MS sues college student for selling legit software

If he was reselling retail software, I would have a problem with the lawsuit.  But he's selling academic software, which is usually substantially disounted.  I got Windows XP and Office 2003 for $35 through school.  Imagine if I was selling those to others for two or three hundred dollars! = "Illicit profit"

So a big **** YOU to all the Microsoft-hating losers here.

585593731[/snapback]

You got office AND xp for $35!!! thats like not even ?20!!! Office student teacher is ?100 here and xp is like ?30! thats 200 odd dollars

Why are things so expensive in the uk!?/i>

(ipod photo uk ?300, ipod photo us $300 (?170!))

(how microsoft can say its losing money when they made so much money in a year? all that when sony is 6trillion yen in dept lol)

RJ

Last time I checked eBay's Seller rules it was eBay themselves who have a strict rule against selling Academic editions of software whether you are or were a student and whether you are selling to a student or not. eBay does not allow any seller to sell academic software.

It is also my understanding that (whether sold on eBay or not) it would be the buyer's responsibility to ensure that they were a qualified User under the terms of the software license. My Student copy of Office 2000 stated that the User had to be a qualifying educational User or else use of the program is against the license, regardless of who bought it or who sold it.

Microsoft introduced this program to make their software more affordable for students... why do people have to try and abuse the system?

...C_Guy

you're funny, so when you go get a drivers license, it covers your whole family? i think not. maybe they should start selling family pack licenses, then you'll have everyone driving a car!

you're a blind hater.

585594858[/snapback]

Words can't describe how rediculous that analogy or you are.

No.  You can install Windows on a single computer and let as many people use it as you want.  Same as a car.

There really isn't a good analogy for this, because software licenses are very peculiar.  But why bitch about MS doing it when that's how SW companies have always done it?

585596498[/snapback]

Key phrase: one person can use it AT A TIME.

it is physically possible for 8 to sit in a car at a time. it is physically possible to install windows on 8 computers at a time.

however, they are limiting it and not allowing us to use their product to its full potential.

Key phrase: one person can use it AT A TIME.

it is physically possible for  8 to sit in a car at a time. it is physically possible to install windows on 8 computers at a time.

however, they are limiting it and not allowing us to use their product to its full potential.

585598617[/snapback]

obvioulsy you've never heard of SUVs, Vans, or other large passenger vehicles ... nor have you heard of this thing called a network where more than one computer exists and can communicate with the rest ...

... :whistle:

obvioulsy you've never heard of SUVs, Vans, or other large passenger vehicles ... nor have you heard of this thing called a network where more than one computer exists and can communicate with the rest ...

...  :whistle:

585598638[/snapback]

???

did you even read my first post?

make a better analogy then smart boy. or else, don't talk.

585599144[/snapback]

:laugh:

Why are things so expensive in the uk!?

They are imported to your country, therefore more expensive ;)

make a better analogy then smart boy. or else, don't talk.

585599144[/snapback]

I don't need an analogy smartass, I already made my point. And just to humor you, a license is a form of identification for one person. It has absolutely nothing to do with software. A license states that you are capable to drive a motorized vehicle, nothing more. This is required because vehicles are basically weapons on wheels, just anybody isn't allowed to drive them or it could lead to deaths. A license also does not cost $300.

Software can be duplicated and installed an unlimited number of times at a cost of almost nothing yet MS puts a one computer limit on it and doesn't even allow you to sell it. You know why? Because it means more money for MS. Where do you think their billions came from? The sky?

By default a product's ownership transfers over to the person who bought the product at the specified price, that's how the capatalist system works. MS seems to think they still own the product, even though you payed them for it. Not only that but they implement rediculous activation bs just to make it that much more difficult for the purchasing customer, even though they know full well that it does nothing to deter pirates. It's called greed, look it up. While your at it why don't you look up mindless sheep as well.

I don't need an analogy smartass, I already made my point.  And just to humor you, a license is a form of identification for one person.  It has absolutely nothing to do with software.  A license states that you are capable to drive a motorized vehicle, nothing more.  This is required because vehicles are basically weapons on wheels, just anybody isn't allowed to drive them or it could lead to deaths.  A license also does not cost $300.

Software can be duplicated and installed an unlimited number of times at a cost of almost nothing yet MS puts a one computer limit on it and doesn't even allow you to sell it.  You know why?  Because it means more money for MS.  Where do you think their billions came from?  The sky?

By default a product's ownership transfers over to the person who bought the product at the specified price, that's how the capatalist system works.  MS seems to think they still own the product, even though you payed them for it.  Not only that but they implement rediculous activation bs just to make it that much more difficult for the purchasing customer, even though they know full well that it does nothing to deter pirates.  It's called greed, look it up.  While your at it why don't you look up mindless sheep as well.

585600713[/snapback]

ok smart boy, explain why i need to buy insurance for EACH car in my family. why don't i just duplicate my insurance too? that way it'll cover all the cars. but no, for my car alone, it is a 100 bucks a month. you don't call that greedy in part of the insurance companies? they could easily split 40 dollar insurance over 3 cars, but they don't. *hint hint*, they're greedy. aren't insurance companies rich too. and activation, ms isn't the only one who does it, so don't complain, cause a lot of other software companies do it too.

