Best Editor for xHTML/PHP/CSS?

Question

Hey all,

Just like the title says, I am looking for an alternative to Notepad...for some reason, people seem to think that they are amazing, just because they code from Notepad :huh:.

I am looking for something that would possibly have syntax helping, also. Hopefully, the program isn't very bloat with features I won't really use. Also, free is good :yes:

Any ideas? Thanks in Advanced!

Personally I prefer Quanta+ over anything else but I don't have a Linux box at the moment and I'm not rebooting each time I want to write some PHP(which is very often) so I use Dreamweaver MX 2004, its the best PHP editor I've used bar Zend Studio which I can't afford and the personal edition takes away all the nice features.

although I honestly doubt you will follow my advice:

The best non-WYSIWYG editor in the world is: VIM!  (Vi IMproved).

Download gVim for Windows here: http://www.vim.org/

This editor has an extremely steep learning curve, that is why most people hate it at first.  But once you get use to it, other editors just seem to suck more then anything.  It comes with a rather extensive set of syntax-highlighting definitions.  I mean..it syntax highlights just about everything I throw at it.

For your purposes it is very good at syntax highlighting for php as it can tell the difference between PHP/HTML/Javascript/CSS sections.

Try it, but if you hate it, well...i understand.

585137081[/snapback]

Agreed. Vim is the best editor available anywhere, for any platform and for any purpose (In my oh-so-humble opinion, of course). And if the learning curve on vim is a bit steep, you can try cream instead, which is basically a project to make vim easy to use.

I dont know if it has been said but i use Notepad++, i find it a good highlighter and you can collapse/expand different functions. its great! :D

You all should try out TopStyle, has to be the BEST text/based editor I ever used on the pc, just an amazing app, even validates all your sites too which is nice.