• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac desktops

Malechai    116

Mac's look so cool. (coming from a WinXP person) Unfortunately I can't justify the price (to myself) of buying one... I use my PC too much for gaming.

Hey maybe if I fall into some money I'll join you guys. I know I'd like one if I could afford one :)

Toxikk    0
Originally posted by spartacus2k1

its a live shot - when someone connects. I have just been testing things on another system

Toxikk, or anyone, where can I pick up the Graphite theme?

go to system prefts > general > and select graphite from the first dropdown

Guest deadzombie   
Originally posted by sheer

hmmm, we've got 100+ Macs at work and NONE of them are running X. The IT manager has refused to buy any new Macs since X was released, only buying second hand ones as and when necessary. He even thinks that X is a second rate OS (tho he's never had any hand's on experience of it even though I offered to bring my home Mac in) and all of a sudden Win 2k is the bees knees. Admin ppl, accountants, telesales etc are getting nice new P4 1.6 Sony Viao or Dell boxes, a bit of a sickener when the fastest Mac is a 466 (mine). Apparently PCs are far more cost effective and the rest of the print industry is using them, which is news to me as us designers need to stay on Macs for total compatability with print bureaux. Now we also have quite a number of 8100 series towers running OS7 and OS8, ie machines being used for 8 or 9 hours a day that are 10 years old, I will be interested to see how many of these Sonys and Dells are working as fine as the day they were bought in 10 years time. Mind you, this is an IT manager that has been telling us for 2 years that InDesign is faster and easier to use than Quark, and that Satellite Broadband is the dogs bollocks, and that a 256K leased line is more cost effective than a 2mbit ADSL line...

Anyways, I digress here... OS9 is necessary because of the total lack of print (and I mean output through rips to film etc) and scanner drivers for X, and no Quark for X. And none of the print bureaux I deal with use X either. The blame for this doesn't lie soley at Apple's feet, ppl like Agfa, Umax, Epson etc could and should be doing more. Apple's pricing doesn't help tho, they're about 25% too dear...

What part of the country are you in? The whole reason I've HAD to work with Macs over the years is because everyone in the print industry in Texas uses Macs...so everything I do for a client has to be in a pc format for the client and then an .eps or similair format for the printer...luckily most people have discovered .pdf (thanks to OSX I guess), which makes the entire process alot easier for me...

Nice desktops everyone. Now, anyone have a second hand Mac they want to send a die hard PC user? ;)

Wickedkitten    11
Originally posted by deadzombie

What part of the country are you in? The whole reason I've HAD to work with Macs over the years is because everyone in the print industry in Texas uses Macs...so everything I do for a client has to be in a pc format for the client and then an .eps or similair format for the printer...luckily most people have discovered .pdf (thanks to OSX I guess), which makes the entire process alot easier for me...

Nice desktops everyone. Now, anyone have a second hand Mac they want to send a die hard PC user? ;)

lol i've got an old lcIII with system 7.1 and word 5 installed on it, knock yourself out :p

sheer    0

Deadzombie - I'm in the UK :)

I use screen res pdfs for proofs (to client) because of small file sizes over email and just about everyone has acrobat reader. Been like that for a year or so now. Quark's my main dog for everything (still using 3.3, lol) with artworking/pictures in Photoshop/Illustrator/Freehand.

Heh, that last post of mine was a bit of a rant after reading through it again, lol >:E

curniac    0

Toxikk: I can't believe I didn't know that....jesus.

Thanks.

gigatexel    3

Whoa, and here I thought I had an old mac.. a Performa 575 with 36 megs ram, 250 meg hd and System 8.1 hehe.

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

lol i've got an old lcIII with system 7.1 and word 5 installed on it, knock yourself out :p

Steve    2
Originally posted by Toxikk

are we the only ones with macs?

OK! ... I'm 50% There...

desktop.jpg

macclutter.jpg

:D

NeYo

Li_Lee    0

~~NeYo~~ is that first screenshot an actual Mac or is it a very well made windows theme?

Dazzla    5
Originally posted by cold

~~NeYo~~ is that first screenshot an actual Mac or is it a very well made windows theme?

That's a combination of all sorts of stuff going on. Objectbar, windowblinds, OS X icons, Object dock...

Neyo is easily the best at creating mac-alike desktops.

Steve    2
Originally posted by Dazzla

That's a combination of all sorts of stuff going on. Objectbar, windowblinds, OS X icons, Object dock...

LOL! Thanks Dazzla << Blushes! >>

Yup, Cold, its Windows, NOT By Choice MIND!! ;)

NeYo

Timan    554

NeYo your desktops make osx look bad! :p

j/j you just need to give it up! get your ibook back!

Steve    2
Originally posted by unsanity

NeYo your desktops make osx look bad! :p

j/j you just need to give it up! get your ibook back!

...hehe, u're reading my mind! :D ... i'll be back REAL SOON! :D

hehe!

NeYo

Tim Dorr    0

damn! nice one on the OS9 desktop! that's about as real as you get...

spyderman450    0

Ya, I'm impressed :)

Steve    2

who?! me?! :ermm:

NeYo

spyderman450    0

Yep :)

Timan    554
Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~

who?! me?! :ermm:

NeYo

Thats not os9 lol 8.1 nice and 68k :p

Steve    2
Originally posted by unsanity

Thats not os9 lol 8.1 nice and 64k :p

haha! Yes Tim's ALMOST Right! ... but its 68k Tim! :D (revenge! :p)

:D

NeYo

Li_Lee    0
Originally posted by Dazzla

Agreed. :D

Dazzla    5
OSX11.jpg

Silvorgold    0

wow, nice desktops :D lol

well i'm on a mac right now but i cant get images to work on my comp (viewing on net) so i cant really post an image right now :(

but i'm getting a mac at the end of summer n i cant wait :D

n hopefully it'll have jaguar

NYiBook500    0

hey dazzla, are you still making the chosen0S theme for os X? i know alot of people who really want a full version of it with icons. :)

Dazzla    5
Originally posted by NYiBook500

hey dazzla, are you still making the chosen0S theme for os X? i know alot of people who really want a full version of it with icons. :)

Yeah, I have a finished version of it. I've gotta speak to a few others first.

chosen.jpg

NYiBook500    0

that looks fantastic dazzla! are you going to make an icon set for it? i really like those milk icons from XP. i would like to see them get converted to Mac.

when do you think you will be able to release it? don't know?

once again, i love your theme here. :)