The 2005 Baseball Thread

i`d like to see the tribe win the central this year,but only if thier pitching comes around. thier young and hungry! in the end it`ll be the yankees winning it all again :no:

OK no ranting this time because I'm in too good a mood (see sig). But the reason why that Mets' game was SO devastating was because everything went unbelievably well until that 9th inning. Reyes went 3-5 with 2 2Bs, Beltran 3-5 1 HR 3 RBIs, Floyd 3-5 1 HR 2 RBIs. And of course Pedro's line was great 6 IPs, 3 Hs, 3 Rs, 2 BBs, 1 HR, 12 Ks. He made one bad pitch all game. At one point he struck out 10 out of 11 batters. It just SUCKED to lose a game like that.

Did anyone read that article, on ESPN.com I think, about the Dodger's making fun of the Angels?

They're selling T-shirts that say "Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles" and during one of their ST games they put an old Angels logo on the on deck circle.

hahaha, thats pretty funny. the whole thing is pretty stupid.

i don't know why anaheim feels it is necessary to take fans from LA county.

they change the name just so people in LA feel related to them, plus all the billboards and adverisement i see (and i'm in LA, not anaheim) is actually for the angels.

Didn't expect Smoltz to get rocked like that.

1.2 IP

6 H

7 R

6 ER

2 BB

1 SO

I HR

Not a good line. Good news for me though. Of course it IS one game. But after yesterday I needed something to cheer me up about baseball and that hit the spot :laugh:

AL East: New York Yankees (easily)

AL Central: Detroit Tigers (with Percival and Mags, they will be the best of the worst)

AL West: Los Angeles Angels (Colon and GA will rebound and they will win it all)

AL Wild Card: Boston Red Sox (They had their year and now it's back to 2nd best)

AL Champs: Los Angeles Angels (see above)

AL MVP: Vladimir Guerrero (The best pure player out there and all w/o steroids)

AL Cy Young: Randy Johnson (He might get 30 wins this year if he stays healthy)

NL East: Florida Marlins (Beckett's and Burnett's health is key, but they look awesome)

NL Central: Saint Louis Cardinals (My favorite NL team is just too good not to get there)

NL West: San Diego Padres (Whether or not Barry is back, SD will win the west)

NL Wild Card: Chicago Cubs (If the arms are healthy, they could challenge St. Louis)

NL Champs: Saint Louis Cardinals (see above)

NL MVP: Albert Pujols (Best offensive player I've ever seen)

NL Cy Young: Ben Sheets (Best pitcher in the NL last year, should do it again, and get recognized this time)

WS Champs: Los Angeles Angels over the Saint Louis Cardinals in six (2 seas of red)

OK so the Mets are off to an 0-4 start (worst since 1964) and I'm officially entering angered/panic mode. *&@^!$#!^#&*%#^ Just had to get that off my chest :D . Only other undefeated team is Pittsburgh. Last place in the NL East. I should be used to it by now.

OK so the Mets are off to an 0-4 start (worst since 1964) and I'm officially entering angered/panic mode. *&@^!$#!^#&*%#^ Just had to get that off my chest  :D . Only other undefeated team is Pittsburgh. Last place in the NL East. I should be used to it by now.

585747903[/snapback]

They're the mets. Not like we expect anything from them. On the other hand, the freaking yanks just got killed by the damn orioles!

O I'll help you there. Mo Vaughn, Bobby Bonilla, Roberto Alomar, Jeremy Burnitz,. . . . not to mention trading Nolan Ryan. Trust me I know they've been retarded when it comes to roster moves.

My picks for final standings:

National League

Central

• ChiCubs
  • St.Louis
  • Milwalkee
  • Cinn.
  • Houston
  • Pittsburg

West

• SF
  • Arizona
  • LA.D
  • SD
  • Col

East

• Florida
  • Phiadelphia *wildcard
  • Braves
  • NY Mets
  • Washington

American League

Central

• ChiWhiteSox
  • Detroit
  • Minn
  • Cleveland
  • KC

West

• LA.A
  • Seattle
  • Texas
  • Oakland A's

East

• NYY
  • Boston *wildcard
  • Baltimore
  • TampaBay
  • Toronto

Mets win!!! Mets win!!! Mets win!!! Sorry lol. Great pitcher's duel (thought the final score might not suggest it). Pedro: 9 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 9 k, 0 HR. And it only took him 101 pitches :jump:(72 of which were strikes). Smoltz: 7.1 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 15 K, 1 HR. Tough to lose after pitching like that. If he were on any team other than the Braves I'd feel bad for him. :p

that smoltz/pedro matchup yesterday was great.. for 7 innings.. made me sick watching it end like that.. oh well. i'm very excited about this atlanta team.. lots of enthusiasm all around.. and it even looks like chipper gives a damn for once :o

sox are about to get their WS rings in an hour or so.. ill be in class though :/ , really wanted to watch that

Anyone see the Yanks-Red Sox team introductions today? When Rivera was announced the Sox fans gave him a standing O. He took the sarcastic cheer EXTREMELY well with a huge grin and even tipped his hat to the crowd. I found it amusing. Good for him for rolling with the punches. He's the one Yankee player I find it hard to root against. O, and at the Mets' game a rotating billboard jammed with Pedro on it. Game got delayed until they fixed it. He got a good laugh out of it. Hope he stays that happy all year. :unsure:

I can fairly safely predict that the BlueJays will do better that last season.  Mind you, that's not saying much...

585701202[/snapback]

So far, my prediction is doing rather well.

As of this moment, their .750 win percentage is the highest in both leagues.

Yea, like it'll last (or even 1st place in the AL East for that matter).

Still, I'm enjoying it while it does last.

Regarding the steroid suspensions so far. I think it shows a couple things. First, the testing is working to some degree. Second, not every major league slugger is taking this stuff. It's the fringe guys like Sanchez, the Rockies player, Benito Santiago, Jeremy Giambi, etc that think they can use it to stick around longer or play a little better to get the money. Also, I was reading that a number of scouts were amazed at the number of pitchers who had surprisingly lost velocity on their pitches. As much as the hitters could benefit, the pitchers would benefit a bit more I'd think. The pitchers only pitch, the hitter still has to make contact.

Pitching isn't about muscle mass nearly as much as creaming the ball is. Now granted, I agree you still have to swing the bat but pitching has less benefits to steroid use. Bulking up doesn't help pitch speed much. Randy Johnson isn't a steroid user and he's 41 and lanky and he still throws hard. Its more about arm speed. Now, I'm sure there are pitchers who do take them but I don't think they get benefited more than hitters.