MS sues college student for selling legit software

Office 2003 EULA (Academic provisions of the EULA:)

Here's the link to the website where I'd found the EULA:

http://www.cwelug.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?EULA_For_Office_2003

585593762[/snapback]

in that case, he could be sued if they want after him for the right damn thing. They just seemingly picked the most pathetic sounding excuse of a lawsuit ever and went with it.

You don't pay for software, you pay for a license to use it.  And the license in your copy of XP says that you can't resell it.

585593742[/snapback]

No it doesn't. If you look, you can resell Microsoft software licenses as long as you remove the software from your own computer and give the customer the paper EULA and/or certificate of authenticity (depending on the product).

Edit: I didn't realize that clause doesn't apply to academic versions.

Edited by memodude

wat a freakin smart kid! he knew he could get a lot of money so he taught himself law. damn that's genius!

585593977[/snapback]

ya, a whole 40 bucks.

he was facing charges to pay for any damages caused and for microsofts FOUR LAWYERS. he damn well better teach himself law.

ya, a whole 40 bucks.

he was facing charges to pay for any damages caused and for microsofts FOUR LAWYERS. he damn well better teach himself law.

585593986[/snapback]

so the money got from selling the software on ebay doesn't count?

Microsoft is right. Say what you want he got a cheaper version meant for students or teachers and not for the avg. user.

Cody

Microsoft can always fix this by not giving discounts to anyone.

585593721[/snapback]

That's an awesome idea... I will admit to using pirated version of Office and one XP CD for all my computers, but when I found out I could get everything I wanted for $20, I actually paid for it. So would it really be such a great idea for Microsoft to stop giving discounts to students? Probably not. Please think before you speak.

That's an awesome idea...  I will admit to using pirated version of Office and one XP CD for all my computers, but when I found out I could get everything I wanted for $20, I actually paid for it.  So would it really be such a great idea for Microsoft to stop giving discounts to students?  Probably not.  Please think before you speak.

585594028[/snapback]

still remember how much tuition you paid to be a student..lol

That's an awesome idea...  I will admit to using pirated version of Office and one XP CD for all my computers, but when I found out I could get everything I wanted for $20, I actually paid for it.  So would it really be such a great idea for Microsoft to stop giving discounts to students?  Probably not.  Please think before you speak.

585594028[/snapback]

Wow that's really inexpensive! Are you in CS or something related? My university is providing MS Student Select Office 2003 Professional for $101.00 CDN ($86.00 CDN for Standard) :/

still remember how much tuition you paid to be a student..lol

585594044[/snapback]

Yeah well if MS had this pricing for all, maybe more ppl would upgrade their systems. If MS ever did the math, they would make more by charging less because im confident that more people would buy their software instead of holding off or pirating. I have to agree, all software companies are greedy. That still doesn't fix the fact that the dude still sold an academic license of the software. It doesnt matter if the EULA is on the package or not since that debate was already won by Microsoft in a lawsuit a few years back. Even the bookstore was wrong in this case because it is pretty freakin obvious if someone opened software from Microsoft with all the hard plastic packaging that takes a utility knife to get open. They should have just returned the software for the guy and none of this would have ever happened. Heck, maybe the student should sue them too!

You don't pay for software, you pay for a license to use it.? And the license in your copy of XP says that you can't resell it.

585593742[/snapback]

Which is exactly why people pirate windows. MS charges a rather large sum of money for it then has the nerve to claim people cannot install it on more then one machine or sell it.

A big **** you to MS and yourself for being a damned blind fanboy.

Which is exactly why people pirate windows.  MS charges a rather large sum of money for it then has the nerve to claim people cannot install it on more then one machine or sell it.

A big **** you to MS and yourself for being a damned blind fanboy.

585594687[/snapback]

you're funny, so when you go get a drivers license, it covers your whole family? i think not. maybe they should start selling family pack licenses, then you'll have everyone driving a car!

you're a blind hater.

you're funny, so when you go get a drivers license, it covers your whole family? i think not. maybe they should start selling family pack licenses, then you'll have everyone driving a car!

you're a blind hater.

585594858[/snapback]

Good analogy :laugh:

you're a blind hater.

585594858[/snapback]

yes, but you have to be intellignet to get a drivers license. you have to be an idiot to get a windows license :laugh:

windows isnt a driver license, its a car. they are basically saying "yes, it seats 8, but only one person can be in it at a time."

The kid is a fool, trying to turn things around when Microsoft cuts him a break. People like that are dick, I hope he does get convicted and charged, stupid ******.

yes, but you have to be intellignet to get a drivers license. you have to be an idiot to get a windows license :laugh:

windows isnt a driver license, its a car. they are basically saying "yes, it seats 8, but only one person can be in it at a time."

585595044[/snapback]

Yea this analogy is much better, and much more true. Another analogy for ya...

Its like you getting a drivers license, but only being allowed to drive one car with it.

585595044[/snapback]

No. You can install Windows on a single computer and let as many people use it as you want. Same as a car.

There really isn't a good analogy for this, because software licenses are very peculiar. But why bitch about MS doing it when that's how SW companies have always done it?

well i support him, that reminds me of a story of Microsoft sueing a teenager for making a website called "Mike r soft" or something like that, it was a personal website about him and they offered him $1 for it :\

585595044[/snapback]

so how do you get 8 people to use one copy of windows all at the same time? you cant have 8 people driving a car..only one person can drive it, but as long as it is your car, anyone else can drive it.

plus, getting a license is pretty easy, it's not that hard. just know left and right..and your about set.

well i support him, that reminds me of a story of Microsoft sueing a teenager for making a website called "Mike r soft" or something like that, it was a personal website about him and they offered him $1 for it :\

585596528[/snapback]

they have to, its part of the law or something, they have to defend their brand name, you try and register something similar to say apple.com and see what happens..

plus that stupid kid's website had nothing to do with software...it was making websites, so the soft at the end wasn't needed, he just liked the sound..

you're a blind hater.

585594858[/snapback]

NO but it does cover you to drive as many cars as you want and if you happen to have 3 cars you can drive them all with the one driving licence.

however if you have 3 computers your supposed to have a licence for each computer even if your the only one that ever uses them!

there are quite a few people these days with both a laptop and desktop pc and I know i sure as hell don't want to buy everything twice :crazy: I think all software should be affordable and include licences for at least 2 computers.

NO but it does cover you to drive as many cars as you want and if you happen to have 3 cars you can drive them all with the one driving licence.

however if you have 3 computers your supposed to have a licence for each computer even if your the only one that ever uses them!

there are quite a few people these days with both a laptop and desktop pc and I know i sure as hell don't want to buy everything twice  :crazy:  I think all software should be affordable and include licences for at least 2 computers.

585596677[/snapback]

haha fine if you want to think of it that way, does your insurance cover one car only, or all your cars..

ONE CAR. you have to buy seperate insurance for EACH car..so whats so different from that and software licenses? plus..insurance is so expensive =\