The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

I feel you mate - I share the same problem, with Dashboard and stuff - often they create apps and such, too centric to USA. I sometimes wonder what percentage of Americans actually realize there's a world beyond American shores...  :whistle:  :rolleyes:

585856892[/snapback]

Yeah... too much cool stuff we can't use "beyond the sea" ... :whistle:

Take the yellow pages one for example... that one would be really cool....

Is there any kind of Wodget composer in the xcode? 'Cos i believe we could simply change the url of where those widgets searches....

I sometimes wonder what percentage of Americans actually realize there's a world beyond American shores...  :whistle:  :rolleyes:

585856892[/snapback]

Probably more than the entire population of the UK :p

Yeah... too much cool stuff we can't use "beyond the sea" ...?:whistle::

Take the yellow pages one for example... that one would be really cool....

Is there any kind of Wodget composer in the xcode? 'Cos i believe we could simply change the url of where those widgets searches....

585856937[/snapback]

Widgets are just bundles (folders) with JavaScript files, HTML files, images, and plists. You can essentially just ctrl-click (right click) on them and select Show Package Contents. You can then go from there just using TextEdit.

Probably more than the entire population of the UK  :p

585856950[/snapback]

Probably so, but still doesn't seem enough. :no: It really gets me, when Americans don't even know where say 'Belgium' is, or something like that. *shakes head* I dunno, maybe it's just the way I interpret it, but i notice this kinda of 'ignorance' more with Americans, than any other nationality. - Probably due to the size of 'your' country, no doubt...

I feel you mate - I share the same problem, with Dashboard and stuff - often they create apps and such, too centric to USA. I sometimes wonder what percentage of Americans actually realize there's a world beyond American shores...?:whistle::?:rolleyes:s:

585856892[/snapback]

Well not many would be my guess. There are still American tourists in Amsterdam who are amazed by the fact that we don't wear wooden shoes anymore and have the same technology at our disposal as they do;);)

And no this isn't a joke!

Well not many would be my guess. There are still American tourists in Amsterdam who are amazed by the fact that we don't wear wooden shoes anymore and have the same technology at our disposal as they do. ;)

585857000[/snapback]

LOL - Wooden shoes, were/aren't they called Clogs? :lol: I kinda remember those! :laugh:

I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

Well not many would be my guess. There are still American tourists in Amsterdam who are amazed by the fact that we don't wear wooden shoes anymore and have the same technology at our disposal as they do. ;)

585857000[/snapback]

(WARNING OT)

I can voucher for that, I met a few people like that while I was in Amsterdam on my anniversary last year with my wife.

Whoo, being in another country really made me realize just how screwed up the US really is...

Whoo, being in another country really made me realize just how screwed up the US really is...

585857086[/snapback]

haha what in Amsterdam/Holland made you realize that? Just wondering. :)

haha what in Amsterdam/Holland made you realize that? Just wondering. :)

585857138[/snapback]

I was wondering that, too! What the hell is Kansas like if you think Amsterdam is that much better? I don't have folks offering me heroin on the street here in Phoenix(not that I think people shouldn't be able to do what they want). I thought Amsterdam was ok, but I really liked the other towns I went to, like Haarlem and Utrecht.

OT: I really miss my powerbook. :cry: <stares at Tiger box>

I was wondering that, too! What the hell is Kansas like if you think Amsterdam is that much better? I don't have folks offering me heroin on the street here in Phoenix(not that I think people shouldn't be able to do what they want). I thought Amsterdam was ok, but I really liked the other towns I went to, like Haarlem and Utrecht.

585857193[/snapback]

I've lived here in Amsterdam for over 18 years and no one has ever offered me herion or any other type of harddrugs on the streets or when going out, so that really makes me wonder to what places you went.

I'm sure I'll get offers like that in Phoenix too if I would look for it.

Edited by PureLogic

I've lived here in Amsterdam for over 18 years and no one has ever offered me herion or any other type of harddrugs on the streets or when going out, so that really makes me wonder to what places you went.

I'm sure I'll get offers like that in Phoenix too if I would look for it.

585857216[/snapback]

Coming right of the train from Hoek van Holland in the square. This was 15 years ago, so I don't know if much has changed since you were 3.

Yeah, if you looked for it in Phoenix, you *might* find it. Meth is the big drug of choice here with weed running a close 2nd.

Why are you taking it so personally? I was only trying to imagine what could be so bad in Kansas. There isn't a red light district, where I got robbed not to far from, there are no brown cafes, and (at the time I was there) there probably aren't people offering hard drugs in the middle of the main city square. Kansas is in the midst of the Biblebelt.

Coming right of the train from Hoek van Holland in the square. This was 15 years ago, so I don't know if much has changed since you were 3.

Yeah, if you looked for it in Phoenix, you *might* find it. Meth is the big drug of choice here with weed running a close 2nd.

