Wow, MS copies apple again

@divertom15

I can't recall saying anything about Longhorn's looks, but okay

@username();

Apple has been working on Spotlight technology for about 5 years. They didn't start developing it for Tiger when Microsoft introduced WinFS in 2003 with the first Longhorn alpha builds.

585655067[/snapback]

Search for Cairo and OFS- Object File System, Microsoft had been coding this the early 90's

Everyone copies everyone else. End of story.

585654255[/snapback]

Thank you. You could say the apple windows are like the ones on Windows XP. Both have open close minimize.

:spell:

585655115[/snapback]

This one works better :p

trek.gif

585655159[/snapback]

I love how you guys can't think of anything original to say, so you just put needless emoticons. :) You guys rock.

look like someone has said, everyone has copied eveyrone at one point in time, apple copied xerox, ms copied apple, linux copied ms, i mean it goes on and on and on. look if it looks the same, then that means apple got it right and before ms could get it right. i mean if in the end there is only one ultimate simple solution, then in the end, all OS's will look very similar in design. Its just a matter of time and all this says is that apple got it right and since imitation is one of the highest forms of flatery and respect, then this is a complement to apples design. now if ms claims its original thats wrong but i doubt they will. Remember this is new for windows people so not eveyrone has had the privilage of using stuff like this...

what amuses me most is that the transparency screen shot show that notepad appeared to have hung heh, must be something else they copied from apple :p . the sync manager just looks like a prettier active sync. Are we truly expected to believe that anything from now on in pc's is obviously copied from apple. Nice screenshots though, I'm actually impressed with how Longhorn is looking, and the *nix inspired admin pass request is much needed. clearly being in the mac forum this wil just incite a load of mac fanboys to over use the $ in Microsoft and flame them to hade$

well, I don't care if they copied this stuff from Apple OS X, if u know guys but Apple can't talk about Microsoft because Microsoft is the biggest investor in Apple, so shut up Steve Jobs

585654332[/snapback]

Apple is well worth over 4 billion dollars.

Microsoft, in the late 90s, owned about a $150 million in non-voting shares of Apple stock. Since then, they have sold those shares.

I'm actually impressed with how Longhorn is looking, and the *nix inspired admin pass request is much needed.

585655219[/snapback]

The funny thing is... Windows XP (and 2000, and I think NT4) already has this. It just doesn't show up when it should... as in, it shows up only in specific cases - not any time administrator credentials are needed.

it would be alot better if you post Mac screenshots. alot of us don't use Mac's and have no idea what iSync looks like. as for the screen shots, a few are new, and look very nice :)

i have seen the last pic, but i think longhorn toolbar is WAY too big. i haven't tried it all that much, but well have to wait and see :)

Why in the hell would there be different minimize and maximize widget types on these two windows?

well spotted, I hadn't actually noticed that, perhaps its another new feature, albeit a useless one

Guys, guys, cool out! Yes, Microsoft copies, Apple copies, everybody copies. That's the way it works and nobody but fanboys really minds. What's more important than who has an idea first is who implements it first and who does it right. Microsoft was first with Fast User Switching in Windows XP, Apple was first with hundreds of technologies in OS X that Microsoft is yet to deliver in Longhorn. I couldn't care less who was first with the blueprint for the Spotlight technology. All I care is that in a month or two I'll be using it in Apple's Tiger.

As for the screenshots, boy are they ugly!

First of all Apple Spotlight is a rip off from Longhorn Desktop Search. Since Gates demo the early alpha build of Longhorn in 2002 and reveal the desktop sidebar feature and integrated search feature on every windows (Longhorn Desktop Search), Apple came up with OSX Tiger demo with a desktop search called "Spotlight". And the trend goes with Google releasing its own standalone desktop search. Microsoft then port its Longhorn Desktop Search to be part of MSN Toolbar Suite for to compete with rival Google and others. But the MSN Desktop Search is nowhere near like the real Longhorn Desktop Search.

Remember Konfabulator widgets? Remember Apple so called "Dashboard"?

Remember integrated web search in Apple "Sherlock"? Remember "Watson"?

And remember.. the term "glassy look" or "glassy UI" is not registered under mac osx. So please stop comparing any glassy theme/UI/looks to apple. Now give me one big improvement from Panther to Tiger.... tell me whats the big different besides having "Dashboard", "Spotlight" and a new UI. Mac fanboy... bring it on. LOL

lh0ee.th.jpg

lh15mu.th.jpg

lh25yl.th.jpg

Edited by noneneed

Why in the hell would there be different minimize and maximize widget types on these two windows?

lh_proto_gallery2_reliability01.jpg

585655239[/snapback]

I have doubts that this is a real screenshot...

When I first saw it I didn't notice the different min/max buttons, but I did notice that the application in the background is "Paintbrush."

Since Windows 95, the program has been "Paint." Kind of odd, actually...

Also, the application in the background has the focus... despite the "Text Writer" being on top of it. That's also kind of odd.

