tsunami experience

Hi guys.... first of all thank God im still alive. Im glad neowin and the rest actually do care about us here. I was THIS close to death on Sunday morning. It all started at around 11a.m here malaysian time.

I was watching tv and all of sudden i heard someone screaming asking me to get out from the house. I was so damn shocked.... I went to the window and i saw a bunch of people start to run out from their house like mad and some drove away. Within seconds when i turn my view toward the left... i saw water starts to flow from the end of my housing lane. And i was like whattaaa ^%&$%^*. And the next thing i know... water came bursting thru my walls and window and i were thrown away several meters from where i stood. I managed to get hold of the concrete arch between my living room and the dining room. The water quickly filled up my entire house and area. The first wave actually flooded the entire place and within seconds it was up to my neck. When the second one hit..... it hit real bad. It came rolling so damn high untill it completely blocked my view of the sky. And when the second wave hit my area... it took EVERYTHING away. All of sudden my entire upper floor, my rooftop and part of my living room wall totally gone. Only god knows what it bring along. From human to vehicle. All come droping from sky and just smash my body and the entire place like hell. The water level kept increasing to a point where i dont think i can stand it any longer. I dont recall anything when the third wave hit. Just the sound of water splashing everywhere and the sound of stuff bumping around coz im totally underwater. I finally let go my grip when a huge wooden table knocked me off and god... the only thing on my mind that time was im gonna be dead. I got washed away for several meters from my house and I ended up on a neighbour's rooftop a few blocks away. There's like 15 to 20 people on the rooftop trying to grab anyone who passes across them. And im lucky to be one of them. One of them grab me and i manage to get hold of the roof's edge and with my WHOLE strength i climb my way up. After me theres like another 3 to 4 people that they managed to save. Theres just no more space up there. The rest we could only see them waving for help drown JUST LIKE THAT. Blood were all over my chest and hips and yet i feel no pain. I was in total shock.

It took two long hours for the water to actually go away. And during those long hours I saw dead bodies floating across me and some half dead gasping for air. I feel numb all over my body. Everywhere u look... theres at least someone or something floating. What struck my mind was where does all the water came from. The sky was bright... no rain no nothing. Not till i learned that its the quake in sumatra that trigger the tsunami. My housing area is quite far from the shore and yet i almost drowned by it. I cant imagine those people who were at the beach and resorts when it happen.

The moment the water slightly decreased... we got down from the rooftop and kinda swim to the nearest gathering spot. Theres like 5 to 10 groups on one side... another 20 on the other side.... another 5 there... 2 here..... 30 there... and i almost fainted coz i felt so lost at that time. Everywhere u turn to u see dead bodies... u see havoc and panic. I come to a point where i dont know who i am and what to do. I joined one group of people and i start to have a look on my injuries. Moments later everyone starts to combine into one group and we swim/walk as far as we possibly could untill the water level were at our knee. Everywhere u look along the way... collapse houses and chaos. Not even a single sound of vehicle or bird or things like that.... just total silence with screams and shouts of people from every direction. My last aftershock encounter were this morning at around 5a.m to 5.30 a.m. My parents were on the other state spending the christmas holiday. Im at a friend's house at the moment. They close the airport and i have to wait for another several days before i can see my parents.

wow.. thats really scary, ive never heard an account that detailed on the news, thank GOD ur still alive, its a tragic situation, and i have already donated ?10. V. Moving.

wow thats very very scary well done mate ure still alive i donated ?100 and went down into centrel london to give some clothes and sheltering stuff

We are all thinking of you folk on that side of the world. People from all over South Africa are collecting and lots of organizations have already sent people and supplies to those countries that have been affected. I really hope you get you lives back in order as soon as humanly possible. I can only think how terrible and awful your experiance must have been and still is I am sure. All the best and look after yourself and your family. :(

i can't even comprehend what it must have felt like but this description is so frigtening. scary. my friend jody was leaving on the 27th for thailand for another couple months of being a lush like he did last year...he was so shocked to hear about this. if had gone any day sooner...

Bloody hell, thank god your still alive, its extremely tragic the deateh toll of like 125,000 and rising rapidly :(

The second wave must have been massive!!

Hang in there man, hope you see your parents soon

:cry:

dave164

This is the most powerful story I've ever read, if only it were a fictional story and not fact :(

May I be the first to shake your hand on being so very very brave during such a terrible and frightening event. I would have just stayed on that first roof crying and crying with shock.

I hope everything will return to normal as soon as possible, my thoughts are with you and your family.

man come to think that people that actualy live there , im in contact with, dude when i saw the news and all the crying and affraid people i just get chills down my spine, i'm really glad that you made it out alive, cause alot of people didnt :(, but isnt your internet cut out? cause all the power is down and stuff?

I can't even imagine being in that house, considering I can't swim. I'm glad you survived this ordeal.

By the way, how did your PC manage to escape (if it did, since you typed this)?

First I'm very glad to hear that you made it out alive. I've never heard someone tell something that happened to them with so much detail and passion. I feel for you and all the ones in your area, and will pray for you and everyone there. I don't have the words to tell you how sad I am for what has happened to the people of this tragic disaster.

And I'd like to thank you for typing about what happened to you.. I know it must have been very hard to do. Bless you and your family and everyone that is dealing with this disaster.