Apple to drop sub-$500 Mac bomb at Expo

a 15" powerbook has about the same weight as your centrino notebook, except that it is 1" not 1.1" deep

585227920[/snapback]

IBM Thinkpad T42 is officially 1" deep when screen size is 14.1 ".

Based on what SonComet said above, Powerbook and Thinkpad are the same in terms of thickness.

,Jan 4 2005, 05:21]you can get a 17" TFT for 200?, not a big issue imho.

I think it's funny that trolls are grumbling about macs always having a monitor integrated and the high price because of that, and now with the headless mac (maybe) coming, they hate it because there is no monito:wacko:o:

585227138[/snapback]

No, I'm saying; why should the iPod user buy this xMac over the average sub ?400 computer that DOES have a monitor and twice the memory? Forget OSX because iTMS is exactly the same on Windows as it is on OSX. If it were cheaper, say ?300, then it would be a good deal as you Americans have found. However, Apple rips the English off big time with their ridiculous exchange rates, when the pound is so strong!

From what I've read, the rumours, there's no selling point which targets this so called "iPod user". Either; the rumours are wrong, the rumours are missing the main feature of the xMac, or Apple is going to finally charge fair exchange rates. If none of this criteria are fulfilled then I don't see the xMac going anywhere, at least in the UK, because its simply too expensive for what it actually is.

Edited by Knight'

No, I'm saying; why should the iPod user buy this xMac over the average sub ?400 computer that DOES have a monitor and twice the memory? Forget OSX because iTMS is exactly the same on Windows as it is on OSX. If it were cheaper, say ?300, then it would be a good deal as you Americans have found. However, Apple rips the English off big time with their ridiculous exchange rates, when the pound is so strong!

From what I've read, the rumours, there's no selling point which targets this so called "iPod user". Either; the rumours are wrong, the rumours are missing the main feature of the xMac, or Apple is going to finally charge fair exchange rates. If none of this criteria are fulfilled then I don't see the xMac going anywhere, at least in the UK, because its simply too expensive for what it actually is.

585228513[/snapback]

I do agree with you about Apple's exchange rates as they seem to have been using a broken calculator for years, i was actually considering picking up my displays when i was in NY and getting them shipped back home but the shipping and worries of damage stopped me from doing so.

As regards to it selling i think your not cutting the consumer enough slack, least of all Apple, the iMac has been selling extremely well especially in those regions that they have bothered to market it and this is mainly because it represents something that stands out from the rest, to the typical home user the benefits of OS X over Windows aren't clear because consumers just don't know about such things, mind you its something Apple should advertise a hell of alot more. I'm confident if Apple creates a system with enough asthetic appeal as the iMac they will have a winner here.

However as i have stated in my earlier post in all honesty i don't think that this machine was created as a road back into the home for Apple, its a road back into the office. Apple has been working hard on the server and storage solutions and has managed to succeed in creating excellent products, this is backed up by the enormous endorsments they are getting not to mention the reviews for example infoworld putting the Xserve as the best server hardware of 2004 and Oracle not only creating 10g for OS X server but actually running it themselves on Xserve RAID. What corps don't have at the moment is a cheap client solution from Apple, even i would laugh at a firm that chose to fill their offices up with iMacs instead of something that Dell can provide them because the benefits of a *nix system over Windows cannot be justified by the price difference and in my opinion Linux "currently" has too many fallbacks attached to it in terms of learning curve and available software, OS X has that more finished and refined appeal to it with enough under the hood to back it up. Many firms and governments are looking into ditching Windows, for example AT&T is looking to do so on 70,000+ machines and one of the options they are looking at is Apple and before i saw this rumor i would say that Linux had it in the bag but with a cheap enough system maybe Apple has a chance.

Oh yeah and Apple improving Appleworks doesn't hurt my theory.

No, I'm saying; why should the iPod user buy this xMac over the average sub ?400 computer that DOES have a monitor and twice the memory?

585228513[/snapback]

Because it will be cheaper than ?400. Apple with have to charge fair exchange rates, its a new product, and people will jump on this in a second.