You know, sometimes it's hard to say who copied who, i mean MS is such a large corporation just look at the amount that's put towards research, it's astonishing, so who says MS didn't think about all this technology they have already?

You gotta understand that, Mac OS doesn't dominate much of the market, think about how many large orgs running MS based products, even if MS thought of these lovely features, it would take yrs before they consider implementing it, there's just so much to configure, compatibility, explaining to clients about things they have to do to have a smooth process of migration.

Someone correct me, but every major release of MacOS, seems to be tied closely to the hardware they make, i mean, every OS MS makes, they have so much to consider for, they can't just say, cool we'll implement something new and not think about the outcomes, i'm not implying Mac does that, no way, it's just that, Mac pretty much appears to design software in parallel with their hardware, it's like they have their say, but MS, has to continuously communicate with thousands of hardware vendors.

looking good, i want longhorn but i don't want to be a pirate so i'll just wait

does seem like apple :blush:

how r pc's with not so good specs going to run longhorn if it looks like it requries so much resources, is it going to be a new generation of os to run on low resources or will they require ppl to buy better pc's or encourage everyone to switch and buy like a new 64-bit so everyone will have a high spec pc running longhorn

as far as i know, a lotta ppl have pentium3 pc's and im wondering if they are going to be able to run longhorn on that.

how r pc's with not so good specs going to run longhorn if it looks like it requries so much resources, is it going to be a new generation of os to run on low resources or will they require ppl to buy better pc's or encourage everyone to switch and buy like a new 64-bit so everyone will have a high spec pc running longhorn

as far as i know, a lotta ppl have pentium3 pc's and im wondering if they are going to be able to run longhorn on that.

585655327[/snapback]

Longhorn is for newer PCs. Gates said that he expects Windows XP to be around for quite a while yet.

That said, Longhorn's most basic operating mode should work on pretty much any other system that can run Windows 2000/XP - however, it remains to be seen why you would do so.

585655327[/snapback]

Didn't they say LH would have 3 UI flavors to choose from (Classic, WinXP-ish, and OMG-this-pwns-anything-else-because-of-the-awesome-glass effect-we're-putting-in-LH-as-well-as-other-3D-awesomeness)?

I can't wait till LH comes out for that awesome glass effect. :wub:

These screenshots look pretty good :) Not just from a esthetic perspective, but from a usability point of view too.

And who cares about Apple... I'm sure they've used a bunch of ideas from other operating systems themselves. And I couldn't say this is anything near what e.g. KDE copies for Linux; they even have color themes called Redmond. But I'm not whining about KDE just because of that; as operating systems evolve, I think they're more and more merging into each other and all of them is trying part to borrow the good parts and part invent new better parts.

If Mac OS X does something new in a very good way, it would just be stupid of Microsoft to intentionally trying to do something in a worse way. Nowadays basically all desktops have e.g. a Trash can metaphor for deleting files, and quick shortcuts to navigate through applications. Simply because these are ideas that work and work really well too. Apple should be flattered that Microsoft acknowledges good ideas this way. :)

Also, why the heck is this in the Mac OS Client section and not Windows Longhorn??

New security warnings for longhorn look very similar to the ones found in OS X.

Thats becuase....linux did it first.

Please stop being apple fanboys. Apple copied plenty of stuff.

585655135[/snapback]

Apple was shipping UNIX systems (complete with /bin/su) beforanybodyb> was using Linux.
Search for Cairo and OFS- Object File System, Microsoft had been coding this the early 90's

585655199[/snapback]

Microsoft, with her billions of dollars and hundreds of Phd's will take the better part of 2 decades to get their file-system-meta-data-amazing-search-application, but Apple, a company with a fraction of Microsoft's resources has been selling their (functional, but incomplete) version of the same idea since June, but only started working on it after being motivated by Microsofts demos?

Either these are not the same products, Apple has been working on their code a lot longer than they let on, or Microsoft programers type really slow.

Thats becuase....linux did it first.

Please stop being apple fanboys. Apple copied plenty of stuff.

585655135[/snapback]

Apple was shipping UNIX systems (complete with /bin/su) before anybody was using Linux.

Microsoft, with her billions of dollars and hundreds of Phd's will take the better part of 2 decades to get their file-system-meta-data-amazing-search-application, but Apple, a company with a fraction of Microsoft's resources has been selling their (functional, but incomplete) version of the same idea since June, but only started working on it after being motivated by Microsofts demos?

Either these are not the same products, Apple has been working on their code a lot longer than they let on, or Microsoft programers type really slow.

585655374[/snapback]

There is way more to WinFS than just searching.

wow. one being ms already had a sync manager, second the not responding application has always been win windows nt ms has just improved on it by making so the application will respond to you not windows, and whats the big deal about spotlight theres many other applications available now that all do the same thing who cares seriously? oh wait apple tho with ter widgets are totally rad and oh wait there spotlight really makes me want to jump out of my chair seriously this topic isn't worth it, all ms is doing is improving there os.