Sony PSP

That said, it seems to me they may be pushing towards digital downloads anyway what with the 5.0 firmware release.

yep o got 5.0l1 OFW yesterday and now the playstation store is there.. then even have downloads as big a 1GB

but yep you put funds on your wallet and buy games directly from playstation store then save it to momory stick duo

i think the only way that could fail is you have ownership of a game when you have a box and a umd/flash chip/dvd/blueray whatever it be and game box etc...

if its just a download what if you lost the file.. oops

if its just a download what if you lost the file.. oops

I haven't looked but if it's anything like Steam or XBox Live you'll be able to redownload for free anyway. I don't think downloads will replace UMD's for now, but it certainly seems an indication of where they may be going. If they are going to allow downloading to a memory stick then perhaps in due course they will distribute all games on it, even if thats as far back as the PSP 2.

Will be interesting what they decide to do with the next PSP in a few years. I don't think UMD's will ultimately prove to be hugely scalable (even if they updated the spec) and I can see them not being supported in the next PSP release unless they support multiple physical formats like Nintendo does. Sure they could support both, but it's a pretty large amount of space to use up to support what I feel will be a legacy format.

Something to worry about down the line I guess.

i suppose so... i been playing gamd demos off mem stick but another thing memory stick pro duo;s would have to come down a whole lot in price to be worth having because if you have say 6 dames at 1.2GB a piece that would almost be 8GB and an 8Gb stick is still expensive.......

I do see it happening though just look at the macbook air and the asus eee pc dropping optical in exchange for fast flash based storage hhehe lol llcatz

i suppose so... i been playing gamd demos off mem stick but another thing memory stick pro duo;s would have to come down a whole lot in price to be worth having because if you have say 6 dames at 1.2GB a piece that would almost be 8GB and an 8Gb stick is still expensive.......

I do see it happening though just look at the macbook air and the asus eee pc dropping optical in exchange for fast flash based storage hhehe lol llcatz

You can get an 8GB stick for $45

• 9 months later...

Holy Crap!

LOL, I opened this thread, from the "latest forum activity" bar, and thought to myself, why is this guy showing pictures of his old PSP, and fat ds, and old ipod, etc, etc...