The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

I've lived here in Amsterdam for over 18 years and no one has ever offered me herion or any other type of harddrugs on the streets or when going out, so that really makes me wonder to what places you went.

I'm sure I'll get offers like that in Phoenix too if I would look for it.

585857216[/snapback]

The key words are "if I would look for it." If you look for it in Amsterdam you will find it too. I didn't realize there were so many racists here at Neowin.

I didn't realize there were so many racists here at Neowin.

585872240[/snapback]

Who made any racist comments? I haven't seen any. Are you referring to my avatar? It has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with pride in my Southern heritage.

Who made any racist comments?  I haven't seen any.  Are you referring to my avatar?  It has nothing to do with racism and everything to do with pride in my Southern heritage.

585872352[/snapback]

Nah, not you. Just the people who are outside of the USA.

Most ATI video cards on the Mac will send video to your TV. You seem confused, you don't need a TV tuner card for that. Those are for watching TV on your computer.

585866811[/snapback]

It seems I am... And I know exactly what I need now. (Not a new video card, unless I want CoreImage)

:whistle:

I have this problem where I can't maximize a Quicktime clip if I minimize it into the dock...is anyone else having this problem?

585872725[/snapback]

I dont use quicktime much, but I just tried it and it worked fine when I restored a minimized video from the dock.

Tiger is fast. I am amazed at how well multitasking is handled now. I was able to watch a 720p h.264 trailer while encoding another movie into h.264 and the system was able to manage and prioritize tasks accordingly so that when I played the HD trailer it played fine without any noticeable dropped frames and the encoding process was given a low priority (from what I could tell). I could also call Dashboard without lag. I think this is pretty amazing, I can throw pretty much anything at my PowerBook now. Sure it sounded like a LearJet about to catch on fire and the CPU usage was at a constant 100%, but I was never bothered with lag or a beachball.

585869350[/snapback]

Did you manage to watch h.264 trailers on your Powerbook, with no lag? I have the latest revision PB with 1.5ghz processor and 512mb of RAM, and cannot watch those trailers without severe stuttering issues.

Did you manage to watch h.264 trailers on your Powerbook, with no lag?  I have the latest revision PB with 1.5ghz processor and 512mb of RAM, and cannot watch those trailers without severe stuttering issues.

585872777[/snapback]

I have a 15" 1.5Ghz PB with 512MB of RAM and I was able to watch the Batman Begins and Fantastic Four 720p trailers fine. QuickTime reported some dropped frames but I didn't notice them.

I have this problem where I can't maximize a Quicktime clip if I minimize it into the dock...is anyone else having this problem?

585872725[/snapback]

yes it happens to me as well, and its not playig movie while its in the dock :angry:

I think 10.4.1 will have huge correction list :devil:

Well I bought Tiger today, installing it now :)

Radish?

I just discovered holding Shift works for Dashboard too. It's pretty sweet when everything comes out (or go away) in slow motion.

Well, I might as well chime in here on my experience thus far, and it has been a very mixed one at best.

So far, I have installed Tiger on 4 Macs (multi license).

Install 1) Powerbook G4 867 mhz model. 1 GB Ram

Pros -I did a clean install on my pbg4. and everything was fine and dandy. I noticed right away an improvement in speed, and that was just in the start up time. Once I got to the desktop, I really saw the difference. Major speed boost all around.

Cons -Now my Powerbook is my "road" machine. I am a designer by living, and for the past 6 weeks and for who knows how much longer, I am a Freelance Consultant Multimedia Designer for this company. My Powerbook is the one and only Mac in the place (I am the one and only designer), and there is over 100 employees. I am forced to use Mail (long time Entourage user) as it is an Exhange server setup for mail.

All of the design work I am doing is flashed based, and when I was previewing my .swf files I had created, they were terribly, terribly slow. Running like I had 10 Flah Players open at once when I only had one. I mentioned Mail in the above paragraph, and for some reason Mail was causing the slowdown on my laptop. Once I closed Mail, my Flash Movies were playing at the correct speeds. I am not sure if it is because I am on an exchange server or not, but Mail does not like Flash, and it did up until I installed Tiger.

Install 2) 1st Gen G4, I forget the specs, I gave it to my Mother as her first computer, it is still technically mine.

I did the upgrade feature this time around. My mom only uses the computer to write email and buy stuff on e-bay.

Dashboard is super helpful to her to because my father is a limo driver for a company, and my mother is always checking Flight Times for him to Newark Airport as that is the majoirty of his rides. She noi longer needs to sit on the phone doing this, and she has used the Flight Tracker twice already since I installed the OS on Saturday for her.

Smooth Upgrade Install. Better Speed. Dashboard proves useful because of Flight Tracker Widget.

Install 3) 3rd Gen Dual G4, 1.25, 2 Gigs Of Ram, My own personal main work machine.

