Wow, MS copies apple again

M$ does own part of apple (stocks) but who cares

585656738[/snapback]

I dont think so anymore, but if so, I doubt its a controlling share, and even if that is were the case, that doesn't make them immune to copyright law, something they would break by doing what little MSloving neocon over there said.

585656738[/snapback]

No they do not. They did at one time buy a huge ammount of stock in Apple to help Apple out but they sold them stocks a long time ago.

hahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sweet effort microsoft, release screenshots where their app is not responding.. well thats something they didnt copy macs with

585656746[/snapback]

yes, apple lies about it and tells their customers their OS will never crash.

yes, apple lies about it and tells their customers their OS will never crash.

585656796[/snapback]

Give us a direct example, or I'll have to write file your post in the FUD dept. with your entire posting history on any topic relating to Apple.

hahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sweet effort microsoft, release screenshots where their app is not responding.. well thats something they didnt copy macs with

585656746[/snapback]

dude either you've never used a Mac or you've really wrong impression of how your Mac works. Finder & Activity monitor will show "hung" for any application that stop responding. Its a UI feedback to user.

"hahahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha"

I was on a very "powerful" powerbook at the apple store in st. louis and i was just checking my email on it and then it froze on me. and i called the guy over and told him what was up and he just went, yeah... that happens alot.

but other than that, windows is all i have used :p

585656738[/snapback]

It seems that a lot of people care because it gets mentioned in every thread such as this. Microsoft owned preferred shares, not common stock. They had and still do not have any ownership in Apple Computer. Microsoft never owned all or any part of Apple in any economic or practical sense. The notion of that is just idiotic.

what build is Paul Thurrot using for those screenshots?

585657302[/snapback]

if you look at Paul's site...in rather obvious letters each and every one of those pictures says proto ...it's not a build... it's just some mock ups.

Some people get oh so excited when they "prove" that someone copied someone else... How sadly pathetic... But funny too. :D

OMG!11!! My laptop has a touchpad and speakers, along with a hinged lid! Apple musta copieddd111heheheheharharharharhar11!!11hyuck

:rolleyes:

Apple was shipping UNIX systems (complete with /bin/su) before anybody was using Linux.
Huh?

In April of 1991 there were NO lines of Linux source code written: ergo nobody was using it.

Apple shipped A/UX on the Mac IIfx in February 1988 complete with the multiple users, protected memory, preemptive multitasking, and requiring a user to be in the wheel group to switch to root before messing about in the system folders.

Pushing the technology envelope isn't just something you announce on a podium.

That hasn't stopped Microsoft from promising us a database based file system and then not delivering every couple of years since the first time Bush was in office.

That is NOT what WinFS is.? You seem to be suffering from a huge misconception here.?WinFS has nothing to do with file searchingb>.? WinFS has nothing to do with storing files.? The point of WinFS is to be able to store data as objects, instead of files.

What would be the point of storing files and their meta-data in some sort of indexed data store if not to make it easier to search for and sort files?

Maybe you should write Microsoft and let them know that their document titled Revolutionary File Storage System Lets Users Search and Manage Files Based on Content has nothing to do with reality.

Tiger is just another desktop search application that indexes the disk drive.? Windows has had this capability built-in since Windows 2000 (and optional on NT4).?

Speaking of misconceptions.

Spotlight is an API, the little search icon is just a program that uses it, just like keychain services are an API and keychain access is the most visibl tool using that API. The documentation for spotlight is included with the early starter kit so if you want to see it you'll have to you'll have to make friends with an ADC Select member or become one yourself.

In fact, I bet the Windows solutions are more efficient, as they tend to rely on NTFS file system events to notify the indexer if a file is changed/added/removed/moved. I don't believe HFS+ is as capable in that area.

Wow, it's good to know that technological superiority is judged by witch one you think would win in a fight: even when you've never seen a fully functional implementation of either contender. But hey, you "believe" HFS+ is no good so it must be true!

