Job for 13 year old. Computers

ok...i'll say sorry before i begin.

1) you are not a genius of any kind my friend...by no STRETCH of your own imagination should you see yourself as a genius.

2) its been said and repeated...you can install a computer and build a computer...that makes you normal. you CANNOT install a server and set it up properly...ok you can maybe install Win2KAS etc but this does not even come close to what you have to do for a server to be properly classed as a "server"

you think you could setup a domain controller and support an active directory properly? i DONT think you could. prove me wrong.

3) stay in school...as said a few times here...WE [yes me included] have missed their opportuntiy...im 20 now and work within the tech field and trust me...its HARD and CRAP when you come in there "knowing" the stuff but you dont have that little itty bitty piece of paper to prove you know how to do it.

4) Stay In School...yes again repeated.

5) Stay In School...

ok enough from me now - and one more thing...take life a little less modestly your not a genius...you MIGHT be if you listen to various people on this baord and take their advice, this place has some REAL advanced people who DO KNOW THEIR STUFF and who are "guru's" etc.

stick with it young man...stick with it.

maintenance is different than web design... :rolleyes: it's easy to throw a table in a page and put some HTML text in there... it's different to actually come up with and sell a design.

I too caught my calling late. i'm 25 now. I have 32 college credits to my name. That's it. And a certification. I've made my way thru real know how and hard work. It can be done. And believe it or not, not everybody wants some college snob who thinks he knows it all anymore... they want people that really can do the job... not people who drug their feet thru a few classes.

im 16 and i do computer repairs, teach my fellow noob friends how to run softwares, prevent spyware and all that stuff, even as far as delivering games to them. i even do hardware and software advisory like what hardware to pick.

all at no cost.

:cool:

Really don't care how i get it

585364021[/snapback]

If your DESPRETE hit your block's corner and start slinging :rolleyes:

With 13 your not really gonna able to get any job. Mow down lawns and sell lemonade cuz there aint nothing really you can do..

It's really great to hear somebody of your age being so enthusiastic about computing. Don't be put off by your peers and take it one step at a time. I started out messing with computers at the tender age of eight and now i'm 20 I have a fantastic IT career ahead of me. I too wanted to fix and build computers. I was very academic at school and that has helped me a geat deal. However, it's not only experience with computers that guarantees success. You need to develop your people skills so you can liaise comfortably with end users, be they family, friends, co-workers or business associates. Some of the posts have mentioned reading up on certain subjects. Although this mustn't be overlooked I would also match that with 50% hands-on. Get involved in any extra-curricular activity that helps you to further advance your skill and knowledge. A friend and I in sixth form college studied 2 years of Cisco CCNA and as a side project we researched and developed an external wireless network; do anything. I was later employed by my former school as an ICT Technician and later moved to a similar post with better pay and now I'm inundated with offers of private work. This year I will be starting my Computing BSc Honours Degree. Work hard and trust me; you'll build the best PC money can buy!

ya theres alot of dinks around here that will try to put you down but trust me most people who had skills at a young age did something similar.

i worked under the table at a childrens play-center managing a network when i was 14, and afterwards i'd do random upgrade/repair stuff as i got better with the tech. soon after i taught myself webdesign which was where i made most of the money when i was younger.. its not as easy now but if you live in a small town standards are usually pretty low.

to everyone who's saying 'rofl omg who doesnt know how to reinstall or upgrade pci cards" honestly you've probably never walked outside, because 9/10 people are complete retards when it comes to even the simplest tasks. computer places charge like 100 bones to replace cpu fans etc so theres definitely money to be made here and a demand for this sort of thing. even tutoring people in how to do basic tasks is an option

i'd say just put up a few flyers in your area, maybe at shopping areas around your house or whever there's space for bulletins.

and dont worry about parents shooting you down kid, when i was younger i'd rearrange program groups in windows 3.1 and my dad would give me hell for 'deleting the computer' so most people fear what they don't know. if you break something yea it sucks but i've never had to service any of my work and as long as you're careful neither will you. most people who hire a 13 year old will do it to save some cash and dont expect a 4-year extended warrenty.

so get out there and make some bling!

