Virtual Windows 2003 Server - Try it out!

That wasn't me.

Well, I logged in and an error message said 'could not delete diskmgmt.msc' - (WTH).

So I pressed X to close everything and then an NT-USER message appeared saying shutting down because a process terminated unexpectedly.

I logged off and now can't get back on again.

Was someone trying to delete system files lieb39? - or is that you.

Wasnt deleting any files.. weird. It's coming back now.. I have it autorestart now. Just in case people really screw around with it I have a backup image, so I can get it back in about 5 minutes...

Back online

-lieb39

Is very slow, got the user logon window thing up that is later covered by the startbar.

Will hopefully get it to work soon :)

Thanks for hosting this and letting people have a play!

Dougal.

Is pretty nifty dude! As I said on the note I left on the desktop; any chance of you writing a guide on how to set this up? WOuld be nice to play around with remote access on my own server.

Even just being pointed in the direction of the right documents. :)

Cheers.

Dougal.

Here's something to fix. I was able to get into Program Files... not that I'll do anything like ****ing up stuff and ****. Don't worry. :D

EDIT: And on the Neowin.user folder in Documents and Settings... I never thought you'd put it there.

Here's something to fix. I was able to get into Program Files... not that I'll do anything like ****ing up stuff and ****. Don't worry. :D

EDIT: And on the Neowin.user folder in Documents and Settings... I never thought you'd put it there.

585478607[/snapback]

Security issue fixed. No access to the c: drive anymore. I'm going to be installing stuff and giving users more rights... anyone care to suggest any rights or programs they want?

Cheers,

lieb39

Security issue fixed. No access to the c: drive anymore. I'm going to be installing stuff and giving users more rights... anyone care to suggest any rights or programs they want?

Cheers,

lieb39

585480161[/snapback]

woah thats one locked down user there.

I agree with dougal.s, write up even a vague guide on how you did this. I'm sure it'll come in handy for a kiosk project like a library database station.

No point of writing a guide really. In my home network, I have a seperate Windows 2003 server thats a domain server. I just made the client out on the internet apart of the server, and enforced some tough ass group policies. If you have a XP machine you want to lock down, by itself you can simply log into it, (must have admin rights until it's customized) and run gpedit.msc. Of course, the computer part of it will apply to the computer, and all users logging on.

Thats about it...

-lieb39

tricky to do in XP Pro. I'll post a little FAQ tomorrow. oh, server is back up and i'm going to add a few functions.

585480727[/snapback]

I tried using Pro but I only have 1 Internet connection for 1 computer but I need 2 PCs connected to the Internet (host PC and guest PC) for it to work. I'm getting a Home Network soon so that might work. I'll try at school - but the proxy might block Remote Desktop connections.