Long term effects of cannabis?

Mary Jane is illegal because governments CAN'T control it. Anyone can grow/sell it & that makes it so Big Brother can't collect his taxes. Anyone remember Prohibition? Alcohol was outlawed for a time but, eventually, the law was repealed. Why? Because Uncle Sam found a way to control the manufacturing of it. Look at it this way. How many U.S. breweries are there? Not too many- mainly just major players (Budweiser, Coors, etc.) who make a bunch of different beer & give it a bunch of different brand names. I did a study in my economics class when I was a Senior in High School (1990). If the Government legalized the good 'ol refer & put a tax on it... the National Debt would be paid off in less than 8 months! Go figure. :)

If the Government legalized the good 'ol refer & put a tax on it... the National Debt would be paid off in less than 8 months! Go figure.

I thought drunks and smokers paid a large part of the tax system already?

Haha imagine if everyone actually listened to the politically correct whining from the goverments of most countries and stopped drinking and smoking. Goverments would be bankrupt within months.

and were not even touching on tax and Mr "I have a car so I'm a stupid dumbass tax me please" Driver.

Long tem effects? Well you get dependant on it and after awhile, it just doesn't provide the same high you may have used to experience. Then you look for harder stuff and we all know where that leads. What makes me so knowledgeable? Perhaps you should speak to my dead cousin.:sleeping:

Originally posted by Dclanz

Long tem effects? Well you get dependant on it and after awhile, it just doesn't provide the same high you may have used to experience. Then you look for harder stuff and we all know where that leads. What makes me so knowledgeable? Perhaps you should speak to my dead cousin.:sleeping:

No disrespect but it's people mental state that takes them that far. It can be anything in real life that gets you into a fragile mental state (loss of someone close, loss of a job ... whatever). It's not cannabis that killed your cousin.

I know several people that use cannabis for over 15 years now and it has absolutely no visible negative effect on them. I'm not saying it's good but they know how to handle it, they have jobs, family and friends and are smarter than the average Joe (and they use large amounts of cannabis). I've seen people do stupid things because of pills, cocaine and alcohol but never cannabis

As Neobond stated I also think it's the smoke that's worse

wow. cannabis has done do this to me:

- reoccuring memory problem (i cant remember things sometimes)

- sluggishness (i let myself move slower and lanky)

- i developed somewhat of a studd.dd.er

although..... i have not noticed ANY sign of dependence or loss of intelligence. i am soon-to-be sophmore in high school, and made one of the highest grades on one of my Gateway (to enroll in the higher class) exams. and have made A's on every one of my tests this six weeks in Algebra I (and believe me, my teacher is hard).

i make A's and B's and buy lots of cannibis... i plan to quit sometime during this summer and when im 21 (cannibis that is, not school). im still as logical on issues as much as i used to be pre-cannabis days (a year ago :-). but i do know this from reading a government handbook... you CANNOT die from smoking pot. it is NOT addicting. it is NOT a gateway drug. it is LESS HARMLESS than alcohol. smoking TOBACCO will kill you quicker.

i stand corrected. i only smoke what i know about. i am a very cautious individual and i would not touch a drug that i knew could be very harmful to me and provide negative long-term effects. thank you for listening to my *****ing.

Is the long term damage reversible

Like smoking, in a few years your lungs will recover, but it has now been published in a few scientific journals that in laboratory tests cannabis has been found as more carcinogenic (cancer causing) than tobacco - and it's been found that even eating it can damage you - although I can't remember where I read that (new scientist I think as that's the only journal I read regularly).

As for long-term I think personally it depends on the mental state of the person taking it - the paranoia experienced when smoking can be funny to some but can also scare others (as a few of my friends have found).

Saying that I drink far too much so will probably end up with some sort of liver damage if I'm unlucky. There's no way of determining how something will damage you really as it depends on loads of factors - I have relatives who have smoked and drunk all their lives and they're still fighting fit at 80 (but who knows what their insides will look like - if only your lungs/liver were somehow visible - then ppl would see the damage and think twice about what their doing). ;)

Originally posted by Dclanz

No offence taken Redmak. Guess it still bothers me a little.

And it should bother you. It's not like nothing happened. It just shows that different people react differently to drugs.

actualy ur brain doesnt repair damaged brain cells but u do grow new ones. and whoever said it in a earlier post i have heard it dopes shrink ur nads but drinking any soda with yellow 5 in it does that to. and it takes a life time to actualy take an effect so by the tiem ur 70 u wotn realy care will ya? and the best pro pot thing i could say is breathign air outside in most cities in the world causes far more damage then a lifetime of smokin Ganja. theres alot of people out there that have been told lies bout pot cuz its illegal but realy if its so bad y is the goverment testing it so much on people laitly as medicine, just soemthin for any anti pot peopel here to think about.

Originally posted by fizik3

wow. cannabis has done do this to me:

- reoccuring memory problem (i cant remember things sometimes)

- sluggishness (i let myself move slower and lanky)

- i developed somewhat of a studd.dd.er

And I feel glumb.

It gets worse when I am tired.

One of my friends still takes it and he used to be quite bright. He was getting B's and C's and now he is getting D's and E's. He has major exams this week as well and he is still smoking the weed. He squeels all the time as well. Wierd. He is propa f**ked!:dead:

if its so bad y is the goverment testing it so much on people laitly as medicine

As a medicine you don't smoke it and it's alterred so you don't get hihg (think they remove the thc)

But I agree. A friend of mine has a brother in law with cancer. He was so skinny it was scary because he didn't eat. Now he smokes pot and he looks a lot better because he eats. It doesn't cure his cancer but it makes life just a little better for him.