This is getting funny :p

1) I would never in the world trust my beloved computer (or even my crappy old computer) to a 13 year old even if i was paid loadsa with full insurance on top

2) You have to be 16 before you can even consider working decent hourse and getting a 1/2 decent pay, like me in April : :yes:

3) The jobs you listed are really really n00bish, i was considering a buisiness and i was gonna do stuf like that for free as it takes about 10 minutes of time

4) The jobs you should consider are when you learn more, e.g. installing a whole new computer and configuring it, virus removal, maintenance, troubleshooting, setting up a network, etc..

5) Sorry to put you down but KEEP ON DREAMING, IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN FOR ANOTHER 3 YEARS

At the moment i would recommend getting a paper round and save up for your pennies, if your parents dont belive that computers are for gaming and won't allow you to get new things, etc.. then forget it completely i guess cos untill your 18 and leave home or your parents change there opinon theres nothing you can do. If you want a serious machine that will last you for a time like you said then getting $300 a year (like you said again) just aint gonna get it for you, technology is changing rapidly and by the time you have your first $300 then buy a part, it'll be all over by the time you have your next $300 and you'll need a new part again. I would get a paper round like me (i get about ?500 a year:(( ) and buy parts and upgrades yourself and get given stuf for christmas and birthday.

Sorry for putitng you down again, but reach into reality, its not gonna happen, at your age computers could be just a fad, something your interested in for a while (like pokemon cards) but then you aint after a year. I know personally cos ive:heart:: computer for years that i want to make it my job.

@aximxp: I dont know who in your area does cpu fan replacements for $100 but its nothing like that in England, yes people are complete retards when it comes to computing and they pi@@ me off cos its so basic to me and they cant do it... But thye are wise with there money, and to a 13 year old they will do it for about $5 and say run along to mummy now

Well as crazy as it sounds I'm a computer feek/genius for my age  :p

Well I need to make some money to get a decent computer by upgrading.

I know that I can't get a job at the age of 13 in the us.

So I was thinking of start like my own computer thing.

I was thinking of doing some basic stuff

1. reinstall windows

2. upgrade windows

3. Install CDROM Drives, etc...

4. Install PCI Cards.

What steps are needed to be taken in order to put this plan into action. I have a lot of time. Won't do anything much untill the summer

585363784[/snapback]

your not old enough to obtain a business license. try to help out friends or people you know to earn money. your 13...do you even know DOS? If you havent mastered DOS then your hardly a computer genius.

1. reinstall windows

2. upgrade windows

4. Install PCI Cards.

I do this stuff for free with people i know. plus much money cant be made off these services alone.

ah yes that was one thing i was gonna say "genuis" was einstein, not you, you just know how to reinstall Windows and a PCI card,

GAIN SOME EXPERIENCE

Lol there was this one guy for me once who said that he'll pay for a new hdd, and ill fit it for him, i was like ok, ill do it for free and he was like no i'll pay you ?30 to do it, i was like ok..... But then his parents took it to the shop and got it done for ?100 (including hdd). So if i can't do it for freinds at 15, i dout u'll be able to do it at 13.

I do things for bingham. (another Neowin user) cos he lives down the road, and needs a bit of help on doing hardware things, so i do things like you stated for free, such as installing thermometre digital display, cable management, etc...

your not old enough to obtain a business license. try to help out friends or people you know to earn money. your 13...do you even know DOS? If you havent mastered DOS then your hardly a computer genius.

1. reinstall windows

2. upgrade windows

4. Install PCI Cards.

I do this stuff for free with people i know. plus much money cant be made off these services alone.

585368689[/snapback]

He's plenty old enough, there is no age requirement for a business license. I applied for mine at 17, so age doesn't matter.

I don't really see how you have to "master" dos, either. You probably need to know basic things, such as Fdisk / Format, and some copy commands. Nothing too difficult.

He's a kid, you guys should cut him a break. I'm sure if he made $20 everytime he did such service, it would be plenty money for him.

I encourage you to do this, be it for your friends, or family.. just charge $20 for the service each time, I did this until I was about 17.. made some pretty decent money doing it, then I opened a business.

Good luck.

