearing a few mainstream artist represents all the originality, diversity and creativity in that genre.  To me, hearing someone say that all metal (or any other genre) sucks is about the equivelant to hearing someone say there's no such thing as a smart black person.  Sure, a racist person who was raised that way might believe there are no smart black people, but if he'd take the time to go out and talk with them, he'd realize how wrong he is.  I think the same would follow with music if you'd give it a chance. 

Personally, I'll go from Yanni and Tchaikovsky's Greatest Hits, then put on some Death Metal like Bolt Thrower or Bloodbath, then maybe an ambient mix or something a little more electronic like Squarepusher, then maybe some old psychadelic stuff or prog rock like Hawkwind, Pink Floyd, King Crimson etc.

Just gotta be open minded and not hold your judgements of genres too close, otherwise you'll convince yourself you hate a band before you even give them a fair chance.  IF you have something that annoys you about a genre, just try to ignore it for a whil ewhen you listen to a band from it, enjoy their other qualities, see if they can grow on you.

In the end, doesn't really matter to me that much what you do with music, because you people are the ones lacking in the enjoyment of hearing certain bands.  Go on, tell yourself all metal sucks...personally I've never heard a band that's created an album as deep as Tool's Lateralus, or an album containing a more beautiful song than Opeth's To Bid You Farewell, off of Morningrise.  Likewise, I've heard few artists match the light, atmospheric beauty Yanni creates in his compositions or excel above Jamiroquai's ****-influenced jams.  Iv'e yet to hear any electronica artist top Squarepusher's smooth jazz-inspired grooves, and I don't recall the last psychadelic band to put out something better than Pink Floyds Animals.

Some of you people trying to convince yourself X genre is talentless and sucks really should think twice.  Good bands aren't defined by genres, they define them.....when a band is afraid to try their own thing, do something new, and instead they stick to the specific rules of a genre for fear of having their music rejected if they are true to themselves....that's when we get ****ty music.  Genres are simply styles, all these artists are doing the same thing, they're just going about it in different ways.  Learnt o appreciate the beauty in all sorts of music, because it does exist.

585039669[/snapback]

yea and calling me ignorant fool makes you such a better person. imo you think you're really so much better regarding your acceptance or whatsoeva. picking on other users because they don't share your opinion is pretty smallminded. i don't like the music. deal. it's MY opinion. now get lost.

well, certainly there are good choices in that poll. i will have to say its rap, not because it takes no skill as someone said earlier, because it does take an insane amount of practice to be good at it, but because its so popular that the quality of material being put out has dropped. it seems like almost noone has anything good to say, they just describe a lifestyle to keep the bandwagon masses jumping on it, its not an artform anymore, it doesn't reflect life or even makes an atempt to tell a story, hell it doesn't even make sense, they just scream out random words or phrases and its popular (lil' jon anyone?) well, with that said ima go listen to my Crunk Juice cd :) YEAH!!!