DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll)

Which Linux Distro do you prefer?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

markjensen

New Poll started

-rezza

Here is a refresh of the poll from last year:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=152954

What distro do you use? (and, yes, we know that BSD is not Linux, but it is popular enough to add to the poll, making this more of an Open Source OS poll)

What distro do you recommend as a "first distro" for someone new to Linux?

If you are new to Linux, and have a question on which Linux distro to try, this thread is the place to pose your question. All general questions regarding "which Linux distro" for typical desktop use will be moved here for the community to answer. Technical quesions or problems are considered "off-topic" for this thread, and should be made into their own topic.

kyro

fedora or slackware or ubuntu. this is in order of preference. and i am running them all (dual-boot) on my laptop.

Lexcyn
Ubuntu Rules!

585205472[/snapback]

I agree... except for the fact that I can't get it to work. Well it works, but I mean, for some reason the LILO or GRUB won't detect that I have a Windows installation. :/

qbie

Got to be Ubuntu

All the goodness of Debian, with the ease of.. something easy.

TheDreamX

SUSE rules. I used it for awhile as my main OS until my parents tried using it :D. Only problem I had was an issue with Radeon drivers... damn you ATI!

I've used Mandrake for long periods of time before, too. It's also a very nice system.

carpetmankent

hmmmm can u guess?

stezo2k
SuSE is my facvourite

585205451[/snapback]

couldn't agree more, i prefer suse too

snap55

I've used fedora, ubuntu, slackware, gentoo, mandrake and yoper. As nice as they all are I just keep drifting back to fedora :)

snap55

mercuryx013

Slackware for me. I'm planning on trying Ubuntu when I get time.

xxdesmus
Debian, gotta love apt-get :yes:

585204347[/snapback]

i love apt-get ;)

eilegz

Knoppix its easy to use and also it recognize my modem something that not any distro can do but im kinda interested in sun java desktop (based on suse) or the new novell suse linux . I used mandrake but didnt know how to make my modem work

cpugeniusmv

i'm a man of many distributions.

my main workstation runs gentoo. i have a 486 laptop running debian woody. i have a pentium 233 running slackware. knoppix is my favorite bootdisk. and i love playing with freebsd, i just don't have a machine for it right now :woot:

SaguratuS

Hey Mark, out of curiosity, what's your flavor?

Elliott

Fedora, totally. I've tried other distros, but Fedora is just the easiest and best in my eyes. Load it up with Apt and Synaptic PM and you're set. :D

harleydog

Lately, I have been messing around with SUSE 9.2 Pro, and am impressed with it. So far, no serious issues...

Debian would come in a close second..

SaguratuS

Bleh, you guys need to check out gentoo :)

cpugeniusmv
Hey Mark, out of curiosity, what's your flavor?

585208664[/snapback]

mark's a redhat/fedora guy, if i'm not mistaken.

vincent

From what little bit ive experienced from LINUX so far ( just fedora core 3 :/ ) i look forward to ALL. i know as time goes by Open Source software is just gonna get better better. I feel ready to dedicate more time torwards LINUX, Just on a second rig this time :/