Aximxp is absolutely correct. Another tip I could give you on a point he made about people wanting a kid to do it on the cheap. Of course people will not expect to have to pay what they'd pay PCWorld (although the chances are they're more likely to get it back in working order if it's serviced by you) but don't let people take you for a ride. I've done work for family for nothing; this goes without saying (unless they insist on paying you). However, on a number of occasions i've had domestic jobs and even a business that have either not mentioned money or have refused to pay at all. Sadly some people will try their luck and you have to be the one who calls the shots. You are providing a service and you should expect to be paid the fair amount. Work out a minimum "call-out" charge making sure to undercut the competition. Five dollars might be a nice starting price and work out an hourly rate. Most people will assume a price before they know what the problem is and what it takes to fix it, especially if you're a young person. Stand firm and be assertive but remain professional at all times. If you do a good job the chances are your name will be passed on. You'll be surprised how quickly it can happen too. Who knows? You may be absolutely snowed under with work come the Summer!

at 14 i was able to assemble a computer code in C++ and use linux .

and ofcourse i have tried 1000+ progs for optmizing systems etc and it was fun i helped my friends in using their comps did'nt make money but i had good treats from my friends i would say first impress someone older than u like in ur school or somethin and then try for job etc

Well, if you want to do something a little less techincal, go to an elderly apartment coplex and put your name and contact info on the bulliton board, there are plenty of old people who need help with their computer....thats what i did when i was 13 :)

585365273[/snapback]

I like that idea. They might hire me if I list my prices. :)

hey kid!

go outside and play football, dont waste ur "best days of ur life" infront of a flipping computer screen... jeebus!  :no:

585365289[/snapback]

I sit in front of the compute screen cause it my hobby and I hate sports that one of the reasons I don't have any friends :(

Build and sell websites!  Or use them to make revenue.

I'm 15 now, and have already made over $1,000 doing the above in just a few months, which for a kid my age is a lot doing something I enjoy.  It really doesn't take long to learn how to work with websites and create ones that will sell/make money.  Just search around, learn XHTML/CSS, its what summer is for :)!

585365296[/snapback]

I can't do graphics. That my big problem with web designing

You already have a job!

You are probably a student at some school somewhere... do your homework... and start begging your parents for a new PC...

585368591[/snapback]

They won't buy me a new one they say the one I have is good engough

4) The jobs you should consider are when you learn more, e.g. installing a whole new computer and configuring it, virus removal, maintenance, troubleshooting, setting up a network, etc..

At the moment i would recommend getting a paper round and save up for your pennies, if your parents dont belive that computers are for gaming and won't allow you to get new things, etc.. then forget it completely i guess cos untill your 18 and leave home or your parents change there opinon theres nothing you can do. If you want a serious machine that will last you for a time like you said then getting $300 a year (like you said again) just aint gonna get it for you, technology is changing rapidly and by the time you have your first $300 then buy a part, it'll be all over by the time you have your next $300 and you'll need a new part again. I would get a paper round like me (i get about ?500 a year:(( ) and buy parts and upgrades yourself and get given stuf for christmas and birthday.

585368669[/snapback]

I can do all that:yes::

And I might consider getting a paper route, but would my parents let me do the billing icon14.gif

And they letting me upgarde it but only with my own money won't spend a penny to help me:((

Since this is turning into everyone's story:

I'm 21. I am the Online Manager at The Times and Democrat (http://www.thetandd.com) a daily newspaper in Orangeburg, SC.

I started screwing with computers when I was like 7 years old. I really got more serious when I was around 12 or 13 and started building computers (for myself), etc. I fixed computers for free for friends and family and got my name out there. For money I was mowing lawns. Luckily my parents were into computers as well so they supported me by typically keeping nice hardware.

A friend of mine had an uncle who owned an ISP and computer service center and when I was 14 I worked there repairing computers. They didn't have enough work to do so when I turned 16 I took a job at 2 restaurants to make money. I worked at those for like 6 months and then got a job doing telemarketing. During this time period I was studying computer networking, designing websites for fun, using computers 24/7, and learning more and more.

When I graduated from HS I started my own business called Orangeburg Business Solutions (http://orangeburgbusiness.com) and billed local companies $50 per hour for computer networking and computer services. I worked at this for 3 years while going to a community college to get an Associates Degree in IT.

After I got the degree the money at the business wasn't steady enough and while it was good sometimes it was really bad sometimes. I took some certification tests (see signature) and I started looking for jobs for more stability and benefits and was really looking for something in the Computer Networking field.

I received 2 job offers in networking, one as a Network Administrator for a company in Charleston, SC (60 miles away) and the other as a Network Technician with BlueCross BlueShield in Columbia, SC (40 miles away).

