Job for 13 year old. Computers

now thats a great idea, thats what i used to do when i was a kid, when i was 12-13 i was making around 100-200$ a week during the summer mowing lawns

i have to admit this is hard work but this is as good as it will get for a 13 years old

585364040[/snapback]

well one problem my dad lawn mowing machine is a pc of sh*t. It really crappy and don't even work correctly. My dad only let me do our yard when he is watching me that how old and bad this thing is

I like how the first like five people to post didn't even bother reading the original message :ninja:

I know that I can't get a job at the age of 13 in the us.

So I was thinking of start like my own computer thing.

Dude, don't listen to those...people who don't have the reading comprehension or patience to actually read your post...

If you know your stuff and don't feel afraid, put an ad in the paper. Just make sure to give everyone reciepts and keep track of what you make...you'll need to pay taxes on that at the end of the year.

alright kid...you have to realize that for most of the average people who are affiliated with any kind of a computer system, knowledge about anything comes from two sources

- trial and error...this is more like a so-so shot in the dark with the hope to fall on the good side

- google

if you're the second one, you're no different than the rest...if you're the first one, well, kudos to your success so far, but like you said...if you make an error on someone else's machine, you can't cough up the cash to fix it, so no one rational would like to take a chance at a 13 year old fixing their computer. if it's your own computer, you can experiment all you want which is great...but making money off things that others can do themselves...doesn't exactly work..

things suggested to you..

forget the 'making money to upgrade' pc crap for a bit...use your computer for what it offers you and love it for that...and spend time on something more productive. you probably won't understand the idea behind it at this age (welcome to the years as a teenager)...

if you really are passionate about computer related things...then, select a field, i suggest more on the soft side rather than hardware. it's cheaper, gives you a whole lot of room to experiment, and experience overall..

if you're into designing...think about learning the adobe software suite

if you're into programming...learn some language and create small applications *not cout << "HELLO WORLD!"; crap*...invest time in something that can actually be used.

lastly, if you're really into hardware...then learn about each hardware, how it works, its configurations...by learn, i mean, be able to explain it some total idiot and have them understand what you're talking about.

if none of this suits you...best bet, do good in school and wait till you're old enough to find a real job...until then, volunteer if you can...

to say that you can't do anything at this age is wrong...however, kids who have done something remarkable by this age are exceptions...

im 14 and thats what im doing. it makes a lot of money, alot of dumass's have no idea whats going on and u can charge them ?40 for formatting and reinstalling windows, trust me, I know

dont let these guys crush ur hopes man

If you know your stuff and don't feel afraid, put an ad in the paper. Just make sure to give everyone reciepts and keep track of what you make...you'll need to pay taxes on that at the end of the year.

585364108[/snapback]

Are you stupid? No one is going to hire a 13yr old to do their computer work. Maybe his family and friends. Even if they did, you're telling him to give receipts and pay taxes. Maybe you should go back and read the original post as well. 13 YEAR OLD CANNOT LEGALLY WORK IN THE US. It doesn't matter if he pays taxes or not. Encouraging him to chase something that he can't obtain is only going to make him stay broke longer. Plus, the biggest factor... if he breaks something. Guess what? He's liable. Don't put him through that!

Kid, do whatever odd jobs you can. Buy a lawnmower for like $25 at a yard sale. Invest in some gasoline. Boom! Instant startup business. Go around and give the nice little pitch to your neighbors.... get as many jobs as you can. That is the only way you are going to be making any money.

Well, you're 13. Too young to join the workforce due to child-labor laws. If you were going to do it "under-the-table" for friends, family, ect. Go for it? As long as you know what you're doing. I work at the Apple store, I'm 17, and I had to take a test to prove I knew the O/S and how the harware worked. I'm guessing more places do that then just Apple. Or get certified.

Is it true that I might be able to find a job at 14 cause I turn 14 in may 2005

585364190[/snapback]

No.

EDIT: Goold ol' 300 posts. Whoo. :fun:

Edited by Dacracka

I'm kind of horrified by the way you guys are talking to this kid. Come on now. He's 13, and yes maybe he's not so modest, but give him credit for doing what he's doing at 13.