For the record, you're wrong. OS X has had services for an application to notify the system to notify applications of changes to the file system since 10.3 shipped (kqueue) and spotlight has the APIs that access the filesystem automatically notifying the spotlight indexing service about changes to files and/or their meta-data whenever a file is written, created, accessed or deleted. It's not too dissimilar to BFS where it's file system performance has always been renowned, hardly surprising considering Dominic Giampaolo's is working at Apple now.

I don't see why you're so obsessed with making it seem that Apple uses only "oriignal" ideas.? That's never been what Apple was about.

Don't put words in my mouth.

585657571[/snapback]

Spotlight is comparable to what Longhorn will ship with...system wide search, virtual folders etc etc.

in fact all the Documents/Movies/Music folders were shown as virtual folders in first longhorn alpha at 2003 PDC.

Now WinFS...nobody knows for sure but one thing is clear...it uses SQL Server to maintain information about file system objects. And it is supposed to work across computers. Workgroups, enterprise domains, AD if you're familiar with these concepts.

Spotlight goes no where near that vision. and exactly thats why it is so difficult to implement. When apple fanboys say that "apple did it in 1.5 years what MS couldnot do in 10" (ironically when it comes to who copied whom...then they say Apple has been working on this since 2000) its total BS.

Its no use fighting over such stupid topics. :no:

Both companies are innovative enough to shape our computing futures...just that Apple is very small and hence agile and doesnot have to worry about a lot of factors that MS have to. Then again MS has made a lot of mistakes but they've innovated such gems as fast user switching! so it goes on :sleep:

WinFS is about unifiying all the different storage technologies in Microsoft's applications as currently they all use different storage methods such as the Jet database for Exchange.

The main reason is not just for file searching its for unifying their database storage so all programs eventually use a common database.

Justy search Cairo and OFS.

Spotlight is just a file searching program.

WinFS is about unifiying all the different storage technologies in Microsoft's applications as currently they all use different storage methods such as the Jet database for Exchange.

The main reason is not just for file searching its for unifying their database storage so all programs eventually use a common database.

Justy search Cairo and OFS.

Spotlight is just a file searching program.

585657666[/snapback]

No, it's not. Spotlight is very similar to that. It's just a unified index as opposed to a unified storage method. Spotlight is an expandable API developers can tap in to so that Developers may also add their program data to the Spotlight index. In theory, they're both very similar, except one allows the developer to keep their own storage system.

Huh?

In April of 1991 there were NO lines of Linux source code written: ergo nobody was using it.

Apple shipped A/UX on the Mac IIfx in February 1988 complete with the multiple users, protected memory, preemptive multitasking, and requiring a user to be in the wheel group to switch to root before messing about in the system folders.

I don't see the point of mentioning A/UX since it never saw any popular use. For comparison, Microsoft released Xenix, their version of Unix, in 1980. So are we to simply claim that Apple copied Microsoft and went down the same route by introducing a Unix-based OS?

Yea they do seem to be copying OSX.

The new theme looks awful though, those long buttons (close,minimise,expand) are stupid. I suppose they wanted to move away from square but didn't want to totally copy OSX with round buttons.

Longhorn will be a exciting product, by the way, Apple need to shut up because the main investor in Apple is Microsoft

585658342[/snapback]

A. Apple have said nothing there is not some Apple representative in this thread

B. Microsoft are not in anyway an investor in Apple past there software products aimed at the Mac Market.

Don't post fud.

Yea they do seem to be copying OSX.

The new theme looks awful though, those long buttons (close,minimise,expand) are stupid. I suppose they wanted to move away from square but didn't want to totally copy OSX with round buttons.

585658313[/snapback]

If you were a 50 year old with a bad eye, I'm sure a little red dot with no descriptive icon is going to be better than pressing a long and wide button with a bit more description.

Oh God, Ssshh. Similar, but stop all this "MS COPY ALL APPLE" Crap. Please.

585654238[/snapback]

They might not even be copying, it might just be the most efficient way of displaying the information wether Apple did it first or not.

585654256[/snapback]

Apple fanboys are annoying though "OMGGGG TEH MICRO$OFT COPEID APLPE!!!!!!!!1111111111onetwobucklemyshoe"

*mutters something about Xerox and says no more*

585654269[/snapback]

I agree with all of you.