• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac Mini Questions Thread

bLiZZaRd1284    0

Here's mine :

1. Memory Upgradeable After Purchase? Yes or No, If so by ho much ?

2. Hard Drive Upgradeable After Purchase? Yes or No, If so whe is the size limit?

Edited by bLiZZaRd1284

jerry    0
If i were to get a Mac Mini is it possible to upgrade the memory later?

585281080[/snapback]

Yes. Upto 1GB from Apple's website, maybe more (unconfirmed).

Apex.    0

crucial have a 1gb stick for ?133, i think theres only 1 slot tho.

Dazzla    5

And it's not user accessible so if you do it yourself it's invalidating the warranty.

saxondale.    15
And it's not user accessible so if you do it yourself it's invalidating the warranty.

585281120[/snapback]

Have you ordered one yet Dazzla

prz    1

585281120[/snapback]

Yes, but when you have it serviced simply put your old ram back in ^^

Dazzla    5
Yes, but when you have it serviced simply put your old ram back in ^^

585281174[/snapback]

Sneaky :p there ya go then, I'd just to what he said :rofl:

PureEdit    0

The device uses 2.5'' laptop hard drives, so 80gb it the limit for now. But expect 120 or more within the next year.

1337.g4M3R    0
crucial have a 1gb stick for ?133, i think theres only 1 slot tho.

585281096[/snapback]

so by getting a standard 256Mb one, then getting a 1GB stick from crucial, you are saving best part of ?150 over what apple are charging.

bargain.

mikedc1760    0

Wait for Tiger.

heesey1010    0

Can Airport Extreme be put in later?

QuarterSwede    0
Wait for Tiger.

585281489[/snapback]

Bingo.

Makeshift Hammer    0

can i **** it?

mikedc1760    0

Troll.

Slipdisc210    0

Does it contain a internal power supply? Or does it include a power brick like some of the smaller pc's by Dell?

I am thinking this is why the thing can be so small.

cvcduty    0

If you look at the photos, it seems that the single stick of Ram can be user accessed. HDD on the other hand, I cannot confirm that it can be changed by the user. 2.5" HDD are available up to 100GB. You can buy one for under $150.00.

As far as the PSU goes, I am assuming that it's external... that's how it's so small...

mojomonkee    0
Does it contain a internal power supply? Or does it include a power brick like some of the smaller pc's by Dell?

I am thinking this is why the thing can be so small.

585281528[/snapback]

that's a decent question.

as far as buying one, i'm going to wait until they release a 2nd/3rd revision of the design and parts. as with all apple products (ipod, g4, etc.) it will go through at LEAST one revision if not more and the revisions only make their products that much sweeter.

i'm quite convinced that the mac mini is going to create a significant dent in the x86 architecture's domination of the market since the one thing most all non-mac users state as a roadblock in switching from a pc to a mac is the price (along with games but that is changing too).

Makeshift Hammer    0

Another roadblock is the fact they do nothing. Coming from no computer background at all, they do even less. :(

mojomonkee    0

why are you trolling? you're not even doing a good job of it.

you don't try to troll. you troll or you don't. there is no try.

richlin71    0

i'm a switcher with a little experience with macs, though the last one i owned was a Centris 660 A/V back in the day. right now i've got a high-end Dell and would like to use my mini with as many of the same peripherals as possible. connecting both to my lcd is no problem, as the Dell uses the DVI input and mini will use VGA.

question 1: is it possible to share the same wireless keyboard & mouse? i'm hoping that all i'll have to do is switch the usb receiver from pc-to-mac. or do i have to spring for a usb kvm switch...which is the cheapest, by the way?

question 2: will i be able to access/manipulate files on my pc via SMB over wifi? i don't mind the 40GB drive in the mini mostly because i've got 280GB on my dell. but i'm not sure if i'll be able to run the iLife apps on files sitting on my dell drives...i'd like to use the mac hd solely for apps, and have all my media on the pc.

question 3: lots of people complain about there only being 2 usb 2.0 ports...is there any reason why i couldn't just add a usb 2.0 hub to provide more ports? buy.com was selling 4-port usb 2.0 hubs for $7 the other day.

Makeshift Hammer    0
I'm a ######!  I wish you were a ###### too, but since you aren't convinced something is great just by being told it is doesn't mean you have to bother us.

585281657[/snapback]

Ok then, i wont :no: Sorry :(

Starcom826    25

I remember hearing something earlier about an OSX patch that made it so some third party RAM did not work (I believe it was Kingston)? How would you be able to tell what ram would work and what ram apple has banned (really cheap move in my opinion).

chmsant    0
Another roadblock is the fact they do nothing.  Coming from no computer background at all, they do even less. :(

585281619[/snapback]

Well now... that was an intelligent comment now wasnt it? Lets grow up and stop trying to flame and troll. I am primarily a PC user, but i very much respect the Mac platform. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but to say that Macs "do nothing" just makes you look even more ignorant.

Moving on.... Im not sure if the RAM is user accessable, but i'll see what I can find out. My guess would be no.... just to keep everything simple, but hey we shall find out

mojomonkee    0
Ok then, i wont  :no:  Sorry :(

585281666[/snapback]

cool. thanks a bunch.

Starcom826    25

If you look at the rotating Quicktime picture of the Mac mini with all the other stuff hooked up, there is a box in the back which looks like a power brick. I think the PSU is external.