After a year of unemployment and a year of prison

I agree completely. I'll be thinking of Shane the next time I open a torrent or connect to an fserv. Eye opening experience.

I think my feelings about this thread have been summed up by everyone already, so I won't go into the flattery. Great thread though, and its the very first one I've ever subscribed to on Neowin. It's that good.

My question for Shane is... What's holding you back from writing a book? I think that, with a good book deal, you could make a lot of money to help your situation. And for high-ticket authors like yourself, you could negotiate a very good book deal.

Clearly, there's a great demand for a book detailing your story. In a community with over 4.1 million posts, a lot of people agree that this is probably the most insightful thread on Neowin. You have 13 pages of people (myself included) hanging off your every word.

I'd really like to see you get a book out. Why not work on it in your spare time? If you don't have a job yet, you probably have quite a bit of time... And after you get this sysadmin job, it would take a couple months of sleepless nights for you to put out a successful book.

In any case, best of luck to you. Knowing what I know, I would never hold your prison past against you in an interview, but very few interviewers are that open minded. I'm afraid you will have a hard time with jobs... And its unfair, but all I can say is, its life. Best of luck to you, and all of Neowin's hearts go out to you.

PS: Make your blog compatible with firefox ;)

585836415[/snapback]

The biggest thing holding me back from doing a book is really not knowing how to get started. I'm fairly literate, but I've never had any journalistic training. I realize that I don't actually have to write the book by myself, but here again, I'm not experienced in dealing with publishers and the likes. How to approach them, who to talk to, what to expect, it's all very unfamiliar territory and I'm not sure which way to go. I have quite a bit of material written. I kept a journal while I was incarcerated, and my memories of the past are very clear, so it's not a lack of material.

As for my Blog, I don't know what's up with that. Wallop did another upgrade a few days ago and when they did it screwed up the public sites. It's not only borked in Firefox, but IE as well, and I'm assuming other browsers are having the same garbled up issues with it. I've left them a message concerning the issue.

Shane everytime you speak awes me. You truely have my repect for being able to cope with what you've done and paid the price.

Just not long ago I was caught for pliagrism in college and had to face the professors. Althought it was a small offense considered I've only copied very tiny section of the material, it hit hard and I had to re-assess my ethics. But if I were in your shoes I don't know if I can handle it like you did, survive thru the harsh prisonment and so.

Anyway, I wish you the best on your job search!

I dunno why but I have this idea to nominate you to become one of the respectable Neowin mods, anyone agree?

585836438[/snapback]

I've offered to be a mod here before, but it was for a new sub forum for Windows XP MCE that I was trying to get them to setup in Windows Support. Management didn't feel that there was enough need for such a forum at the time. I would love to be a mod and help out around here. I was a mod for IGN's VaultNet boards before I left, and I've ran IPB based forums of my own before. But, it's no biggie. If they want me, they know where to find me. ;)

The biggest thing holding me back from doing a book is really not knowing how to get started

a book? about what? A guy who was too cheap to purchase software and got busted for it? Yea, number one seller there. No offense but you were a petty thief and nothing more. You did the crime and paid the time. No need to write a book about it.

a book? about what? A guy who was too cheap to purchase software and got busted for it? Yea, number one seller there. No offense but you were a petty thief and nothing more. You did the crime and paid the time. No need to write a book about it.

585836742[/snapback]

HEY NOW! :angry: Lets no start flamming/attacking another member. I find those types of book VERY interesting!! :angry: So in future, keep your NASTY thoughts to yourself!

HEY NOW! :angry: Lets no start flamming/attacking another member. I find those types of book VERY interesting!! :angry:  So in future, keep your NASTY thoughts to yourself!

585836758[/snapback]

heh :D

HEY NOW! :angry: Lets no start flamming/attacking another member. I find those types of book VERY interesting!! :angry:  So in future, keep your NASTY thoughts to yourself!

585836758[/snapback]

I second that...

No offense but you were a petty thief and nothing more.

How VERY wrong you really are. The warez scene is part of what has sculpted our industry today (good or bad). I has had an effect, and ever computer user is living with it. From DRM, to serial numbers, the communities and the acceptance of "geeks".

And as a major player in that scene, the guy's history is worthy of a book which the consensus of us here seem to be positive about reading.

Now, I don't disagree with the fact that piracy is wrong, and that who he was back then was not someone I'd particularly give a rat's a$$ about. But the things he has learned, how he has turned around and the way in which he communicates leads me to believe he is a very interesting guy.

And even if you disagree with that: He did the crime, did the time, so slate is wiped clean!

585836742[/snapback]

Eh if you had any idea of the warez scene you'd know that Razor 911 was a key player in the distribution of illegal content. if there was a godfather to the underground trade, this guy was the man. he's not just another petty leecher.

and I would be very much interested in how Mr. Pitman got involved in the beginning, how Razor 911 formed, and basicly a history of the group until it's ending.

Besides its better than reading Marther Stewart's book :rofl:

This is an amazingly insightful thread, and i'm sure i feel the same as everyone else when i say thanks to Shane for providing such an intense account of his experiences.

I'm another one for the book.

wow your an e-god :p

I was into the scene back in the day.. so yeah i know all about that..

Didnt know you were on here tho, good to see your doing well..

Good luck with the interview ;)

I ran with the pack for awhile, just got accepted as a courier and about a month later P.C. got served warrants and I was gone. Didn't ever try to get involved again. What we did in the past at the time didn't seem that bad but now I try to stay legit. Shane got caught, got sent up, got out and now he owes no one so if he writes a book it might help him regroup and get on with life, also might help some of the little script-kiddies think twice about what they are doing. I admire anyone who has the fortitude (sp) to pay your dues, stand tall and get on with life. Good Luck and hope you get the job.

Cody

Eh if you had any idea of the warez scene you'd know that Razor 911 was a key player in the distribution of illegal content. if there was a godfather to the underground trade, this guy was the man. he's not just another petty leecher.

and I would be very much interested in how Mr. Pitman got involved in the beginning, how Razor 911 formed, and basicly a history of the group until it's ending.

Besides its better than reading Marther Stewart's book :rofl:

585836873[/snapback]

I can't vouch for the validity of any of the info on this page, but here is an account of the history of razor1911 from 1985 to 1998 as posted by one of the founders.

http://www.rajuabju.com/warezirc/razor_1911.htm

I've no Idea as to the history post 1998 to 2004. If shane would like to comment on any this, I for one would be most interested.

Now this is interesting

So we chose 1911 because it translates to $777

(in the hexadecimal numbersystem). 777 happens to be the opposite of 666

and so it was our small "grow-up-and-get-a-clue"-message to the immature

kids in the scene. It may also be mentioned that we seem to be immortal

and thus GOD-like (777). Later on we used the name "Project $777" in a

demo on Amiga to slag off everyone's that we just didn't like in the

scene but couldn't find a good excuse to yell at under the Razor-name.

This time more people realized what was going on, but most of them

thought it was quite funny so we got away with it (we always seem to).

Thats a brillaint read. I would recommend that link to ANYONE whos into 666,, ermmm i mean 1911, :rofl: No, really, a good read!

585836742[/snapback]

I'm sorry you feel that way. I suppose you think that nobody should ever talk or write about their experiences with illegal matters? Where would that leave society? I did wrong, got caught, got punished (I think excessively). I think that maybe by telling others what I've been through I could change their views and possibly keep them from having to go through what I've gone through. Yes, I broke the law. I had access to resources that would make most peoples jaws drop. But was it just wasn't worth the hell that I've endured. If telling my story keeps anyone else from having to go through that, then I would think it was worth it.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I suppose you think that nobody should ever talk or write about their experiences with illegal matters? Where would that leave society? I did wrong, got caught, got punished (I think excessively). I think that maybe by telling others what I've been through I could change their views and possibly keep them from having to go through what I've gone through. Yes, I broke the law. I had access to resources that would make most peoples jaws drop. But was it just wasn't worth the hell that I've endured. If telling my story keeps anyone else from having to go through that, then I would think it was worth it.

585837179[/snapback]

*round of applause*

If telling my story keeps anyone else from having to go through that, then I would think it was worth it.

585837179[/snapback]

Or even better, brings attention to some of the shortcomings in the legal system when dealing with white collar crimes. There definitely needs to be a better distinction between crimes that merely have a financial impact vs crimes that actually hurt or kill people, in terms of punishments/sentences. IMO only the most severe and malicious white collar crimes deserve punishments equivalent to lesser blue collar crimes..

Razor 1911: Crime & Punishment :yes:

Shane, I do hop you get the job. I do remember the name of your game network. But seriously, I will support your in the book if you need. I hope you can cut through the pain of the experience at some point in your life. It wont be easy. Good luck m8. And God Bless. ( I know that may turn some heads, but I believe in it).

Aaron

First of all, got to say I have a lot of respect for you Shane - A large number of people here used to look towards Razor for releases back in its time and I admit to being one of them. Then again, that was then and this is now - I can now afford more games than I could back then, and am thankfully legit. :)

Mark was a graduate of a well known culinary school who had gotten a state drug charge, served his time, been released and started a new life, only to have the feds come back and nab him for the same thing he'd already done state time on. Thus, he was serving time for the same crime twice.

Was this for exactly the same crime (i.e. same offence, same time) or the same type of crime (i.e. a reoffence at a different time)? Just wondering because I thought Double Jeopardy protected against the former? :o

As for the book deal, if it isn't that dramatic to recall and you can write the stuff in detail, I'd recommend finding someone to write it (or even doing it yourself) and get it down. Dunno about in the US but here in the UK we are swamped with god knows how many autobiographies of many B-list celebrities who think we give a crap about them. A book about the rise & fall of Razor1911 as well as your subsequent time in prison & time since you've left, if written & marketed right, could become a hell of a book :D The little "questionable things" in the book (such as the Associate Warden's swapping the DVDs with his secretary) could also land a few blows on those involved ;)

I'll be waiting for it :) In the meantime, congratulations on the interview , and hopefully you'll get the job :) After the experiences you mentioned,

BTW, this is the most interesting thread i've been since i registered in Neowin.

I agree. :)

EDIT: Just remembered something before I hit the post button. This is an excerpt of the story from the PS2 game Ace Combat: Squadron Leader/The Unsung War and thought it kinda fits with this thread :)

When history witnesses a great change, Razgriz reveals itself. 

First, as a dark demon.

As a demon, it uses its power to rain death upon the land

And then ? it dies. 

However, after a period of slumber, Razgriz returns

This time, as a great hero