773 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro do you prefer?

• Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • SUSE Linux (or derivatives)
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Ubuntu
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Arch
    • Linspire
    • Mandriva

Doing a stage1 will take about a day, but when you're done, you get a feeling like you've just won a million dollars, everday, for the rest of your life. :p

A hand configured, hand compiled, hand built PC from scratch that has near perfect install and uninstall abilities, the security and stability of Linux, with the easy to use emerge command.

Lucky you. :-) The best I can do is a stage3 on this old computer, but believe you me, when I get my new PC, it's stage1 for me.

Guys I have Ubuntu, but I can't seem to understand it. LOL I've never used Linux before and I'd like to learn so why not start with something easy?? Is there anywhere I can find a nice guide to Ubuntu? Like my video card drivers.. I can't seem to install them.. I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT... thanks for any help!!!

Guys I have Ubuntu, but I can't seem to understand it. LOL I've never used Linux before and I'd like to learn so why not start with something easy?? Is there anywhere I can find a nice guide to Ubuntu? Like my video card drivers.. I can't seem to install them.. I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT... thanks for any help!!!

586807564[/snapback]

In Ubuntu (unlike Windows) the help section is actually helpful. If you look in Ubuntu help there is a section on getting your video drivers installed and it isn't too bad, should take all of 5-10 minutes.

Also check out www.ubuntuguide.org for some nice guides to installing apps like Limewire. (The site is written for 5.04, but still has much valid advice for 5.10).

The only problem with this thread is that even though they are all based on Linux, picking a distro is based on what you want it to do and how you want to use it and manage it or have it manage itself.

I personally lean towards Debian more, but Ubuntu is nice for noobs. If you really want to learn Linux then I think most people should try Slackware since it is just down and dirty hands on and forces you to learn since it is not easy.

SUSE 10 looks like it will even rival Windows Vista as far as features since most features that Vista is suppose to have, they can't get in it, is already in SUSE 10 and the lastest Mac OSX.

Redhat is nice for servers because of all of the support and applications that the Redhat team has created to manage the OS.

Like I said, it's all based on how you want to use the OS or how you want to manage it. Debian and the likes (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc.) seems the most managable to me because I love APT and how it upgrades everything on the system for you and most things you don't have to compile from source. All of the other Linux OS's are starting to do the same thing. Even Fedora uses APT, but it's RPM based.

For me its LFS or OpenBSD. I use Gentoo on my work box but that has been begging for a change lately. I dont think that I could be happy going back to a Binary distro afer all the years of running source based ones.

Ok i need your help, im new to the whole linux area.

Im an uber noobie to linux, and thus i want to learn how to use it, but i want to know whats a good distro to use for Linux Uber noobies....

As the last time i had a linux server i ssh'ed into it wanted to delete all files in the directory i was in but got the commands muddled up and ended up deleting root.... opps. (that was 2 years ago, and i kind of gave linux my back after that)

So i really want a good linux disto for uber noobies

Ubuntu, Suse, Mandriva and Fedora, in that order.

Actually, I'd strongly recommend Ubuntu reguardless. rpm-based distros are typically a mess, and I've not seen anything from Suse or Fedora/Redhat to change that opinion. Ubuntu is easy enough for the beginner, yet robust enough for the more experienced user not to feel swamped by hand-holding as well.

(ubuntu ships with the root account locked, so you won't be able to have a similar "accident" as you describe)

;)

So i really want a good linux disto for uber noobies

586863468[/snapback]

Ubuntu comes highly recommended by many here on Neowin.

I use (and like) Fedora. Mandriva and SUSE may also suit you.

It certainly doesn't hurt to try different distros and post back here with what you liked and what you didn't like about them for us to help steer you to something that might 'fit' you better.

Hey, folks!

We are coming up on the end of 2005 soon, and it will be time to retire this thread, and start a new one with refreshed poll options.

Typically, we have removed the bottom one or two items, and have replaced them with popular suggestions from the members here. (BSD has been included in the past, for example)

Any suggestions on new options to add to the poll for 2006?

I just put my first fedora install on my box. Sure, an average user could do it too, but I messed up many gentoo installs in the past. I vote gentoo anyway, as I am planning on eventually installing one or possibly trying Ubuntu by the popularity on the forums.

Hey, folks!

We are coming up on the end of 2005 soon, and it will be time to retire this thread, and start a new one with refreshed poll options.

Typically, we have removed the bottom one or two items, and have replaced them with popular suggestions from the members here. (BSD has been included in the past, for example)

Any suggestions on new options to add to the poll for 2006?

maybe PCLinuxOS and Xandros? Maybe.... :|

Barney

I'm new to linux, last three time i installed RH10 and SUSE, I simply couldnt configure my lan network etc. So dumped. Just requested CD's for Ubuntu setup, so I'll give it a try, I read quite a few posts that, it has easy network config. compared to others.

I use Knoppix 4.0.2 as my secondary OS, XP pro as primary. Knoppix has more features than, say, Ubuntu, but it's simple to learn. http://www.knopper.net/knoppix

Quick tip: when booting from the DVD to start the install, add the "nodma" option - DMA freezes the system when booting in 4.0.2 (worked in 3.8.2). Start the DVD in runlevel 2 to require a root password in order to start X. Also I experienced fstab corruption when using LILO, so be sure to use GRUB.

Mods: please add Knoppix to the poll list - a lot of people I've met love it.

-dandaman32