An Awsome Honda

With a good driver? A good driver would utilize that beautiful thing called AWD.. S2000's are about the only Hondas I truly like, but the DSM could take it.

too bad all wheel drive eats up a bunch of the engine's power, so it never makes it to the wheels...awd is a nice system, but technically a rear wheel drive will perform better with a good driver (take 2 cars identical, but one's rwd and one awd, rwd will win so long as the drivers are capable with their vehicles)

It has serious street cred in the UK - my ass! :no:

That car is OK, but still a big fugly hunk, something built sleek, fast and has and is from italy would earn you street cred.

It has serious street cred in the UK - my ass! :no:

That car is OK, but still a big fugly hunk, something built sleek, fast and has and is from italy would earn you street cred.

585611514[/snapback]

Sure... if you can finance my new ferrari or a Lamborghini i will ditch the Honda legend :cool:

:alien:

I'm not sure of the exact year, but some point in the mid 1990s, Acura decided not to give their cars proper names anymore, instead used numbers and letters to represent different models, copying german car makers such as BMW and Mercedes. Other japanese luxory makers, such as Lexus and Infinti, also use the same naming convention. So for Acura, the new Legend became RL, Vigor became TL, and Integra was later known as the RSX.

Actually its Acura TL not RL (honda rsx)

585506747[/snapback]

Can't be bothered to read all this (only read first page), but you're wrong the Acura RL is a Honda Legend:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_...onda-legend.htm

And on another note, do you have any pictures that you've taken of the car, cause right now I'm not so sure you actually own it from what I've heard from you..

With a good driver? A good driver would utilize that beautiful thing called AWD.. S2000's are about the only Hondas I truly like, but the DSM could take it.

585611356[/snapback]

The AWD isn't a huge advantage. I've seen plenty of videos of AWD DSMs getting crushed by FWD cars.

Probably not stock FWD cars. AWD is a huge advantage in acceleration, look at the 60 foot or 0-60 times of any AWD car. For the engine horsepower, it will always be considerably faster than a FWD/RWD car. The problem is maintaining power for an entire quarter mile. But still, there are a lot more restrictions in racing on AWD turbocharged cars than there are on 2WD cars. And for a good reasoin.

Ah but its possibile that a not so rich person could enjoy the luxury and the power of a "real luxury" car without paying that price! thanks to cars like the honda legend

btw Legends are 3.2L V6 300HP standard, It quite powerful you know even for todays standards and its pretty light weight compared to bmw's n benz's = Excellent weight to power ratio and better handling.

585519671[/snapback]

First of all as far as I know the 3.2L that it came with was either 200hp or 230hp, depending on the year. Not the 300hp engine you claim here, but even if you're talking about the new RL it's not a 3.2L engine, it's a 3.5L engine, so no matter what you don't know what you're talking about...

Can't be bothered to read all this (only read first page), but you're wrong the Acura RL is a Honda Legend:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_...onda-legend.htm

And on another note, do you have any pictures that you've taken of the car, cause right now I'm not so sure you actually own it from what I've heard from you..

585612911[/snapback]

Acura RL

Click on the above link if you folks are interesed in the 2005 Variant of my Legend - This is the new version of the original car (even the name has been changed to RL) but hey it still exists!? a cool design with hi tech features and the honda reliablity - this may well be my next car:pp .

This is a bargain Luxury car - cheaper than a lexus and half the price of Similar spec'd mercs n bmw's yet u get even more feature n power

585512411[/snapback]

First of all as far as I know the 3.2L that it came with was either 200hp or 230hp, depending on the year.? Not the 300hp engine you claim here, but even if you're talking about the new RL it's not a 3.2L engine, it's a 3.5L engine, so no matter what you don't know what you're talking about...

585613039[/snapback]

A bit further down the post i changed it to RL after realizing it was a mix up and according to acura.com this model does have 300bhp as standar:huh:h:, All legends after 1995 came with the 3.5L engines as far as i know... besides 0.3 of a liter is not a big difference is i:o:o

From Acura.com

The 2005 Acura RL is not just an all-new, class-leading performance sedan. It's the quintessential luxury sedan. Upon first glance, its dramatic styling beckons. On closer inspection, its countless technological feats are overtly apparent. Case in point: a 300-horsepower, V-6, VTEC? engine and the revolutionary Super Handling All-Wheel Drive? (SH-AWD?).

no, whp generally equals hp. bhp is the odd-ball that in all honesty shouldn't be used by car manufacturers and should be reserved strictly for engine builders selling crate engines

EDIT: I messed up what I said above (I'm not deleting it, cuz I just don't believe in that)...WHP is not a standard measurement (for some odd reason) SAE Horsepower is the industry standard. That is with all power-sucking attachments attached. BHP Is measured at the flywheel with nothing else attached. It is the MAXIMUM output of the engine at the MAXIMUM operating RPM of the engine. In nearly all cases you will not come anywhere near this rpm level, so even then your horsepower will be cut down.

