Job for 13 year old. Computers

you can try house calls...the problem is that you need reliable transportation. unless you live in a city with mass transit, that's probably not happening. in the mean time, i would just try to teach my self some programming skills.

you may not get money right now, but it'll help in the long run.

I install pcmcia cards for people.  $20 flat charge.

585364575[/snapback]

It's quite easy, really. And the money comes in lumps too.

You see,

The customer can't figure out how to install the hardware.

They come to me with $20. I do it for them.

They accidentally press the eject button, and come back with $20 for me.

its funny how most people saying that we're harsh are 13-14 themself lol rolleyes.gif

I'm 21 just so you know. I just think its totally irrational to bash him. No reason whatsoever. Tell him he can't get a job, but don't tell him he knows nothing. Cuz at 13, he knows a hell of a lot more than most 13 year olds I've met.

its funny how most people saying that we're harsh are 13-14 themself lol :rolleyes:

585364596[/snapback]

well maybe thats because weve proven you wrong because weve actually achieved this :p

It's quite easy, really.  And the money comes in lumps too.

You see,

The customer can't figure out how to install the hardware.

They come to me with $20.  I do it for them.

They accidentally press the eject button, and come back with $20 for me.

585364631[/snapback]

yeh i totally agree. like they dont know what the hell's going on and you can just go in and fix it...simple! ;)

Just help out at a local mom and pop computer shop.

Don't expect to be paid much or at all though.

Why do you want to work anyways? Focus more on school for right now, it gets harder in high school. Plus, do you really need the money? I am 14 and there is no reason for me to have money at all.

Why do you want to work anyways?  Focus more on school for right now, it gets harder in high school. 

585364800[/snapback]

he wanted this as a holiday job....read the other posts :rolleyes:

Just help out at a local mom and pop computer shop.

Don't expect to be paid much or at all though.

Why do you want to work anyways?  Focus more on school for right now, it gets harder in high school.  Plus,  do you really need the money?  I am 14 and there is no reason for me to have money at all.

585364800[/snapback]

and I want a good comptuer that I can play good games on

Just a matter of time before this is closed, because;

1. The moderators enjoy closing threads, because it anoys people. OR the moderators are too lazy to CLEAN the posts ( Delete the nasty ones ).

2. It wil be closed alltogether because people are going over the top, and giving the kid sh1t.

When you turn 14, go work at your local grocery store. They'll hire you.

585364984[/snapback]

I'll consider that, but they hire 14 year old. Well what ever all I got to do is call up and ask. Thanks to anyone that has helped me and not dissed me

Wow, why is this kid getting put down?

I think it is great for a 13 yr old to have computer skills.

At 13, I was about the same. I did computer repair/installs for people. My work was spread solely through word-of-mouth. I would start getting calls every once in a while saying "John told me you are good with computers. I need help!". I told them I charged $20 an hour, and off I went.

well, heres what u do. and what i was thinkin of doin sometime. ohh btw im 15. ok but anyway, to make some good money due odd jobs for a while. build a cheap good comp. have u r parents sell it like they got it somewhere and like u didnt build it :shifty: i dunno, i may try it sometime. and just wait till u r in high school man. im gettin rdy to go into 10th and im goin to be takin some linuc/unix/mac/win os classes and mabye a prog. class. you will get much smarter as u go along. i was prolly the same as u when i was 13. i had college friends that taught me a lot of stuff. well gl kid.

Wow, why is this kid getting put down?

I think it is great for a 13 yr old to have computer skills. 

585365011[/snapback]

we're not......it's life that's putting everyone down.... ;) ...

anyways.....stuck to your day job kid....(school)....school is the only why you can...well...do stuff and not get wasted...you could do computer work...but do'em for free...cause...well...even if you mess up.....what can you say?...you were just trying to help. And when you get older and have more experience, finished school and is ready for the real world with a degree....go give'em hell... :yes:

but for the time being...stick in school...and oh yeah..for your money problem....get a job at a Grocery store or something when you turn 14-15ish...

its not crazy, there are many 13 and 14 year olds here including myself :D

585365079[/snapback]

no offence, but you prolly dont know much. when i was 13 i thought i was one 2, but then i soon learned that i had much to learn, and still to learn

Having the knowledge to repair/maintain a computer is only half the requirement of a PC Tech. You also need to learn that when you're fixing someone's machine, you're either dealing with their personal life or business data. Either way, if you make a mistake or end-up losing their data, you have to be the better person and properly compensate them despite the fact that you may have already lost that customer.

Second, when you build computers for someone, you either have to sell it 'AS IS' - no warranty, or you provide your own warranty service. If you sell things 'AS IS' get ready for... you guessed it... no business because people aren't going to pay 700+ dollars for a damn thing without some warranty.

If you offer the warranty service, you have to be willing to accommodate that customer, and this usually means choking on some money. We all know some components are only worth what you pay for them, and face it... if you're 13 ballin' over money now, how are you going to sell a top-of-the-line PC?

Finally, you also need to remember your reputation. A 13 yr. old generally hasn't even begun to mature; therefore, you probably under-estimate your abilities or over-estimate. Usually you over-estmate because you're incapable of understanding everything and you don't account for something happening. No one will hire someone that can't provide a deadline or do what they say.

Face it - at 13 yrs. old, you just cannot make a living by building / repairing / maintaining a computer. This is why most PC Techs are paid 35+ K - 45+ K. Because they usually know their ****, have certifications, and have a degree.

This may sound harsh, but it's the truth... move on and be happy

Interesting topics, and I totally support you boy!

Its going to be hard for you to gain some acceptance from customers considering ur age, but maybe if firstly you gave them a free support than maybe they might be able to see your potential, so remember, 1st impression counts.

I'm only 19 when starting my freelance job fixing PC's but I already face some distrust from some of my clients, let alone at ur age, but if you have the potential of fixing PC's and doing it satifactory, I bet you can gain some customer and if u're lucky, start your own smallish company with good customer base when you are old enough to make ur own company. But thats still long way off, the important thing is make good impression of your customer, and the rest is history :)

Just be patient and don't expect to get money from them first, their trust to you is important, after trust is gained money is a simple thing.

i dont mean to bash, but usually hotshot kids that think they know a whole lot about computers are just blowing off a lot of hot air most the time. just because you put together a pc doesn't exactly make you qualified. that's why we have certifications, to prove that you know you're stuff. other than that, good luck and don't lose hope. ;)

I'm 13 and right now I am spending any spare time that I have learning stuff. Such as installing Gentoo Linux, which is a friggin' pain in the ass to do.

I can build PCs, and everything that involves it, of course. Hell, I even have a client. Basically how I feel on th=e situation, is that I don't thionk I'd be quite ready yet to work at a computer store. Especially since I know ****-all for French and live in Quebec :pinch:

Basically what I am trying to say, is, use your spare time to learn what you can. I've got the day off on Friday, so I have to redo my ****** Gentoo install. Ain't something you're alwauys gonna get the first time.

As for what happened with the client, they originally had a Dell Optiplex Gs (now sitting in my basement canabalised) that the computer store refused to fix for some reason. I offered to fix it in my spare time, w/ no charge. This was +/- 2 years ago I think. I now come over to fix the computer whenever it decides to give a light show, if you get my drift. The only thing that I find odd, is that they give me 30$ for XP install. I offer to giove some back ,but they won't take it, lol.

I'm pretty tired, so I apoligize if any of that made no sense.

Well, if you want to do something a little less techincal, go to an elderly apartment coplex and put your name and contact info on the bulliton board, there are plenty of old people who need help with their computer....thats what i did when i was 13 :)

Build and sell websites! Or use them to make revenue.

I'm 15 now, and have already made over $1,000 doing the above in just a few months, which for a kid my age is a lot doing something I enjoy. It really doesn't take long to learn how to work with websites and create ones that will sell/make money. Just search around, learn XHTML/CSS, its what summer is for :)!