LOL. Each car must be insured seperately because if all those cars were to be totaled in a crash your insurance would only cover one of them. Yes insurance companies are greedy.

I may be confused but...

How is reselling software that is clearly licensed only for students and teachers legal?  It's not like he was verifying that the winners of his auction(s) were indeed students, correct...?

Microsoft purposely sells their software at extremely discounted rates for academic users and this guy was taking advantage of that.  At least, that's what it seems like to me.

585593670[/snapback]

Correct, I being a student recently (up to December of 2003) had the great luck to attend a school where I was able to get a legit license for very cheap. Part of the license agreement (I had to sign paper BTW) was I could not resell the software.. Which makes sense.

LOL.  Each car must be insured seperately because if all those cars were to be totaled in a crash your insurance would only cover one of them.  Yes insurance companies are greedy.

585603663[/snapback]

ok so hows that different from seperate copies of xp..nothing. so hush. license and insurance, no difference, so theres nothing more to say. your wrong =)

ok so hows that different from seperate copies of xp..nothing. so hush. license and insurance, no difference, so theres nothing more to say. your wrong =)

585604593[/snapback]

Your analogy makes absolutely no sense at all. Read some books kid, open your mind.

Your analogy makes absolutely no sense at all.  Read some books kid, open your mind.

585605584[/snapback]

What in the world would be wrong with my analogy. Whatever, no point in getting anything through your thick head. Of course there is not PERFECT analogy, but I haven't seen you come up with anything close.

I don't need an analogy smartass, I already made my point.  And just to humor you, a license is a form of identification for one person.  It has absolutely nothing to do with software.  A license states that you are capable to drive a motorized vehicle, nothing more.  This is required because vehicles are basically weapons on wheels, just anybody isn't allowed to drive them or it could lead to deaths.  A license also does not cost $300.

Software can be duplicated and installed an unlimited number of times at a cost of almost nothing yet MS puts a one computer limit on it and doesn't even allow you to sell it.  You know why?  Because it means more money for MS.  Where do you think their billions came from?  The sky?

By default a product's ownership transfers over to the person who bought the product at the specified price, that's how the capatalist system works.  MS seems to think they still own the product, even though you payed them for it.  Not only that but they implement rediculous activation bs just to make it that much more difficult for the purchasing customer, even though they know full well that it does nothing to deter pirates.  It's called greed, look it up.  While your at it why don't you look up mindless sheep as well.

585600713[/snapback]

You never actually own the software, you own the right to use it. Sorta like leasing a car instead of buying it.

You never actually own the software, you own the right to use it. Sorta like leasing a car instead of buying it.

585607110[/snapback]

That is correct, but it seems like the Microsoft haters don't want to accept that. So much for not reading the EULA.

I don't need an analogy smartass, I already made my point.? And just to humor you, a license is a form of identification for one person.? It has absolutely nothing to do with software.? A license states that you are capable to drive a motorized vehicle, nothing more.? This is required because vehicles are basically weapons on wheels, just anybody isn't allowed to drive them or it could lead to deaths.? A license also does not cost $300.

Software can be duplicated and installed an unlimited number of times at a cost of almost nothing yet MS puts a one computer limit on it and doesn't even allow you to sell it.? You know why?? Because it means more money for MS.? Where do you think their billions came from?? The sky?

By default a product's ownership transfers over to the person who bought the product at the specified price, that's how the capatalist system works.? MS seems to think they still own the product, even though you payed them for it.? Not only that but they implement rediculous activation bs just to make it that much more difficult for the purchasing customer, even though they know full well that it does nothing to deter pirates.? It's called greed, look it up.? While your at it why don't you look up mindless sheep as well.

585600713[/snapback]

Actually, when you purchase the software, you agree to their EULA, which states the software cannot be resold. Your statement about the cost of reproducing software being virtually nothing is true, except the minor detail about the work put into it. The people who write this software need to be paid. When you buy a copy of Windows off the shelf, you are purchasing it for one computer.

And just for the record, a non Academic version of Windows can be resold as long as the software is uninstalled from the original owner(Y) computer (Y).

true, but not all people read this...especially noobs...not calling anyone a noob or anything....always...READ THE FINE PRINT!!!!

Actually, when you purchase the software, you agree to their EULA, which states the software cannot be resold. Your statement about the cost of reproducing software being virtually nothing is true, except the minor detail about the work put into it. The people who write this software need to be paid. When you buy a copy of Windows off the shelf, you are purchasing it for one computer.

585609420[/snapback]

The people who write the software get more then their share. That's not the issue, the issue is with MS putting rediculous limits on something you bought for the ultimate intent and purpose of making more money. I guess the 50 somewhat billion they already have isn't enough. Then they thank the very people who keep them alive by sueing anyone who tries to sell their software. Yeah, that's great business ethic. :rolleyes:

And just for the record, a non Academic version of Windows can be resold as long as the software is uninstalled from the original owner's computer (Y).

Tell that to my dad, MS threatened to sue him when he posted a laptop on ebay that came with windows preloaded on it.