• No, M$ is 73h $uck
    • No, i use linux/OSX and MS doesnt like me
    • No, i use win 9x/2k and MS doesnt care about me

I would switch back:

If it was up to standards.

If it was as secure as firefox

If it was still as fast as IE6

If it had tabs

If Firefox doesn't improve at all in the next six months. (Not likely)

I don't care about activex, except for windows updates.

Then Firefox would be one less program to install after format, and it's annoying having to do clean FF installs for every upgrade.

the whole "not compliant" arguments are a non-point.

585536362[/snapback]

According to you.

If i wrote a web site in proper XHTML 1.1 Strict (or i could use XHTML 1 Strict), with CSS 2 (or i could use CSS2.1), and served the mime types correctly, you cant view it (ie will try to download the page, but it wont show it).

Just if you dont know, XHTML 1 was accepted by the W3C in January 2000 (Revised in August 2002), XHTML 1.1 was accepted by the W3C in May 2001, CSS2 was accepted in May 1998 and CSS2.1 was accepted by the W3C in February 2004 (it's not even fully supported by firefox, but that's cause it's using a older version of the gecko engine). Yet IE doesnt support any of them.

Won't Windows Update require product validation soon, and doesn't that require Active X?

Aside from this, I've used Opera for the past 2 years and have no intention of switching back.

Already use IE and nothing will make me switch, I don't trust open source and I'm not going to pay $$$ for a browser (like Opera)

585536008[/snapback]

You trust MS but you don't trust open-source? :blink:

Although it doesn't support standard or whatever, there are just so many websites that are made for IE, and most of them looks sh!tty with Firefox.

585536046[/snapback]

Actually Geckos Quirks mode is very good, I haven't seen a site that doesn't look right other than MS for a long time.

I tried Firefox and honestly thought it sucked. I have no use for the tab "feature", which is just a gimmick IMO

How can a feature be a gimmick, especially when its useful for most people? :huh:

and it was no faster than IE.

Gecko 1.8 is a lot faster though so that arguement will be mute when Firefox 1.1 is released.

Also, I have never had any problems viewing any web pages, so the whole "not compliant" arguments are a non-point.

585536362[/snapback]

Because webmasters spend hours hacking up perfectly valid code to work with IE, as stated above IE doesn't even attempt to display XHTML 1.1(if it is served as per the standard with the application/xhtml+xml mimetype) and its CSS support is very dodgy.

i also see some firefox features gimicky. my favorite IE feature is the ability to disable plugins. Really i use it to disable flash because i hate it. I agree that IE needs to be more standards oriented and be less forgiving to bad code. Really i use FF and IE for different purposes. I don't feel one is more secure than the other so long as you keep your WinXP patches upto date. I really hate it when things like this gets let loose for the fanboys to argue.

Summary.

1. Both browsers are Swell

2. I use both currently

3. IE DOES need to be more standards oriented.

4. FF fanboys need to just place the word " ff fanboy" on their posts without arguements. Our imaginations will fill in the details of every possible arguement you will make anyway.

I'll stick to Firefox for my main surfing. :yes:

I'd only use IE7 only for sites that require it, such as Windows Update and to get the full benefits of services such as Hotmail.

I'd be more inclinded to use IE if it wasn't built into XP. Since MS are pushing it on you doing so, my natural instinct is to be a rebel and use something else.

If IE7 was quick, secure and had something new, I'd definitely use it...along with FF.

I would switch back only if it was worth it (aka the browser is actually improved and decent). The main thing I'm worried about is spyware. Right now, running firefox, I can do a spyware scan months after my last one and still have 0 objects found. I haven't had spyware in months really... and I'm glad for that, and I know the only reason I don't have spyware is because I firefox. If I open internet explorer and browse basically any website, I have a ton of spyware in seconds.

ah, even if IE7 became more secure, in less then 2 days there will be flaws discovered and exploited, and again the story will repeat....

I want security and tabs, and sometimes use IE as FF cant display em propely, and its more robust.

its CSS support is very dodgy.

585536514[/snapback]

Yeah, it only supports CSS1 Reduced, but only if you use the valid doctype (which you should) but if you add the xml thing (what's it called, the line beginning with <?xml) it breaks IE rendering (it thinks it doesnt have a doctype, so no CSS1 Reduced)

Maybe if they came up with a more compliant rendering engine than firefox, and had user definded style sheet (to block ads).

Oh yeah and fixed the bug where new windows aren't maximised. Little things like that really ****ed me off.

585536352[/snapback]

You mean like the attached screenshot?

As for me, probably not. Unless IE adds: tabbed browsing (like Opera), mouse gestures (that were customizable like Opera), full keyboard shortcut control (O again), Rewind/FF, efficient memory caching, FTW/ERA, Paste & Go, Reload every, author/user mode, 3 image modes, true full screen, exif info in image properties dialog, ... I think you know where I'm going with this.

post-4489-1109425035.png

Without knowing what IE7 has to offer, I don't think it's possible for anyone to know whether they'll switch or not. I'm primarily using Firefox at the moment, but I'm not going to say I'll never start using IE again.

Let's wait and see what it serves up, then gather people's opinions.

I'm not going to switch back, but I am going to demand one thing from it: better W3C standards compliancy. My job as web developer has become increasingly hard in recent years. The shift to CSS and XHTML is great, and should make my job easier, but Internet Explorer can't support either very well. Because of this limitation, I have to include all these hacks and tricks into my code, some actually making it invalid code.

Microsoft has completely lost my trust when it comes to security. I like Office and all, but anything internet/security related, I go elsewhere. And I shan't ever be using IE again!

It has been, remains, and will continue to be the poorest protection against all manner of web nasties out there. Like someone said, a leaky condom patched up with sticky tape. :rofl:

You lot are so negative, Microsoft employ some of the best programmers around so of course IE7 can EASILY be better than Firefox. You got to remember IE6 is 4 years old so you cannot really compare it to the latest browsers.

How were alternative browsers back in 2001 when IE6 was released, no where near as good obviously. So IE7 in my opinion will again raise the standards as far as browsers go, assuming they don't keep most of the features back for Longhorn.