Mac Mini Questions Thread

- bundled iLife is in Japanese ? Is it possible to change it to English?

Thank you.

585313078[/snapback]

I am pretty sure if you set Mac OS X is to Japanese then iLife would be Japanese too. Apple knows Japan is a big market for them so it won?t be surprising most of their software can be in Japanese too.

I am pretty sure if you set Mac OS X is to Japanese then iLife would be Japanese too. Apple knows Japan is a big market for them so it won?t be surprising most of their software can be in Japanese too.

585313228[/snapback]

Thank you, Phillip. That's means if I set up Mac OS X into English, then iLife will be in English too. May understanding is correct? For me important is to have all in English.

Thank you, Phillip. That's means if I set up Mac OS X into English, then iLife will be in English too. May understanding is correct? For me important is to have all in English.

585313417[/snapback]

Correct. :)

But if you are thinking of getting a Mac, or any electronics device, make sure you deal with the different power plugs. Something I am kicking myself over when I got a phone from another country. ;)

Correct.  :)

But if you are thinking of getting a Mac, or any electronics device, make sure you deal with the different power plugs. Something I am kicking myself over when I got a phone from another country. ;)

585318684[/snapback]

Off topic, but phones (and therefore modems as well) are even more picky from country to country, because the phone systems in different countries use different modulation schemes and sometimes even different ringer currents.

Correct.  :)

585318684[/snapback]

Many many thanks.

so, i'm typing this from my new mini mac that i received yesterday. i was able to pry the case open (there's a video floating around showing how to do it with a putty knife, but i used a screwdriver and a swiss army knife. left a few small marks on the underside, but not a big deal).

anyways, i replaced the ram using the above product from newegg. the ram works fine, but for some reason the 1GB stick is showing up as 512MB. is there any reason why OSX might not recognize it all, or did i get the wrong stick shipped to me? it's clearly labelled as a 1gb stick.

so, i'm typing this from my new mini mac that i received yesterday. i was able to pry the case open (there's a video floating around showing how to do it with a putty knife, but i used a screwdriver and a swiss army knife. left a few small marks on the underside, but not a big deal).

anyways, i replaced the ram using the above product from newegg. the ram works fine, but for some reason the 1GB stick is showing up as 512MB. is there any reason why OSX might not recognize it all, or did i get the wrong stick shipped to me? it's clearly labelled as a 1gb stick.

585335336[/snapback]

damn i wish i could have mine, but it wont ship until feb 15 :(

585335336[/snapback]

Did you get PC2700 RAM, or PC3100 (or another PCxx00)? I read somewhere that if you get non-PC2700, it would show up as the wrong quantity of memory, but would still work (not sure if that means you have the full 1GB at your disposal).

How is the speed on the mac mini? I'm really debating getting one, I'd mostly use it for websurfing, email, and word processing, but occassionally Photoshop too. I was going to get aftermarket 1GB RAM and self-install it.

Also, does anyone know if it matters to get ECC RAM? Does it improve performance at all?

Thanks~

ECC won't even work with the Mini. Also, the link he gave is for DDR333, so its what the mini calls for. Maybe you just got shorted, or some of the DIPs are bad?

One more thought, for those waiting for OSX 10.4 "Tiger"...

What do you all think about the likely stability of Tiger? My experience has been that when an OS makes a major version jump, you shouldn't jump on board right away because there are plenty of kinks. This isn't just Windows; Linux distros seem to be the same way too...

Then again, am I just trying to justify my itch to buy a Mac mini right now?

Speaking of, can anyone who's bought their Mac mini already report any apparent defects with it?

Thanks again~

Apparently, the Mac Mini supports 1GB Max which would mean 2x 512MB, but that's just a guess.

585359631[/snapback]

Nope, its just 1 stick of 1 GB. The mini only has one slot.

Did you get PC2700 RAM, or PC3100 (or another PCxx00)?  I read somewhere that if you get non-PC2700, it would show up as the wrong quantity of memory, but would still work (not sure if that means you have the full 1GB at your disposal).

How is the speed on the mac mini?  I'm really debating getting one, I'd mostly use it for websurfing, email, and word processing, but occassionally Photoshop too.  I was going to get aftermarket 1GB RAM and self-install it.

Also, does anyone know if it matters to get ECC RAM?  Does it improve performance at all?

Thanks~

585357711[/snapback]

that has to be false the mini came with a 256MB PC3200 (CL3) stick from samsung (or samsung chips on it at least)

it now happily purrs with a 512MB crucial PC2700 CL2.5 stick

been compiling on gentoo for a while now, almost non stop, not a single segfault whatsoever (when compiling random segfaults are an easy sign for faulty hardware, like insufficient ram timings, or also overclockers would see this taking their hardware to the max)

i see no flaw with the mini, it is a great product, and runs OS X as well as gentoo

looks great on my desk, is cool to the touch even uner full load over night

to the ECC ram, ECC ram isnt used for speed, it is supposed to correct errors or allow the same, iirc ECC is buffered too and that is actually slowing things down , using ECC in a reg computer that doesnt need or support it is mostly just a waste of money

i meant to add often computers have issue with high density ram/chips

what is high and low density seem to shift over time

but seeeing half of a stick is the usual sign of too high a density stick

But the fact remains that it's still a Windows PC, it doesn't have a dedicated graphics chip or graphics RAM, doesn't have FireWire, and wouldn't be considered by most of the people that Apple is marketing the Mac mini to (people who want to replace a PC with a Mac for as little money as possible).

