The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

i have absolutely no problems with an upgrade.

one thing though. it seems like my ibook runs a lot hotter than it did before i installed tiger. i may just be noticing it more since i have been using it more lately. i dunno. anyone else notice anything?

585874140[/snapback]

I dont notice any difference on my iBook.

I work at a hotel and we get lots of European guests (mostly Germans and Brits).  Many of them seem amazed that Mississippi isn't all farmland with slaves working in the fields.  The ignorance goes both ways.

585858375[/snapback]

of all the nations in the world, canada is probably the least ignorant, i mean, americans ACTUALLY do think we live igloos and get our food from ice fishing, and that we say eh all the time, man i wanted to hurt that guy. A lot of canadians know more about america then americans do. I was teaching my 20 year old cousin about american history, it was ridiculous.

of all the nations in the world, canada is probably the least ignorant, i mean, americans ACTUALLY do think we live igloos and get our food from ice fishing, and that we say eh all the time, man i wanted to hurt that guy. A lot of canadians know more about america then americans do. I was teaching my 20 year old cousin about american history, it was ridiculous.

585876558[/snapback]

Eh?

Just kidding, if it makes you feel any better I know that you do not live in igloos and fish from ice lakes for your food - UK here we drink Tea and eat crumpets and play polo in the afternoons before we go buy Top hats and have supper with the queen.

Now stop dilly dallying and onwards toward Stratford-upon-Avon!

Eh?

Just kidding, if it makes you feel any better I know that you do not live in igloos and fish from ice lakes for your food - UK here we drink Tea and eat crumpets and play polo in the afternoons before we go buy Top hats and have supper with the queen.

Now stop dilly dallying and onwards toward Stratford-upon-Avon!

585876879[/snapback]

LMAO :laugh: !

of all the nations in the world, canada is probably the least ignorant

585876558[/snapback]

Gosh... yet Canadian people complain about how arrogant American people are..

I'm not Amercan, and I think you just sounded just equally arrogant in that post, if not more.

edit/ I forgot to add that I ordered a PowerBook 15" w/ SuperDrive yesterday, and I can't wait! >_<

Edited by ZZOOzzoo

im loving tiger, the only problem i have is that i cant close Mail. It starts up with out showing the mail window, but when i go into Window > message viewer it shows up. When i close it either in file or apple+q it highlights the word file and does nothing. The only way i can close it by force quitting it. sad sad

im loving tiger, the only problem i have is that i cant close Mail. It starts up with out showing the mail window, but when i go into Window > message viewer it shows up. When i close it either in file or apple+q it highlights the word file and does nothing. The only way i can close it by force quitting it. sad sad

585877139[/snapback]

I have the same problem :(

Just got tiger yesterday and installed it. I'm having some mixed feelings.

The OS upgrade added a HUGE performance boost. I mean, it feels like I have all new hardware here. Not that it isn't welcome, but for some reason that really bothers me. I don't think I have ever seen such a boost in performance with just software. It makes me think that Panther was, really, just full of performance bugs, and Tiger actually fixed those bugs.

I like the features of Tiger. I think out of everything Safari got the biggest performance boost. And that was REALLY welcome. Safari ran like crap before. The RSS features of Safari is probably the best part of this upgrade (for me so far). When I first read about them, I didn't think much of it... But now that I've seen it in action, all I have to say is WOW!

Is there a Dashboard widget that works with MSN Messenger?

Are there any cocoa based MSN Messenger clients out there? I love having spell checking, everywhere! Are there any clients that will show a person's picture or avatar like the windows MSN client does? I've tried Microsoft MSN Messenger, thought it was kinda crappy, and I've tried aMSN. aMSN was kinda underwhelming as well. Too bad iChat doesn't support MSN.

One last question: that one screensaver that uses the RSS feeds is really neet. Is there anyway to get a custom RSS feed like, neowin.net's RSS feed?

I can't get over how cool the RSS feed feature of Safari is. It actually makes slashdot.org readable :p !

-nic

Are there any cocoa based MSN Messenger clients out there?  I love having spell checking, everywhere!  Are there any clients that will show a person's picture or avatar like the windows MSN client does?  I've tried Microsoft MSN Messenger, thought it was kinda crappy, and I've tried aMSN.  aMSN was kinda underwhelming as well.  Too bad iChat doesn't support MSN.

585877382[/snapback]

i like proteus because of the way the convo windows look, and also, like msn, it tells you in a little square in the bottom of the screen when someone signs in and messages you, and unlike growl, you can click on it and it will pop up the event, only reason why i don't use adium is because i love that feature of msn (being a former windows user)

Does anyone have the problem that their HDD info (shows how much space is left) won't show up? I keep going to the right place but the option isn't there.

Thanks.

The multiple help menu Quicktime 7 bug is from the DivX Component

585882063[/snapback]

aah thanks! I tried fixing it by restoring the frameworks what resulted in a system wide shut down and kernel panics.

That really p*ssed me off. :p

The multiple help menu Quicktime 7 bug is from the DivX Component

585882063[/snapback]

Ah, interesting, thanks for that info.

o_O lot of work for 2 help menus lol

Does anyone else get that loud... like... stunning noise when they take a screenshot?

585882213[/snapback]

I get a little camera sound. It's not loud here. I think it is nice that they added some feedback for that. I also like the sound at the end of a file copy, especially when I'm copying a large number of files somewhere. It's nice to be able to tell when they are done without having the copying window visible.

o_O lot of work for 2 help menus lol

Does anyone else get that loud... like... stunning noise when they take a screenshot?

585882213[/snapback]

Well it did a lot more than showing 2x "Help" in the menubar. It made my dock crash when minimizing QuicktTime, it made QuickTime crash, after a while everything using QuickTime started crashing.

As for taking a screenshot, it sounds like a camera making a photo.

Play something in iTunes? It rarely happens but it does and when it does.... it stuns you for a minute. It sounds like a driver error, and it just outputs garbage. =\

Play something in iTunes? It rarely happens but it does and when it does.... it stuns you for a minute. It sounds like a driver error, and it just outputs garbage. =\

585882439[/snapback]

iTunes?

I think it has to do with 2 things using the sound at the same time. Its hard to explain. =\

585882609[/snapback]

No problems here when playing songs with iTunes and taking screenshots at the same time, just tried it.

Purelogic you seem to never have problems :p

Div I think its an iMac issue, same thing happened when the iMacs first came out, if there was 2 audio things playing at the same time there was distortion.

Purelogic you seem to never have problems :p

585883313[/snapback]

I had to format Tiger because of QuickTime 7, that seems like a huge problem to me... :p

But I have less problems after updating some apps with resources from the 10.4.1 updater package. The "selecting bug" in Preview 3.0.1 is finally gone, but Mail 2.0.1 still shows it main menu at login. Oh well, waiting for the final.