Why Adblock is bad for the "free" Internet.

When I'm on the Internet, I search for a specific thing. I didnt search for a page full of ads.

If the website cant afford its hosting because everyone blocks there ads, well they need to come up with a new buisness plan to make money..

Looking at or not looking at ads, what does it matter? Neither provides revenue. For this, you must actually make a purchase, or in some cases, at least click on the ad.

585666326[/snapback]

Mostly it's clicking on ads. If everyone blocked ads, none would be clicked on. Even if you claim to never click on ads, you may click one once if it interests you.

If someone doesn't click, fine. It you block, not fine.

when pop up ads have viruses in the index.html file, or a jpeg or whatever, you might as well block all pop ups.

sure, you will be blocking the "safe" pop ups...oh well. But to block those virus infected pop up ads, its necessary to block them all.

What they dont know cant hurt them :)

Probably can but i mean if they dont know if i seen the ad or not...

585640875[/snapback]

Uhm, if you aren't viewing the ad, then you can't click on it, and they can't get paid.

when pop up ads have viruses in the index.html file, or a jpeg or whatever, you might as well block all pop ups.

sure, you will be blocking the "safe" pop ups...oh well. But to block those virus infected pop up ads, its necessary to block them all.

I don't know about virus infected popups. Spyware infects through exploits and doesn't have anything to do with a popup window. Regardless no one is arguing for Popups or Spyware just basic banner ads.

A good popup blocker will only block advertising popups.

most ads i dont really mind but if it flashes it gets adblocked and if it is flash based it is also blocked (as flash ads are the worst offenders) google's ads are quite annoying as well as imo as you dont know what they will be advertising. i dont see how there can be any real revenue in them though as dont people atleast have to click the banner or buy something from the seller for the website to make some cash? the number of people doing that must be small.

Edited by Waylander

I block popups, too. Popups are just wrong. But banner ads should not be blocked unless they're especially annoying.

585668521[/snapback]

why distinguish between popups and banner ads?

surely both are a way for the webmasters to gain money.

You're evil, you're depriving the webmasters of ad revenue by blocking popups. shame on you.

Warning - post may contain traces of sarcasm

I respect the need for some ads. But pop up ads are a different animal. Just because I'm visiting your site doesn't give you the right to launch other windows on my computer. The site's rites end on the page, they don't extend onto my computer without my permission.

Ok, if I block ads, that means I don't want to see them. So even if I do see them, I just ignore them. So it really doesn't make a difference to advertisers, because I'm not going to click their ads anyways.

Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.7 Build 16218/1070 *BETA*

Adverts removed by Ad Muncher: 5,206

Approximate bandwidth saved: 40 MB

Counter started: March 14, 2005

I see ads everywhere--in front of the TV, in the car, on the radio, in school, in lab, on my desk. I pay $40 a month for my ISP, and I am the sole administrator of my own system, so I decide exactly what I see, when I see it, and how I see it just the way I like it without thinking twice.

Hotmail without ads is almost like GMail. I havent seen a popup or popunder or any kind of ads for a while now, i'm so satisfied.

Oh, and for the so called "free" internet, I have caused $5.20 of no profit :)

i dont see how there can be any real revenue in them though as dont people atleast have to click the banner or buy something from the seller for the website to make some cash? the number of people doing that must be small.

You obviously never ran a website nor used Google's Adsense.

why distinguish between popups and banner ads?

surely both are a way for the webmasters to gain money.

You're evil, you're depriving the webmasters of ad revenue by blocking popups. shame on you.

If you can not answer this question yourself then you shouldn't be posting in this thread. It is not about the webmaster being able to make money at any cost but being able to advertise fairly.

I second that!

You pay to access the internet through your ISP period, you pay for nothing else least of all the bandwidth and hosting costs of the websites you visit.

Ok, if I block ads, that means I don't want to see them. So even if I do see them, I just ignore them. So it really doesn't make a difference to advertisers, because I'm not going to click their ads anyways.

Everyone says this but it is completely not true, while you may not click on 99.999% of ads there is always that one that is related to something you are interested in that you may click on. It is the same thing for people who say they NEVER watch commercials, you may not watch all of them but their is always that one that you do.

Why Adblock is bad for the "free" Internet

"I can understand and sympathize with the general distaste for pop-up advertisements. They are obstructive and annoying. But I do not sympathize with the distaste of standard banner advertisements that pay for all the free content we currently enjoy."

So True.

585640872[/snapback]

I prefer Google's text ads... if it's important to us we'll recognize it... I hate those popups and ads that trick noob into thinking it's a message form their PC

If you can not answer this question yourself then you shouldn't be posting in this thread. It is not about the webmaster being able to make money at any cost but being able to advertise fairly.

1) learn to detect sarcasm

2) This thread has been about money from the start.

I second that!  :D

585670539[/snapback]

I third that, and I love google adds, they don't bother me at all. It's nice to be able to browse the web without every website being littered with flashing ads.

i notice its adblock killing the 'free' internet. theres no mention of other 3rd party software for *any* other browsers. besides ie has most of the market, so if adblock is the only danger to the free internet, then clearly there isnt actually any danger. :s the article is laughable at best imo. all the articles on that site that are browser based are cleary aimed at trying making ie look good and firefox bad.

i notice its adblock killing the 'free' internet. theres no mention of other 3rd party software for *any* other browsers. besides ie has most of the market, so if adblock is the only danger to the free internet, then clearly there isnt actually any danger.
The author answers this:

"While Adblock is nothing new in terms of ad blocking software, it is significant in that it's current hype and price (free) is making it widely recommended and used as an extension to the Firefox Web Browser. This is a dangerous trend."

i hate advertising.

if someone is 'adblocking' an ad, its because they don't give a **** about the ad.

therefore, there is no net difference from before to after they blocked the ad :

they weren't going to spend a penny before, they aren't going to spend a penny after.

if this is affecting advertising revenue, advertising must be over-valued.