585283775[/snapback]

I just thought it needed to point out that this is incorrect. The target market for the Mac Mini is not just trying to steal away PC users (that may be a minority), the vast majority of the market is actually first time computer buyers. They are trying to make an entry level mac that someone buying there first computer could afford.

The target market for the Mac Mini is not just trying to steal away PC users (that may be a minority), the vast majority of the market is actually first time computer buyers.

585387265[/snapback]

That's not what Apple's product literature and executives are saying. Apple hasn't had a "it's time to get a computer"?very different from "it's time to get a mac"?ad campaign since the launch of the original iMac.

You don?t have time or resources to waste ridding your system of paralyzing spyware and viruses and staying up to date on the latest patches.

Replace your PCs with Mac minis and spend your time teaching advanced topics instead of basic computer maintenance.

Pretty soon you?ll be using the Mac full-time, with that PC relegated to the testbed.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Best of all, Mac mini purrs along at a whisper-quiet sound level, so there?s no reason to hide it under your desk like an old PC to save your ears.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html

Move2Mac lets you easily move your stuff from your PC to the Mac mini, saving you time and hassle.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/accessories.html

Get connected to the Internet in minutes. Browse the Web with Safari, the fastest browser on the Mac. Safari also will block popup ads if you choose. Send and receive email, while filtering out the junk. Share files with your old Windows machine.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/software.html

1:24:05[/b]:24:05 A lot of people aready have a display, USB keyboard and mouse and so Mac mini will hook up to any industry standard display, keyboard or1:24:30>1:24:30 And we want to price this mac so that people that that are thinking of switching, you know, will have no more excuses.  People that want a second Mac, in their household, or third or forth, really going to be easy.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf05/

18:20[/b]>18:20 New to Mac (switcher) sales are runnign in the low to mid 40% range?with our back to school results we felt that a lot of kids that had good experience in highschool with iPod opted to take a Mac off to college with them.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jan/11macmini.html

at leastat least as concerned with convicing Windows and Linux/x86 users to buy a Mac as they are with picking up the first-time-buyers.

I just thought it needed to point out that this is incorrect. The target market for the Mac Mini is not just trying to steal away PC users (that may be a minority), the vast majority of the market is actually first time computer buyers. They are trying to make an entry level mac that someone buying there first computer could afford.

585387265[/snapback]

Not according to Steve Jobs' introduction, it isn't. He stated there that it was intended for people wanting to switch from a PC to a Mac. Why else would he make the point about it not including the keyboard, display, and mouse because people already had these things. A first time computer buyer wouldn't, but a switcher would.

When the Hell are they going to have the damn Airport Extreme card for this mac mini in stores. Im getting extremely ****ed off.

585393547[/snapback]

I was under the impression that it used the same Airport Extreme card as the PowerBooks and iBooks. Does it (like some of the older desktop Macs) require an adapter for the Airport card?

There's an extra card that's required, along with the internal aerial, for the mini. Surprised you hadn't found that out by now :p

585394843[/snapback]

I hadn't really paid much attention to that aspect of the mini, since it really wouldn't affect me (all of my desktops are wired ethernet, not wireless, and when I get a mini it will be wired as well).

im typing this from my new mini mac and mac set up :D

hehe im loving it, got mine from the USA for ?360 shipped, thats the 1.42GHz spec, also, was lucky enough that it got through with out gettin taxed or VAT'd:DD all i had to do was buy a plug copnverter that cost ?4.49 from argos.

so total of my mini mac - ?364.:D :D thanks to US eB:D :D

Ok, 2 Qs here.

1) My mack mini ships on the 29th and according to the Fedex website it is still in China. :blink: Is this normal? How long di it take the rest of you to get yours from ship date?

2) There has been a lot of press the past couple days on the shortage of Mac minis and iPod Shuffles. I am a little short on cash right now and I was wondering what I could get for my Mac mini on ebay if I sold it "NIB"... FYI - It cost me $975 after taxes. See sig for specs. :yes: If I can't get around $1200 I guess I will just keep it. :rofl:

2)  There has been a lot of press the past couple days on the shortage of Mac minis and iPod Shuffles.  I am a little short on cash right now and I was wondering what I could get for my Mac mini on ebay if I sold it "NIB"...  FYI - It cost me $975 after taxes.  See sig for specs. :yes:  If I can't get around $1200 I guess I will just keep it. :rofl:

585399805[/snapback]

Do a search on eBay on closed items for the Mac mini. See what others like yours have been going for. You could always list it with a reserve price. If it didn't sell, at worst you'd be out a few bucks. At least you could be sure that you wouldn't sell it for less than you wanted.