how many of you here have switched to mac?

Originally posted by darkmark327

the only problems I've ever had with XP were with glass2k which has a tendency to randomly BSOD (which is not the fault of XP) and bad drivers which were easily rectified with driver rollback...I have never had XP lockup (even when some crappy site started spawning hundreds of IE windows I still managed to save it)

...begs the Question, How much have you "toyed" with XP!? i know a lot of People who get BSOD's ... And Coincendently own an Nvidia Graphics Board... there's DEINFATELY an issue, Something that needs 2 be looked at! No end of Drivers have led 2 me "Giving up" and Suffering BSOD's! ...

Now i just think, "hell, its windows ... i can smell a Crash, its in the Air" ... << Yawn >>

NeYo

Would never switch to mac, I've been using PC's since the 80's and plan to keep it that way. PC is best in terms of price, usability, and the fact that most people use PC's at home. Also, macs lack the availaibility RAD languages like Delphi, VB, etc.

oh please I toy around with everything. Every problem I've had is my own fault for playing around too much. Like the time I permanently messed up my user account and had to reinstall windows. (long story). or the (several) times I've foolishly installed various versions of Intel Application Accelerator in hopes that the new version would fix the many many problems that plague it. (this always results in strange problems that are never fully fixed except by reinstalling windows).

all i can say, is In my eyes, XP's Stability Sucks in Comparison 2 X! i don't give a crap about the "amount" of hardware Support, if thats an issue for argument, that its one which favours the arumentor into Purchasing a Mac!

NeYo

Yeah I gotta go with Neyo on this one. The one thing Windows is known for over any other is that it is very succeptable to crashing. Granted WinXP is better than previous versions, but it still crashes too much. You could never leave a windowsxp machine up for a week without seeing a performance hit. And of course with that comes crashes galore.

The biggest thing i like about Macs is ease of use. Need to install a program? Most of the time you just drag the file to your hard drive. thats it. Want to unistall it? Just put that file in your trash. All gone. Want to unistall a program in windows? Well...is it even possible to totally get rid of an app in windows without formatting? All those dlls and crap.

As to one reason why a Mac is better than PC, well that varies from person to person. For me, Macs are better because of price, ease of use, better performance, the hardware won't go out of date as fast....etc etc. Now I am a former PC user...not even 2 months removed. Had never really used OSX before outside of the messing around on a G4 at compusa. USED to think like most pc users do...I used to think macs sucked...how they were so slow...how they were the inferior product...and that they didn't play games. Well...I held that opinion until actually read some things about Macs and actually used one.

Thats pretty much where all these Mac bashers are at...they can't stand them...they think Macs aren't as good, etc...but yet they've never taken the time to use one or actually read some current info. You can say Pcs are better till you are blue in the face...but being a former pc user, I can say they are only good for games. Everything else (including quite a few games) can be done and done better and faster on a Mac. Don't like it? well you can either keep whining about how bad macs are, or you can take a step out of your little world and get a clue.

EDIT....oh yes...and try to keep to the topic of the discussion. He didn't start the topic to read about how many mac bashers are ignorant. Its an interesting thread, minus a couple posts....

I personally think people should use whatever they feel best meets their needs. I see both sides here bashing and trying to say that mine is better than yours like a bunch of juveniles.

I personally prefer the PC. This argument that hardware gets out of date much quicker is bunk. No one every said you had to update, you can always stick to what you have as long as it is working and meeting your needs. Now if you like to stay cutting edge and want the latest and best, then YES, with a PC that is difficult. However, that is why PC's software and hardware pricing is so competitive, is because not one single company like APPLE is controlling everything.

Everyone know that when all this started out Apple had the much more superior product over Windows. But because of their greed to want to try and control things, they have lost out to Windows and PC's. They remained proprietary and it created a situation where software companies and hardware companies have just not been so willing to build products for Mac.

Having worked in Internet Tech Support for a long time, I have always found that those that like Mac's generally will go to extremes in defending them. Most PC's owers really don't give a darn one way or the other, although I am sure there are some fanatical PC owners too.

So, MAC or PC get what works for you! I don't care for MAC's never have and never will and that is based on my experience of supporting them and using them. For me, I just get more mileage for my money and many more configurations and much more support via hardware and software for my PC. That is what works for me and that is why I use a PC. If you like Mac and you want it, then you have your reasons why you do and that is okay with me. But all this going back and forth really makes you all look pretty juvenile and silly to me.

Also the comments on Windows XP. I have used Windows XP since RC1 was released and I've quite frankly never had a crash or blue screen and that is on my desktop that I built from scratch, along with my Toshiba Laptop that came natively with Window XP. By the way, the person that said you can't keep windows up for very long. My Desktop has been running 67 days without a single reboot. So, you need to say YOU'VE not been able to successfully run XP in that manner, but I assure you there are lots of Windows XP users that keep their machines up for days, weeks and even months.

But once again its lets attack each other, instead of saying this is why it doesn't work for me or this is why I don't like or I do like macs or pcs. I am sure some of you will attack me, but that won't surprise me one bit.

Originally posted by otacorb

respectively snipped

actually, all the mac users i've come across on this board are pretty smart and reasonable. no one will attack you for your post, actually, none of the mac people in this thread really attacked anyone. the only person doing the attacking was that one tosser. what you said was mature and you backed up your reasoning, and you didn't resort to name calling like someone else. c'mon, we aren't that cruel :p

See, now otacorb and zivan56 actually contributed to the argument with decent points as opposed to the random babbling of darkmark327.

As for remote control of your desktop on XP, you do realise you can do that on OS X as well don't you? Oh you didn't?