585857252[/snapback]

You mean Dam Square? LOL I seriously doubt that you would find drugs there, even if you looked for it.

But stuff also changed in 15 years, more police on the streets etc.

You mean Dam Square? LOL I seriously doubt that you would find drugs there, even if you looked for it.

But stuff also changed in 15 years, but not really around that place.

585857260[/snapback]

I can only tell you what I directly experienced. I can't account for the rest. I really like the Netherlands, btw. I thought is was quite beautiful and the people were really friendly and cool. I had a few friends in Utrecht that I would hang around with when I'd visit.

I can only tell you what I directly experienced. I can't account for the rest. I really like the Netherlands, btw. I thought is was quite beautiful and the people were really friendly and cool. I had a few friends in Utrecht that I would hang around with when I'd visit.

585857269[/snapback]

Yeah I'm not saying you didn't. But the whole image of Amsterdam as drugs capital is kinda over the top, I go to the center a lot and people never offered me stuff like that. But hey if people want it and start looking for it they'll find it, but that's the situation in almost every major city around the globe.

Also Amsterdam is around 4 times bigger than Utrecht is and like 10 times bigger than Haarlem. So that's also a big difference. :)

FOR EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T THINK THE 9200 DOESN'T SUPPORT CORE IMAGE, READ THIS

Core Image is 100% supported on the 9200, the RIPPLE effect in Dashboard has been disabled for performance issues. It can be hacked back in, don't ask me how. Please share the information for the people who keep whining "GRRRR CORE IMAGE ISNT SUPPORTED ON MY NEW IBOOK/MACMINI" etc. k THANX byee. :ninja:

What? Oh, Yeah this is the The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread you couldn't belive that after reading the last page... slightly OT?

FOR EVERYONE WHO DOESN'T THINK THE 9200 DOESN'T SUPPORT CORE IMAGE, READ THIS

Core Image is 100% supported on the 9200, the RIPPLE effect in Dashboard has been disabled for performance issues. It can be hacked back in, don't ask me how. Please share the information for the people who keep whining "GRRRR CORE IMAGE ISNT SUPPORTED ON MY NEW IBOOK/MACMINI" etc. k THANX byee.  :ninja:

585857424[/snapback]

this is old news...everyone know about this....

I don't know if this is a bug or just a feature; I added a custom folder under Wallpapers with some images and the list re-freshes every-time I open it. In Panther the images were always there.

I came across an awesome bug. The Dock is partially frozen.

Putting the cursor over the dock icons does nothing, no text shows up next to them. However, clicking them calls the program like it normally would. A hidden dock can only be recovered with CMD+OPT+D.

Basically its the dock without text next to the icons. The system looks much cleaner this way, hopefully someone will make a hack to hide that text under normal use.

I'm not restarting until I absolutely have to, this bug is awesome. :p

Edited by Huezo

I don't know if this is a bug or just a feature; I added a custom folder under Wallpapers with some images and the list re-freshes every-time I open it.  In Panther the images were always there.

585857501[/snapback]

They weren't on my Mac under Panther. :blink:

Probably so, but still doesn't seem enough.  :no: It really gets me, when Americans don't even know where say 'Belgium' is, or something like that. *shakes head* I dunno, maybe it's just the way I interpret it, but i notice this kinda of 'ignorance' more with Americans, than any other nationality. - Probably due to the size of 'your' country, no doubt...

585856979[/snapback]

And if I asked the average European where Maryland is, would they know? Both are about the same size. You have to keep in mind that most American states are of similar size to the average European country. The United States is the third most populous country in the world (after China and India) unless you count the European Union as a single country, in which case the US comes in fourth. I'm not saying that it is an excuse for ignorance of geography, but you saying you know where Belgium is means about as much as someone from Mississippi knowing where Florida is.

585857000[/snapback]

I work at a hotel and we get lots of European guests (mostly Germans and Brits). Many of them seem amazed that Mississippi isn't all farmland with slaves working in the fields. The ignorance goes both ways.

yes ignorance goes both ways.. but when you get people from america (it was on some ducumentary type shop here a while back) putting australia in europe its worrying. i say this simply because its the worlds biggest island and smallest continent (spelling?) geography should atleast teach you about the continents. but i think it is stupid for any1 to label and entire nation ignorant. there will always be the less educated and with the education systems the way they are now in western countries all of us are going to look ignorant compared to those comming from asian nations.

back on topic.. i would love to see some more of these widgets a little more international friendly. so that we non-americans can put them to better use. i would love to see better prices outside the US also.. but i guess we cant get everything we want.

Does anyone have problems running remote applications through X11?

585858303[/snapback]

To answer my own question, you need -Y (instead of previously -X) to forward x-windows display. I've no clue why Apple made the change.