eXeem 0.18 Released

How can it be shut down...  Its decentrallized.  Kazaa wasnt shut down.  same for this.

585312213[/snapback]

Well first off you can sue(or threaten) the pants off swarm networks.

Swarm Systems Inc.
      Suite 4 Tample Building, Main
      Charlestown 1000
      Saint Kitts and Nevis

or shut down(DMCA threats anybody?) carrot.tomato6pack.com and exeem.com - not sure what 'carrot' is for (ads? spyware ;) ?) but exeem sure loves to access it

Domain Name: TOMATO6PACK.COM
      Created on: 11-Jan-05
      Expires on: 11-Jan-07
      Last Updated on: 15-Jan-05

Administrative Contact:
      Swarm, Systems Inc.  contact@exeem.com

even better: once you've achived one of the first two, insist that exeem release a automatic patch to cripple the clients - autopatching=system can be taken down

trust me, if exeem is as good as sloncek wants us to think, it is going to attract some attention.

#1: It is not technically freeware, since they make money from the advertizements. If you remove those advertizements you are both modifying intellectual property and taking away their only means of income from this project.

#2: It is not fully decentralized. Trackers are still needed for torrent files to work. Also, exeem cannot work without connecting to centralized servers to allow you to download from other users.

It costs a lot of money to run these trackers and servers, including the webserver. It also costs money and resources to keep updating the program itself, if the programmers feel it is not worth it anymore they will stop.

If you continue to take advertizements out I see them moving towards a paid subscription, or charge for the program itself. It is the only way they will be able to continue to run their servers and update their programs. Without that money they will need to find another way to pay the cost of these things, and I doubt they'd enjoy taking it out of their own pockets.

Also, just because a program is freeware does not mean it is not copyrighted. It is still, indeed, copyrighted.

FREEWARE  is Copyrighted software given away free by the author. Although it is free, the author retains the copyright, which means that you cannot do anything with it that is not expressly allowed by them. Usually, you are allowed to use and distribute the software, but not to sell it, and not to pass it off as your own. However, because such material is Copyrighted, the author retains certain rights on usage.

FREEWARE  is normally one of these two :

1 - A pre-mature version of a 'yet-to-come' commercial version.

2 - A software product given out for no cost by the programmer. In both cases, the software will often be accompanied with an "agreement" and/or a "disclaimer" ( normally a simple "read me" text File ).

FREEWARE  normally grants the following rights to the consumer :

1 - Unlimited use of product

2 - Full support of product and future enhancements.

3 - Flexible distribution to other interested parties via websites etc. with a minimal charge for distribution costs.

FREEWARE  conditions do vary, but the essential qualities are basically these :

OWNERSHIP - The author maintains the ownership and copyright of the freeware program. You don't actually own the software, even after downloading it. The author instead grants you a license. This allows the author to maintain legal and intellectual control over his work.

DISTRIBUTION - Is solely left to the will of the author, although restrictions are flexible and restriction of distribution is often detrimental to the advancement and future development of the product - consumer feedback instigates bugfixes and improvements. Nowdays, there is sometimes a small charge against the cost of this distribution, but not always.

LICENSE - This is the author's written permission to allow you to use the software, limited by certain provisions. Usually a license is granted to use and distribute the software, in its unmodified form. This method of allowing the users to distribute to program creates a low cost platform for the program's wider distribution.

COST - The best part. Absolutely free. Unlike shareware, you are required to pay nothing for the use of  FREEWARE  , although contributions are always greatly appreciated, and as website hosting is never free a small charge is sometimes required to download the product.

All intellectual property is deemed copyrighted, whether filed or not.

Edited by knigitz

If you continue to take advertizements out I see them moving towards a paid subscription, or charge for the program itself. It is the only way they will be able to continue to run their servers and update their programs. Without that money they will need to find another way to pay the cost of these things, and I doubt they'd enjoy taking it out of their own pockets.

CORRECT!! :yes:

Which goes back to what I said before..................

You will only end up spoiling it for us all!! .....in the long run!

Is it just me or are these exeem beta threads just a chance for a select few to brag that they're in the beta and you're not?

No its not just you m8...............there is that also :yes: :yes:

For want of another word..........GLOATING! :rolleyes:

CORRECT!!  :yes:

Which goes back to what I said before..................

You will only end up spoiling it for us all!! .....in the long run!

585312491[/snapback]

if they switch to a subscription fee they will get either shut down or they would have to regulate what files can and cannot be shared. so i don't see them going that direction at all.

also, i think they get paid for putting the advertisements in the program itself. it doesn't matter if we take it out ourselves because there is no way to tell. and if there was, people would get around that too.

Now, if people started to distribute a "lite" version, i'm sure the people paying exeem would get upset and might stop doing buisness with them

if they switch to a subscription fee they will get either shut down or they would have to regulate what files can and cannot be shared. so i don't see them going that direction at all.

585312518[/snapback]

They can make people pay for the program itself, like Kazaa did.

But as I said before, if they lose their only source of income they may be tempted to stop the project. First off, without a source of income they will not have money to fight legal battles which may happen down the road. They may not want to risk getting sued then having no money to pay for legal help.

Also, they most likely would not enjoy paying out of their pockets for the servers and future updates for their program. You are only hurting yourselves here.

If, IF I do release Lite.  I will have a donate button to Solncek.  That only be fair.

585312538[/snapback]

Would it be an option to Donate like Bit torrent Client Does, or Required to Donate be4 u can use it?

If, IF I do release Lite.  I will have a donate button to Solncek.  That only be fair.

585312538[/snapback]

I think keeping the advertizements is the only fair thing to do. They are taking a big risk developing this software, and they are doing it all for the users.

Meh, this news doesnt really matter to me. On the Suprnova site it states that it will go into Public Beta sometime between today and next moday. STILL feel 1337 Beta bafoons? :ninja:

If, IF I do release Lite. I will have a donate button to Solncek. That only be fair.

LMAO!! :D

Sorry Sloncek............I removed your Ad's from the software........but I did add a donate button!

:rofl: :D

Would it be an option to Donate like Bit torrent Client Does, or Required to Donate be4 u can use it?

585312545[/snapback]

If you were required to donate then it would be paying. Just a donate button where the banner is.

They can make people pay for the program itself, like Kazaa did.

585312542[/snapback]

last time i looked you have to pay money to download most stuff off of kazza........

correct me if i'm wrong but these guys are trying to make a program were you can freely transfer freeware and shareware without paying anything

is this the public beta?

NO!

The Public Beta will be released as soon as the Ad's are removed and a Donate button is shoved in their place............LOL :laugh:

NO!

The Public Beta will be released as soon as the Ad's are removed and a Donate button is shoved in their place............LOL?:laugh::

585312659[/snapback]

ummmmmmmmmmmm public beta will be released betweeen today and monday

what you are refering too is the "lite version" that is not supported by the developers of exeem...........

ummmmmmmmmmmm public beta will be released betweeen today and monday

what you are refering too is the "lite version" that is not supported by the developers of exeem...........

585312690[/snapback]

hello....

hello.....

this is sense of humor calling....

and i think you may wanna think about getting one of me.....

NEVER???.............REALLY??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: