Win Xp Sp2 Deadline

MS are going to force you to download whether you have turned everything off or not are they not?

585735784[/snapback]

:blink: :blink: :blink:

i noe they said u will be forced to

but mine system is still patched with sp1 and my dsl connection is on 24/7

oh forget about the disablin in services.msc part.. :whistle:

I know there are security updates, but I hated what happened with SP2 (Installshield, had to format+SP1). If I lose something, I lose it.

I know there are security updates, but I hated what happened with SP2 (Installshield, had to format+SP1).  If I lose something, I lose it.

585737772[/snapback]

do a clean install. solves 99.999% of problems

According to the news link You will be forced.

maybe even you disabled the windows update. it will automatically update.

One way to stop is Don't go online. Disconnect your computer from Internet ( Remove the TCP IP :( )

BTW which date Microsoft using the computer date or Microsoft server time for this deadline (12 April? )

Wow, you guys are all panicking for no good reason. Here's what will happen:

On April 12th, when your computer checks for updates via Automatic Updates, it will automatically start downloading SP2 without giving you a choice. The download will proceed as normal with AU, using only idle bandwidth when it's available. This could mean that the download may actually not finish for another few days, but it will always be downloading.

IF YOU WANT TO BLOCK SP2 FROM INSTALLING (which I don't know why you would) just disable Automatic Updates in My Computer properties. There's no secret downloader in Windows that will get SP2 even with AU disabled, you don't have to disable BITS or remove internet access completely. All these are suggestions by paranoid users who don't know what they're talking about. Also note that Windows Update won't allow you to get any new updates until you install SP2.

Don't think though, that you can continue to get updates without SP2 installed. ALL new updates for XP from April 12th forward will require SP2 to be installed before the update can be installed, no exceptions. This means you won't be able to download the updates on TechNet and use them without SP2 like half of you are planning to.

Even with all of this, there's not one good reason not to install SP2. I was in the beta test for the entire beta period; it doesn't cause many problems with third-party software, and the software it does cause problems with have updates for it. Every computer that can run XP can run SP2. There should be no problems installing SP2 assuming your installation of Windows is in good condition. Before you install SP2, run a virus scan and remove spyware/adware. If you don't think you can do this, get someone else to do it for you.

Threads merged

april something or other, I ain't got a choice for sp2 or not, I got XP w/sp2 OEM, the key will not work on standard or sp1 discs

585729252[/snapback]

not correct.

an OEM COA will work with only an OEM disk sp2 or pre sp2, it will not work with a corp or retail or upgrade cd.

:yes:

i use the same cd for every XP pro inbstal with the associated coa in work. (60 XP pro clients running sp2)

What are the chances of SP2 f*cking up my system if I apply the patch as per previous service packs (via windows)?

I've got XP Pro currently on SP1 with all other patchesand have a P4 Prescott processor with Asus motherboard. I've got AU disabled (always is when I install Windows).

I do not wish to wipe the whole lot just to apply SP2 - it's a big pain in the ar$e that I can do without. Plus, I don't wish to spend ages re installing all my apps and changing everything back to how I like it. :angry:

whats the effect on an xp user? I'll tell you what the effect on an XP user is

PARANOIA!

that's about it...

585740385[/snapback]

Very true. SP2 messes up your system alot less then people think. In my case, it was 0%. Nothing happened. The only thing I had to do was turn of XP's firewall because I had a better one. That's it. No app reinstalling, no changing tons of settings, maybe just a few program updates to make it all play nice. Quit being so paranoid and install it already.

do a clean install. solves 99.999% of problems

585737776[/snapback]

That's exactly what I did, and that's what ****ed me off. SP1 and chugging along fine :D

I don't think you can apply certain patches, even install some programs that require SP2 without it installed.

whats the effect on an xp user? I'll tell you what the effect on an XP user is:

PARANOIA!

that's about it...

Once you've installed it, then you can talk bad about it. :rolleyes: