After a year of unemployment and a year of prison

when they asked me about things that I don't know or have very little background in, I was very upfront with them and I didn't try to bluff my way through.

585827857[/snapback]

Very important. Good job and good luck.

That is good that you have a friend there. So much about finding a job is networking. I'd say that landing a Job is 25% selling yourself, 25% skills, and 50% networking.

I really hope you land this Job. Did you say earlier that you have a mortgage? The housing market went through the roof since you went to prison, so, you and your family may be sitting on more money than you think. If your home went up in value, you can always refinance, to help ease the burden of mortgage. (i know unemployement doesn' t pay very much at all. I was on it for 3 months)

Just stay positive

The one thing that I dont get about your sentancing is that you didn't benefit from your crime. My uncle was a detective for 20 years, and he told me that the first step to solving a crime is to find out "who benefits". (Funny thing is I later read that in a batman comic). So, I don't see how you "benefited". I mean, sure, a crime was commited, but isn't the crime commited by the people downloading the software?

I am sure there is legal jargon that says something like "anyone coping any digital media.......blah blah blah" But, the punishment doesn't seem to fit. I mean, I can just see you having a conversation in prision:

a)What're you in for?

b) I released pirated software on the internet

a) Dude...you must've made a killing on that!

b)Actually, no. It actually cost me money to run the operation

a) So, um, if you didn't take any money, what crime was comitted

b) I copied and released the software

a) Ok, but, if you didn't profit, why are you here.

b) I guess it cuts into software companies profits

a) Oh, haha. So, dude, you are like Robin Hood!

Wow, this thread has gone way beyond what I expected it to. Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. I guess when you've lived through the things that I've talked about, they don't seem as remarkable, and it flatters me that you folks are interested in hearing about it.

585818371[/snapback]

Wow, i knew Razor1911 way back in the Quake's era, and it wasn't 'till today that i realized you were busted.

Well Shane, what i really admire is your strenght to go through, and the strenght to go on, for you and your family. Despite the past, don't ever be ashamed, now that you want to be in the good path now. You realized that you did wrong and now you want to get on with life. There is nothing to be ashamed.

BTW, this is the most interesting thread i've been since i registered in Neowin. Please update us about the status of your job when you got the chance.

By the way, didn't you just hated when you saw the DVD swapping scene and found it extremely IRONIC? And, out of curiosity, would you someday make something to fight the system at any degree after all the injustice you've been? Maybe the book is a great idea for that, too...

Blessings, and thanks for sharing your experiences and i really hope you have the best of success in your life and job.

I read the entire thread, very interesting. I do have one question though, If you were given the chance would you do it again? (meaning your life with razor).

I hope you can have a fresh start with a new job, good luck (Y)

I read the entire thread, very interesting.  I do have one question though, If you were given the chance would you do it again? (meaning your life with razor).

585828446[/snapback]

he said earlier that all the crap he went through wasnt worth it for some damn video game.

Well - this is the first time I've ever sat down and read a thread from start to finish - every post!

Shane, first off congratulations on getting the interview! From what I've read, myself and a LOT of other neowinians will be keeping their fingers crossed for you! Even if you don't get the job (and I pray that you do), at least it's given you the chance to brush up on interview technique.

I cannot believe the life you had to go through inside for releasing a few lousy video games. I could not even begin to imagine what both yourself, and your family had to go through. But remember this - you are here today, you have a family around you that have stuck by you. To have something like that is truly magical.

I personally, would love to hear more about your story... perhaps what the whole experience of going through court was like? Or how the FBI carried out their investigations after the raid.

There are a lot of people that would love to read a book or something on your story. If you're interested in perhaps writing a short eBook to share with the community, drop me a Private Message - I have some experience writing biographical stuff, and would love to help if you would like to do it.

Take care,

Paul.

Wow, i knew Razor1911 way back in the Quake's era, and it wasn't 'till today that i realized you were busted.

Well Shane, what i really admire is your strenght to go through, and the strenght to go on, for you and your family. Despite the past, don't ever be ashamed, now that you want to be in the good path now. You realized that you did wrong and now you want to get on with life. There is nothing to be ashamed.

BTW, this is the most interesting thread i've been since i registered in Neowin. Please update us about the status of your job when you got the chance.

By the way, didn't you just hated when you saw the DVD swapping scene and found it extremely IRONIC? And, out of curiosity, would you someday make something to fight the system at any degree after all the injustice you've been? Maybe the book is a great idea for that, too...

Blessings, and thanks for sharing your experiences and i really hope you have the best of success in your life and job.

585828426[/snapback]

I've seen so many things, inmates being told to make copies of textbooks by prison staff because they didn't want to spend the money to buy additional copies, so many other things that were clear violations of the very laws that I was charged and convicted of breaking. I've hardly scratched the surface in the little bit that I've mentioned on this thread.

I read the entire thread, very interesting.  I do have one question though, If you were given the chance would you do it again? (meaning your life with razor).

585828446[/snapback]

I gave up a year of life with my wife, my (now) 13 year old daughter and 7 year old son, my parents, and the rest of my family. Not only did it hurt me, but them as well. Would I do it again? No way, it just wasn't worth it. My life has been shattered, all for copying some stupid computer software that a year after it's release, nobody gives 2 shakes about.

Well - this is the first time I've ever sat down and read a thread from start to finish - every post!

Shane, first off congratulations on getting the interview! From what I've read, myself and a LOT of other neowinians will be keeping their fingers crossed for you! Even if you don't get the job (and I pray that you do), at least it's given you the chance to brush up on interview technique.

I cannot believe the life you had to go through inside for releasing a few lousy video games. I could not even begin to imagine what both yourself, and your family had to go through. But remember this - you are here today, you have a family around you that have stuck by you. To have something like that is truly magical.

I personally, would love to hear more about your story... perhaps what the whole experience of going through court was like? Or how the FBI carried out their investigations after the raid.

There are a lot of people that would love to read a book or something on your story. If you're interested in perhaps writing a short eBook to share with the community, drop me a Private Message - I have some experience writing biographical stuff, and would love to help if you would like to do it.

Take care,

Paul.

585828917[/snapback]

I've been giving the book ideas a lot of thought. I never thought that there would be this much interest in my story. I don't think I can do it yet, not until I get back on my feet. Once I do that, I think a book may very well be in order.

You have all my respect man, good luck for your 'new' life and everything and your financial situation. With the experience you have, you have a chance to get the job, a good one. Don't be ashamed of your past, we've all learned a lesson from this and it clears up a lot of things. I've never thought about jail this way...

Screw the government... sending you to max security prison, it's not like you murdered someone or raped anyone...

This is actually the 1st time I bother posting in a thread like this...

I have just read this from start to finish and have a few things I want to say:

1) The us "justice" system seems 100% absurd!

2) You sounds like an amazing guy with some amazing stories. I'd personally pay to read them.

3) Now you say the warez scene wasn't worth th hurt. What was your original motivation for being who you were?

4) Thank you. Thank you for giving me this insight into your life, and how the warez scene affects people. I often considered it a victimless crime, where only large companies get hurt. But o see how it affects one individual, their family, etc, makes me question my own usage of warez!

But o see how it affects one individual, their family, etc, makes me question my own usage of warez!

I thought about this today too... Download 1 game, ruin someone's life...

I've been giving the book ideas a lot of thought. I never thought that there would be this much interest in my story. I don't think I can do it yet, not until I get back on my feet. Once I do that, I think a book may very well be in order.

585829243[/snapback]

Take your time man, you certainly deserve it.

Hey Shane,

Definately wish you the best of luck mate. As others have said, from what you've been through, you definately deserve to get it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed (Y)

585829243[/snapback]

A book would be great, I would love to read about the pirating scene from somebody who was part of it.

Would love a book, somthing that is worth reading.

Im not saying that i'v used Razor 1911 but they agen im not saying I havent, but if I did I would say that they where far the better out of that Warez groups :yes:

I often considered it a victimless crime, where only large companies get hurt.  But o see how it affects one individual, their family, etc, makes me question my own usage of warez!

585831120[/snapback]

I agree completely. I'll be thinking of Shane the next time I open a torrent or connect to an fserv. Eye opening experience.

I think my feelings about this thread have been summed up by everyone already, so I won't go into the flattery. Great thread though, and its the very first one I've ever subscribed to on Neowin. It's that good.

My question for Shane is... What's holding you back from writing a book? I think that, with a good book deal, you could make a lot of money to help your situation. And for high-ticket authors like yourself, you could negotiate a very good book deal.

Clearly, there's a great demand for a book detailing your story. In a community with over 4.1 million posts, a lot of people agree that this is probably the most insightful thread on Neowin. You have 13 pages of people (myself included) hanging off your every word.

I'd really like to see you get a book out. Why not work on it in your spare time? If you don't have a job yet, you probably have quite a bit of time... And after you get this sysadmin job, it would take a couple months of sleepless nights for you to put out a successful book.

In any case, best of luck to you. Knowing what I know, I would never hold your prison past against you in an interview, but very few interviewers are that open minded. I'm afraid you will have a hard time with jobs... And its unfair, but all I can say is, its life. Best of luck to you, and all of Neowin's hearts go out to you.

PS: Make your blog compatible with firefox ;)

Edited by HellBender

I just realised you are, or were 'Pitbull'.

Your crew made my late teens and early twenties tolerable thanks to your fantastic work :)

All the best mate (Y). You and your kind should be remembered well :)

Edit: As Hellbender suggested, make your site Firefox compatible ;)

Edited by Cardinal

Shane everytime you speak awes me. You truely have my repect for being able to cope with what you've done and paid the price.

Just not long ago I was caught for pliagrism in college and had to face the professors. Althought it was a small offense considered I've only copied very tiny section of the material, it hit hard and I had to re-assess my ethics. But if I were in your shoes I don't know if I can handle it like you did, survive thru the harsh prisonment and so.

Anyway, I wish you the best on your job search!

I dunno why but I have this idea to nominate you to become one of the respectable Neowin mods, anyone agree?

There is a huge difference between being assigned a sentance less than two years and being assigned a longer sentance.  Minimum security prisons are nothing like what you see on Oz.

http://www.hbo.com/oz/?ntrack_para1=leftnav_category0_show12

Also guys, let's lay off the discussion of Razor 1911 or any of their related "products"...

585813805[/snapback]

I fail to see what an ex-Warez release group have to do with discussing what the poor guy had to go through in prison, etc. Its not like we are asking for Quake or WC or something. IMO this would be more discouraging to those who pirate, and make the mthink otherwise.

Never the less good luck on getting your life back on track.

mate, like most of the people here i am very interested in your story! i appreciate the fact that you are willing to share it with us as i have had traumtic experiences myself (not as bad as jail, but still) and i know how hard it can be to recapture those moments...best of luck to you and all the best for getting back on ur feet :)