The 2005 Baseball Thread

I just got tix to tonights yankee game, sweet. Gotta love keeping contact with ex coworkers lol

585838365[/snapback]

awesome, i'm watching right now. in crappy SD though, even though it's on ESPNHD, we are being blacked out in LA. forced to watch it on fox sports west.

May the panic and despair begin for the Cubbies fans. :laugh:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=250430118

HOUSTON (AP) -- Kerry Wood just can't shake the pain in his shoulder.

The Chicago Cubs ace left another start early and Jeff Bagwell had three hits to help the Houston Astros end their longest losing streak in nearly three years with a 7-5 victory Saturday night.

"I felt great the first two innings. The second inning was the best I've thrown the ball this year, but in the third it just kind of crept up on me," Wood said.

He departed after only three innings because of tendinitis in his right shoulder, the same problem that cut short his previous start last Sunday. He will be examined by a doctor Monday in Chicago.

"It was the first time that I felt uncomfortable all night. I will know more Monday, but in my mind it is just tendinitis," Wood said. "It's hard to say whether or not I should shut it down for a couple of weeks."

Wood, also slowed by shoulder trouble during spring training, was pulled for a pinch-hitter after giving up three runs and four hits. He struck out six and walked two.

"He didn't complain at all. He had warmed up great, but he just didn't look right even though he had good velocity," Chicago manager Dusty Baker said. "We thought that it was best to take him out when we did."

Brandon Backe (2-1) pitched seven innings for the win and Brad Ausmus hit a two-run single for the Astros. Houston snapped a six-game losing streak, its longest since May 19-25, 2002.

"Brandon used a different way of pitching tonight," Houston manager Phil Garner said. "He threw a nice, soft sinker."

Backe gave up four runs and six hits, including pinch-hitter Jason Dubois' two-run homer. He struck out eight and walked two.

"I'm still learning how to pitch. Tonight I took something off of the sinker. I just laid it out there and tried to get ahead," Backe said. "After I gave up the home run I had to regroup."

Cliff Bartosh (0-1) was the loser. He allowed one run and two hits in two innings of relief.

Willy Taveras gave Houston a 4-3 lead in the fourth inning when he doubled in Ausmus.

Houston increased its lead to 7-3 in the seventh when Bagwell walked and moved to third on a double by Mike Lamb. After an intentional walk to Jose Vizcaino, Bagwell scored on Jason Lane's groundout. Ausmus drove in Lamb and Vizcaino with a bases-loaded single.

The Cubs cut the deficit to 7-5 in the eighth on an RBI single by Derrek Lee and a sacrifice fly by Jeromy Burnitz.

In the second inning, Taveras easily threw out Burnitz at the plate when he attempted to score from second on a single by Michael Barrett.

"I just charged the ball hard and tried to be quick to save a run," Taveras said. "I've never done that in two straight games before."

It was the second consecutive game in which Taveras has thrown out a runner at the plate.

"I thought that play at the plate by Willy changed the complexion of the game. You don't see that happen two games in a row, and especially here with that big center field," Garner said.

Houston took a 3-0 lead in the first. Taveras led off with a walk and scored on a single by Bagwell. Lamb had an RBI triple, and Vizcaino drove in Lamb with a single.

Chicago tied it at 3 in the fourth on Barrett's RBI single and Dubois' homer.

i wish the baseball gods would let us have just 1 healthy season...

nomar, now kerry... :(

585857976[/snapback]

Tell me about it... This is so depressing.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/r...20050502_NYY@TB

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2052024

Anyone else think the Yanks have a serious sense of panic? I realize they're 9.5 back of Baltimore but I really don't think that the O's will sustain that pace. The team that they have to keep up with, the Sox, are only 5.5 ahead of them. Hitting the panic button? We'll see how it all turns out I guess. Have to admit though, I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Edited by bigbluepride35

Scrubbies at Brewers tonight! If the Brew Crew take the series, they will be in 2nd place.

GO BREWERS!!!!

Jose Reyes WALKED! Jose Reyes WALKED! That's the only thing I could get excited about from tonight's game. O and Floyd's 19-game hitting streak. I don't know if it's Questec returning the strike zone to its proper width (the system is at Shea) or if he's just done but Glavine has been AWFUL. We need Benson and Trachsel to get back into the rotation soon. The starters were supposed to be the strength of the Mets' pitching staff since the bullpen is a bunch of no-namers who are unproven (aside from Looper who's been shaky anyway and Roberto Hernandez who has been a pleasant surprise, so far).

Hey... how in the world did Kevin Brown pitch a scoreless games today?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=nyy

I never thought I'd see that :laugh: Hope Brown keeps that up :yes:

585893373[/snapback]

Like I PM'ed you, it's because the A's suck. He got into serious trouble in the first and was lucky enough to get out of it. His problems aren't over.

Hey... how in the world did Kevin Brown pitch a scoreless games today?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=nyy

I never thought I'd see that :laugh: Hope Brown keeps that up :yes:

585893373[/snapback]

maybe if they keep him away from walls and other solid objects. heh heh

edit: yeah he managed to pitch himself out of a bases loaded jam too. as keitel said in pulp fiction... "Let's not all start sucking each others....... yet."

Like I PM'ed you, it's because the A's suck. He got into serious trouble in the first and was lucky enough to get out of it. His problems aren't over.

585893409[/snapback]

Who cares?! Tino hit a 3 run shot!!! 4th of the month!!! HES SO AWESOME

Two wins in a row and the Yankee fans come out of the woodwork? Lol.

/edit

And yeah like it's been mentioned nothing to get too excited about. The Yanks pitching staff ran into the worst offensive team in the entire league. 30th (dead last) in runs scored, 28th in BA, 30th in Slugging, 30th in OPS (On-base + Slug). Good for them but I don't necessarily think anything's been solved yet.

Edited by bigbluepride35

Talk about a deadly move. If Giambi wouldve stayed in Oakland he wouldnt have brought so much attention to himself and he could have kept wining MVP awards with the help of steroids. MMM....Syringe.

Dan Kolb sucks. I didnt like the move when he was acquired, and he's pitched even worse than i expected. another blown save last night, to San Diego this time. and whats even better, is that at least once a week on the braves website, theres some article about him saying something along the lines of "its great to finally feel confident in my pitches" or " yesterday is behind me, i'm ready to move on".. yeah well thats great and all, but damn, how about keeping your mouth shut until you can record more than 2 or 3 saves in a row.

however, with the padres winning, they take over first in the NL West. I went back to an old thread to check my predictions and this was my NL West:

West

San Diego

Los Angeles

Arizona

San Francisco

Colorado

this was a few replies later.. not so laughable now.

LOL your predictions for the NL West (and overall) are pretty laughable.

When it comes to sports analyzing, don't quit your day job!

Derek Lee is the only thing keeping our Cubbies in any type of contention early on in 2005 campaign.

Where did BARMES come from???

man, we're barely hanging in there....need to get healthy....9th inning comebacks are great and all, but i'd like to win a little more convincingly every now and then.

Aside from people in Chicago and New York, who get to see their cross-town teams fight it out, anyone else really looking forward to any interleague series this weekend? I'd include LA Dodgers vs. LA Angels of Anaheim. . . o wait that's right the Angels aren't IN LA.