Edited by MR_Candyman

BHP is basically the same as crank HP. That's HP measured at the flywheel. That's what is advertised (in the US) - in Europe you'll often see BHP - which is only slightly different.

Wheel HP is what is measured on a dyno. It is usually about 10-15% lower than crank HP on a 2WD, and more like 20-25% less on a 4WD/AWD.

Edited by threedaysdwn

lol  bhp used till 1971? then why do companies still use it ? lol

585613604[/snapback]

why do SOME companies still use it? Simply, to make it seem like they have more horsepower than the competition. It is in fact required by law to state if it's bhp (at least here in canada). You ever see bhp, then subtract at LEAST 15% and then you'll have a better guess on real useable horsepower

My point Exactly, I was talking about Hondas Engineering Superiority over Bmw's and Benz an

My initial thought on this thread was that it was the funniest thing i've ever read. U are an idiot, and don't know what the hell ur talkn about. Plain and simple. I think everyone here recognized that by the response.

As for your car...decent. The rims made me vomit in my mouth. :x

Sorry to be so harsh. Somebody had to say it.

Probably not stock FWD cars. AWD is a huge advantage in acceleration, look at the 60 foot or 0-60 times of any AWD car. For the engine horsepower, it will always be considerably faster than a FWD/RWD car. The problem is maintaining power for an entire quarter mile. But still, there are a lot more restrictions in racing on AWD turbocharged cars than there are on 2WD cars. And for a good reasoin.

585613035[/snapback]

Actually a FWD will always be faster in a straight line than an AWD (of an otherwise equiviliant car) on dry pavement.

AWD gives you a better launch (so your 60m will be faster), but adds a LOT of weight, and has a much greater drivetrain loss (torque lost between the engine and the wheels).

AWD gains a huge advantage in the wet/snowy/icy/dirt, etc. Anywhere that traction is a priority. AWD can also help a lot in the curves.

If you're talking about supercars with 500-600HP or more, then AWD can help a lot in actually putting that power to the ground. Still, a RWD rear-engine car (think porsche 911) will get plenty of traction in the dry without the added weight and drivetrain loss - and often with better manueverability in the corners.

I am a big fan of AWD/4WD cars. I just like driving them more (That's why I have an Audi A4 w/ Quattro). I also live in NY, so weather affects that decision some.

If I were buying a very high power car like an M5/E55 AMG/RS6 - AWD would also be very important to me. The E55, for example, almost constantly is using its traction control to get the power down. The M5 is a bit better there, but I would feel like I'm making much better use of that 500HP with the RS6 and it's 4WD, and with much more harnessed control.

Despite that, even Audi's fastest racing cars are RWD. The R8 (Le Mans champion), A4 V8 touring car, and I'm pretty sure some of the RS6 racecars are all RWD. Rally cars, of course, are a different story.

ok, let me make this simple...you said acura.com said 300bhp, fair enough.

assuming 80% efficiency (average), then 300bhp*0.80efficiency=240whp

these are just rough calculations. My guess is you're actually getting the 230 that was quoted by somebody else earlier.

proof of calcs: http://www.abacusracing.com/dynoinfo.htm

585613630[/snapback]

What are you comparing that to?

Most everyone uses BHP or crank HP (SAE) to compare. WHP is never given by the manufacturer. You'll only find that out if you dyno it, as drivetrain loss will vary by vehicle.

As for names...

When Honda started their American subsidiary, Acura, the first car was the Legend. It was the only car Acura produced for its first years. There eventually came different Legends with different body styles (coupe, 4dr sedan, bigger sedan) - with different engines. Acura later began branding these as the CL (coupe), TL (sedan), and RL (big luxury boat). The names were displayed as "3.2CL" or "3.5RL" - with the engine size displayed first.

The "L" in CL, TL, and RL stood for "Legend." ALL of those cars were the descendants of the original Acura Legend.

They also began selling the Acura Integra (virtually the same as the Honda Integra, except made in the US and tweaked to meet the higher US safety/emissions standards).

Recently, they changed the Legend-based cars to simply be the TL and the RL (I don't think they've launched a new CL yet, but I could be wrong).

They also changed, as Honda did, the Integra's name. The 2-door Integra is now the RSX. The 4-door is the TSX.

What are you comparing that to?

Most everyone uses BHP or crank HP (SAE) to compare.  WHP is never given by the manufacturer.  You'll only find that out if you dyno it, as drivetrain loss will vary by vehicle.

585613636[/snapback]

What do you mean what am I comparing that to? that is the USEABLE horsepower of the vehicle (whp). BHP and SAE measurements also vary a LOT. Do you realise how much strain even a simple air conditioning unit or an alternator causes on the engine? That translates to lost horsepower. I can't be bothered right now to dig up theoretical differences between SAE and BHP, but I'll estimate around 5-7%, let's say 5%. 300*0.95=285 (still not really close to 300)

Edited by MR_Candyman

You're right, but most manufacturers do not list that. It is nothing that I already didn't know, I just know that its all marketing. No company is going to undersell their car.