Hey man...keep trying. Any type of experience will help you out in the future. Don't let these yehoo's crush your hopes. It is gonna be hard to find any type of job computer related at 13, but talk amoung your friends at school. See if any of their parents are having computer problems and see if they'll let you look at it. Go for it.

:alien:

Is it true that I might be able to find a job at 14 cause I turn 14 in may 2005

585364190[/snapback]

You gotta be a minimum age of 16 (According to UK laws anyway).

You gotta be a minimum age of 16 (According to UK laws anyway).

585364240[/snapback]

It's the same in the US. I think you can get a work permit in some states at 14 or 15 though.

Yeah kid, don't expect to be paid much. You know what?

You can actually just do some free jobs you know? Thats what i did.

Then someone told me i should be charging people for what i do, i did awesome jobs with peoples computers. I would put kick ass software and everything. Pretty soon word started to go around that i knew my stuff. People give cash here and there, but its not because i ask for it. I feel good when i can help people out. Because of that, the Network administrator and teachers of the IT classes asked me to help them out. I am now a Network administrator at my school, i am in a "special" info tech class with 4 other administrators at my High school. We can do anything in that class, we experiment with computers destroy them overclock whatever, its all for the learning experience. That brings me to my point of even if you don't get paid continue doing what you do, You'll get something more valuable in the long run. Great work experience it's something you can't learn from books. You see theres plenty of Techs out in the "real world" but most of them don't have a lot of experience that you will have for years before them. :) Plus if you make a good impression on your teachers youll get a hell of a letter of reference.

Ps: sorry for any spelling mistakes i am not going to bother to read that again. haha!

well you should here some of the stuff people buy the computer store to do. Such as reinstall windows, fix spyware, cd drivers, etc... There are to many regular joes that are chickens

and what do you mean buy

Make a website geared to 13 year olds to fix computers like I have listed above??????

And I can install linux but I really can't operate though it because my current hardware doesn't support linux. Wireless usb card and printer

I'm aware of this. I can put together a whole computer. I can do a good amount of trouble shooting but if something get screwed up like a cpu I won't have money to replace it and then I would be in big ass trouble

585363903[/snapback]

Well for my age I know a lot. I could setup a server. It would take me time to figure the networking but I can do it. I know a little bit of programing. I can build a new system (or at least im trying) so far so good. I've change computer cases. I've made unattened install window discs w/ other things also installing. I know more than I appere to know. I know more than my computer teachers :p, but I'm only in grade school (last year of it)

585363958[/snapback]

Please stop being rough on me (everyone)  :cry:

All I want is a summer job. I need money. I get a max of $300 a year. I'm good at comptuer but willing to do just about anything. And my dad don't support me. He like I screw up my computer tough luck. He won't really help me. Won't buy anything for me even a simple fan. If he willing to get me or my sister anything he won't let me get any computer parts (fans, hd, etc....). I'm trying to convince him to let me buy a power supply of newegg. He doesn't think computer are meant for gaming. I just want some money. I want to get a decent comptuer that would last me for some time. After I get my good comptuer I'll have to start saving up for a laptop for college or maybe late years of highschool if I get enough money before hand.

So if anyone has any ideas it would be great

computer releated or not

585363993[/snapback]

:laugh:  I like that idea put I bestbuy might get really mad at me. And I don't feel like being arrested

585364009[/snapback]

well one problem my dad lawn mowing machine is a pc of sh*t. It really crappy and don't even work correctly. My dad only let me do our yard when he is watching me that how old and bad this thing is

585364081[/snapback]

A respectable business would never hire someone who came out of the glamourous US education system with such spelling and grammer, but the fact is that no one would hire some one who spells piece "pc" and this sentance is horribly written "My dad only let me do our yard when he is watching me that how old and bad this thing is" The fact is why would a retailer hire an inexperienced 13 year old who cant even work in retail until he is 16 when he could hire a much more qualified high school/college aged student that probably has better grammer skills. Mow lawns damnit or quit your bitching about only $300 a year.

A respectable business would never hire someone who came out of the glamourous US education system with such spelling and grammer, but the fact is that no one would hire some one who spells piece "pc" and this sentance is horribly written "My dad only let me do our yard when he is watching me that how old and bad this thing is"  The fact is why would a retailer hire an inexperienced 13 year old who cant even work in retail until he is 16 when he could hire a much more qualified high school/college aged student that probably has better grammer skills.  Mow lawns damnit or quit your bitching about only $300 a year.