I still have my laptop and I love XP on it. It's easily the best thing MS has made, but, when I solely had that, I used to use it as a workstatin during the day pretty heavily and left it on downloading during the night. After about 10 days using it during the day became laggy, not so with OS X. I was surprised because every time you go to se it during the day it was like a fresh boot.

Another reason I switched to mac was because I had the privelage of an extensive tryout. I was due for an upgrade of my laptop and I was originally going to get a kick ass athlon system, I didn't because I was trying out the macs and using Final cut pro, iMovie, iTunes, Photoshop7 and Flash MX. There was no reason for me not to go for a mac for once.

I'm not gonna sit here like a mac zealot and say that I didn't get XP because it would blue screen on me every ten seconds, I know it wont. No-one ever buys a mac without trying and if you do, you are foolish. You mght not get on with the OS or whatever.

Since I got my mac, my productivity has gone up. Now I don't know whether or not it's because it's a novelty having something new, or it genuinely increases productivity through ease of use.

As for the GF2mx being crap, you do realise you can get GF4 Ti's, which came out first on mac I might add. And knowing nVidia, maybe the GF5 will come out first on Mac, just as the 3 and 4 did.

And for Chipi, yes it's very abundant. There's a very active mac warez scene.

And on the hardware accleration of the GUI, yet again you've proved your insolence by not reading the thread. I have already mentioned that in OS X 10.2, OpenGL takes over aspects of the GUI a la Windows Longhorn (eta 2003/04) with Direct X 9 so just that aspect shows how far ahead that particular part of the GUI is of Windows.

And what does that have to do with anything? the PC has photoshop as well

Because it's GUI was designed for 1 button mice, that's all. :roll:

They kept the UI in the Mac to PC port.

Not that it doesn't work well with 2+. but you really find that you get the work done quicker by using the mouse/keyboard combinations i.e. CTRL-click to load a layer mask rather that running through the right mouse button menu.

--

unspec

OK let me put it this way...

give me one good reason to switch from PC to Mac

oh hell it doesn't even have to be a good reason...just tell me one advantage a Mac would have to a PC

They don't have the worlds worst depreciation.

--

unspec

i want a mac too, but i have no money!

i have a p4 1,9ghz box, with geforce 2 ultra, 640 Mb of rambus and 60gb hdd.

someone want to exchange? :D

i really want to switch to mac, but got no money for that :(

I've kept my system up for 2 without any performance hit, I only needed to restart for a driver update. And I have used a Mac but couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes.

Originally posted by Dazzla

you can get GF4 Ti's, which came out first on mac I might add

No, GF4 MX's came out first which are inferior to even the GF3 Ti200

I've kept my system up for 2 without any performance hit, I only needed to restart for a driver update. And I have used a Mac but couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes.

Kept it up for 2?

What does that mean?

I would be very surprised if a windows system stays up longer the a *nix system.

Do you mind elaborating as to why you couldn't stand a Mac for more than 10 minutes? I am very curious to hear some reasons........

Mabe you should have tried longer, I don't know. just curious as what could have blown you away in 10 minutes.

Originally posted by GatorZx2

Do you mind elaborating as to why you couldn't stand a Mac for more than 10 minutes? I am very curious to hear some reasons........

Mabe you should have tried longer, I don't know. just curious as what could have blown you away in 10 minutes.

Exactly, it reminds me of some of the mac zealots I see on Macnn. They say that they simply turn on a PC with windows XP for 5 minutes and talk about bugginess and Blue screens proclaiming it to be the worst OS ever. :roll:

I would buy an Imac if they where cheaper to student using them for school. Not just ?100 cheap because i rather buy a pc but if it was alot cheap i would use macs.

Kept it up for 2?

What does that mean?

I would be very surprised if a windows system stays up longer the a *nix system.

I meant weeks but forgot there would be posts between the one I was replying to and my reply

Originally posted by KO

I would buy an Imac if they where cheaper to student using them for school. Not just ?100 cheap because i rather buy a pc but if it was alot cheap i would use macs. >

Yeah, I was disappointed with the pitiful ?100 off, but it still fell within the magical student loan price range.

Exactly, it reminds me of some of the mac zealots I see on Macnn. They say that they simply turn on a PC with windows XP for 5 minutes and talk about bugginess and Blue screens proclaiming it to be the worst OS ever. :roll:

Yea, generally people don't like what they don't understand and often become stubborn and hateful. As with both "Maclots" and "Windroids", most of them don't understand the other's OS and tend to not like, or even hate it.

XP Crashed again today, Entirely Out of the Blue ... F**king thing, Doesn't matter how many times u Re-install it, it Still gets up 2 what Windows Is reknown for! .... i AM CERTAIN its All Down 2 the XP - nVidia pair up... will it EVER be Fixed?! ... i'm sick of downloading drivers that Don't aid it in ANYWAY! ...

Cus when it Crashes, it Cocks up a Lotta Stuff ... i lose my Temp Files on P2P For Example... its a B****D! Argh!

NeYo

Originally posted by GatorZx2

I liked how it looked, it does have nice eye candy (I was using Glass2k to make my windows semi-transparent too but as I said that results in random crashing and in all honesty I don't care too much) but anyway I really just couldn't stand the unfamiliarity (yes I know I could learn it, buy why? the PC can do everything the Mac does) although I hate using other windows machines for that reason (I have my PC customized very different from the default) but I would say the main reason is inferior gaming performance. I being an avid gamer require the cutting edge performance and compatibility that only the PC can provide. Essentially it boils down to "Macs cost more and look nice (I love the design for the new Imac with the attached screen) but do less."