At the last second I saw the job offering on TheTandD.com for an Online Manager and just applied for the job thinking I wouldn't get it anyway. I got a call to schedule an interview and took the job the next day over the first 2 offers. I've been pretty happy ever since.

I've enrolled at DeVry University to finish my Bachelors and I'm going to finish my MCSE and CCNA when I get done with those. I'm not sure that I'll stay in web design, but it's good for now.

I also write a column called Living with Technology that is published every other Saturday and it gives me added exposure.

My suggestion to you is to study computer topics and try to learn as much as you can. The best thing you can do is have focus of some sort and try to set your sight on a goal at an early age so that you can get there early. If I were in your situation with your parents not buying nice hardware and I wanted it that bad I'd call all of my uncles and aunts and ask them if you can mow their lawns during the summer for say $30 bucks. You'd be surprised that some will be willing to help you out.

They typically will let you use their mower and gas to do it for that rate.

Good luck.

i can do all that eaaaaaaaaasy.... im starting to learn about networks now and im just about to go to college after the summer doing networking and ICT (im 16). Then after my qualifications i can start a job in computing otherwise buddy u got no chance. maybe do it for a couple of makes but ure not gonna make big bucks from it. Im the smartest in my high school and i probly know as much as the technician (if not google it.

End of the day kid you arnt gonna get anywhere yet. i can do all that stuff and sometimes i will do it for mates and not even charge, its what being a good friends about. Just keep practasing on your own machine(s) and trial and error !

My suggestion to you is to study computer topics and try to learn as much as you can. The best thing you can do is have focus of some sort and try to set your sight on a goal at an early age so that you can get there early. If I were in your situation with your parents not buying nice hardware and I wanted it that bad I'd call all of my uncles and aunts and ask them if you can mow their lawns during the summer for say $30 bucks. You'd be surprised that some will be willing to help you out.

They typically will let you use their mower and gas to do it for that rate.

Good luck.

585368986[/snapback]

Like the idea, but my grandmother doesn't have money, my one uncle is to far away, and finally my other uncles is a landscapper so he won't pay me :p he probably won't even let me cut the grass.

Thanks to everyone he was given me ideas

I have never seen so many immature people on here when it comes to young adults.

I see every other post being ''Hey Kid, you'll never make it.''

Please don't condescend this person. Do not tell him that you know more information than him, by listing the items that he SHOULD know.

First of all msg43, I hate to say this, but tell your father that he is an idiot. He should support you in everything that has to do with goals that you want.

Now for your situation I advise the best thing to do is a one-time free service for friends, and friends' parents. Now all you must do is show your level of interest. If you really love to do this, make sure you let them know that. Now at this point it is perfectly fine to ''story tell''. If they have questions or anything. Lie about it. If you don't know the answer, make up a decent lie and try to amaze them. And lie about all the computers and things that you have built. Tell them you built and fixed hundreds of computers for free just because you loved to do it so much. But now you must start to charge. That will tell the person that the work is burning you out, and that you need to charge in order to do the service that you simply LOVE to do. And if you don't charge you can't do the work, and your amazing abilities won't be seen by other people.

You will become their idea of their new ''computer handyman'' and ''computer genius''. Who will soon be glad to pay you, just because of your knowledge, advice, and love.

But the main key is that usually parents of friends and friends and family WILL tell other people. And you will then be in their possession.

As in:

''Yeah I have a computer handyman who fixes anything I need.'' They are claiming that you are theirs. And that will want the person the parent is talking to want you even more.

Good luck.

seriously man that would be awesome

but a word of advice

dont get ahead of yourself because people can put alot of responsibility on you and if u fail at it ur screwed basically

good luck

oh and btw dont come on the internet to give new ideas because there are jackasses everywhere who will put u down all the time

Well, you will have a tough time as a 13 year old. I have my A+ certification when I was 13, and no one hires me. Then When I was 15 I get my MCP, and they still don't hire me. When now I am 17, that's when people actually hire me.

But, good luck!

I wanted to do computer stuff at 13 too, kid, and it just ain't gonna happen.

As for a job, try seeing if you can be a bag boy at your local grocery store. You can usually get hired there even if you're younger than the legal age to work (dunno why, probably some sort of loophole).

If you're still dead-set on doing computer stuff, then you might be able to do stuff for family friends if they know that you're good at it. I got hired by a couple people when I was 13 or 14 to do computer work for them.