I did the upgrade feature this time around as well since it went smooth on my mothers comp.

I thought I would save myself sometime and choose the upgrade feature on my Main Work Dual G4. I have a ton to back up and frankly I was feeling lazy. Not sure just yet but it appears as if this may have been a mistake.

Install 3 Problem A- Safari has frozen the entire OS twice. When I say frozen I mean I have to hold down my Power Button 5 seconds to hard restart my comp. Both times I was just checking normal websites, nothing fancy. I went back to one of the pages that froze my comp and everything was fine the next go around. Nothing else was running in the background at all. Not to cool...

Install 3 Problem B- Because I was not feeling all that great about the install because of the Safari Issues above, and I should also add what seemed to be a slight slowdown in the OS, I decided to back up my files like I should have done in the 1st place for a Clean Install on to one of my External Firewire Drives.

So, here I was copying about 13 GB of back up files to one of the drives, so I just walked away from the comp and let it do its thing copying over the files.

When I got back, my flurry screensaver was going, but I noticed it was stuttering way more than it ever had. I then could not wake the machine up at all. Mouse did nothing, Keyboard did nothing, Key Commands to Force Quit did nothing, plugging in my iPod shuffle did nothing, everything you can do to wake up a computer did nothing. Once again the machine had frozen. Once again I had to force it to shut down.

Install 4) My GF's Mac Mini I got her. Souped Up Specs.

Once again, although I was not all that happy with the results to say the very least, because she just got it a little over 2 months ago and did not want to start from scratch, I did the upgrade feature this time around for my GF as well.

My gf is not all that happy. She swears the comp is slower now. I am not sure because I do not use it myself. I did watch her for a few minutes and opening Windows In The Finder did seem way slower than usual. I noticed she had Mail open, and suggested she try closing it, and when she did, things were back to normal speed wise??? I dont like Mail. Never really have.

I believe I found the culprit for the 2 comps having issues:

Both the Dual G4 and the Mac Mini use Extensis Suitcase to manage or Fonts, or should I say did.

I decided to check into if there were any compatibilty issues with the version of Suitcase we are using and Tiger. Although I did not find anything, my gut was telling me Suitcase was the cause of the OS performing slow issues, as neither of us use any other 3rd party apps that launch at StartUp. Sure enough, since yesterday, I have had Suitcase disabled. Since then, not an issue on my Dual G4 at all.

My gf disabled Suitcase last night on the MacMini, and afterwards everything seemed fine and dandy.

Extensis Suitcase does not work well on Tiger.

I actually did use it on my laptop as well, but I do like the new and improved FontBook this time around so I will be giving that another shot on the other 2 comps. Bye Bye Suitcase.

My conclusion:

So I did a clean install on one comp. Everything was great except an issue with Mail using an Exchange Server slowing down Flash Player???

I did an upgrade install on 3 other comps, and the 2 that had Extensis Suitcase ran into problems, and once Suitcase was disabled all seems fine. Also I am not sure why, but closing Mail on the Mac Mini also seemed to help with overall speed.

Although I know it was a dumb thing to do, I decided to do the upgrade install instead of a clean one. I recommend to anyone else reading this thread to just start from scratch whenever you can.

Phew, that was way to long. :p

585872725[/snapback]

I found out whats causing this behaviour, its the Divx if you delete divx component in the quicktime folder in library everything seems back to normal ;)

First impressions of Tiger -

It actually takes long to boot up unlike Panther as well as getting to the Desktop. Dashboard looks nice (eye candy), like the new interface sounds.

Some of the apps I use are currently not updated for Tiger (interface tools), still not liking the Aqua menu bar.

Might revert back to 10.3.9 until 10.4.1 comes out and the apps I use get updated.

Radish?

It actually takes long to boot up unlike Panther as well as getting to the Desktop.

585873543[/snapback]

Tiger shaved time off my boots here. How often do you really need to shut down your machine anyway? This isn't Windows we are talking about here, LOL!:p:p

First impressions of Tiger -

It actually takes long to boot up unlike Panther as well as getting to the Desktop.

Radish?

585873543[/snapback]

hmm mine boots much faster then with Panther.

Spotlight took about an hour and a half to index my drive. I use it sporadically but it has certainly helped me do some tasks more efficiently.

585869350[/snapback]

it took maybe 10 minutes on my ibook to index mine, and i upgraded also...weird

I just got it... AWESOME! Love Dashboard and I guess Spotlight (haven't really needed to use it). I love the new Safari and Mail (BOTH beautiful!). The new sounds are cool, just overall awesomeness.

If you do an upgrade you are asking for trouble, clean installs are best, archive installs are usually fine.

585874104[/snapback]

i have absolutely no problems with an upgrade.

one thing though. it seems like my ibook runs a lot hotter than it did before i installed tiger. i may just be noticing it more since i have been using it more lately. i dunno. anyone else notice anything?