585364342[/snapback]

On neowin I almost never check my grammer / spelling I just talk how I feel

OK, here's what you do. You stand outside Best Buy and tell people that if they are there to upgrade, after they make their purchase, you will install it for them for like $5. It's perfect! The Geek Squad charges $30 to install a stick of RAM! You could make a killing, assuming Best Buy doesn't kick you off immediately.

585363983[/snapback]

:ninja: hmm.....

im 14 and thats what im doing. it makes a lot of money, alot of dumass's have no idea whats going on and u can charge them ?40 for formatting and reinstalling windows, trust me, I know

dont let these guys crush ur hopes man

585364135[/snapback]

What the...Something is messed there...40 for inserting a CD and clicking next while typing in the appropriate info. You have to be kidding me. That is such a rip off. I do that for free all the time. Hell, when the MSBlaster worm was wrecking havoc I could have made big money, but for what. For simply running Worm Removal Tool..

I say at most the only clients you will get are family members, friends, and friends of those friends. I would just forget about this and get a real job. It would look much better on your resume later on in life.

I'm 13 too and it would be great to just get some cash... I've built a computer for my brother so far and he seems to love it. Unfortunately he will NOT pay me. :angry: I am thinking about just going small and building computers for family members and friends, that way I can earn a bit of cash and spend it on some junk. I have done the basic stuff like formatting, backing up and stuff for relatives and stuff and they seem amazing by how much time i'm on the computer and how i know these things. Its funny though because these things are pretty easy and straight forward. I say just keep learning and expand your knowledge, it will probably will be helpful when you can get a job.

^ i'm trying to do the same too :laugh:

^ another thing - when old enough try to get into the geek squad :D

I would think you need some training before anyone offers you a job doing what you describe.

This is your time my man. Don't let it slip by. Get in school and stay in school.

Don't focus too much on making money right now, because it'll roll in eventually. Fix your friends' computers, family, etc.. Last year I made about $300 doing simple things like building computers, setting up a network, reformatting, protection from spyware and adware, etc.. I never asked anyone to pay me, they just payed me for my troubles. I'm only 14, though I'm turning 15 this Feb.

Most of you neowin's are being a bit harsh here. I started out fixing/experimenting on my own pc...then my friends, then the parents friends....word soon spreads, you may only be doing 1-2 pc's a week for ?10 a pop, but you can't complain. Just do what i always have done.....if you don't know what your doing, make sure that they get the impression that you do, then learn FAST!!

Don't listen to anyone that is bad mouthing you for your age, its pretty crap anyway til you hit 21+ then they will stop discriminating you with less pay....

And to anyone who flames me, well....i got nothing to prove. I like neowin, but theres WAY to much bitching going on nowadays......if it continues i can see users starting to leave.....come on, play nice! :yes::

man you guys...give him a break.

im 14 even though im not some pc whiz or whatever these holidays i helped a few people with their pcs. stuff we think of as "general knowledge" most of the people out there dont even know about.

i helped reformatting pcs, upgrading pcs, removing spyware, removing viruses, optimizing pcs and just other stuff as a favour to people.

[like even my uncle had something wrong with his printer. and i figured out that service pack 2 had stuffed it up so i downloaded the patch and gave it to him.]

all these "little" things impressed everyone alot and i was 'donated' about $150 altogether.

so you see its not that hard. most of the people out there have about as much computer knowledge as my pet cat and by doing little favours you'll earn their respect and gratitude.

like dont try to go over your head and 'wow' their heads off. just do what you're capable of and you'll get far.

just dont listen to what these guys say. like you dont hafta do anything illegal and dont hafta start business or anything. just count on the people you helped to spread the word and youll get far.

:yes:

so you see its not that hard. most of the people out there have about as much computer knowledge as a cat and by doing little favours you'll earn their respect and gratitude.

like dont try to go over your head and 'wow' their heads off. just do what you're capable of and you'll get far.

just dont listen to what these guys say. like you dont hafta do anything illegal and dont hafta start  business or anything. just count on the people you helped to spread the word and youll get far.

585364563[/snapback]

I agree completely. Also, some people don't have the time to fix things themselves or learn, unlike we teens and kids.