773 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro do you prefer?

• Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • SUSE Linux (or derivatives)
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Ubuntu
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Arch
    • Linspire
    • Mandriva

Strange, I am using a FC3 box over a DHCP on a Win2000 server, and am able to read/write to NTFS shares without a single problem. Maybe I just should stop doing this and be good then?  :D

585362401[/snapback]

Oh, you just think you are writing NTFS. You really aren't.

Linux is sending SMB requests over a network (perhaps it is NFS, I am not sure - please correct me if I am wrong). The Win2k server is writing NTFS. Samba has no clue (and no need to know) what the server's filesystem is. The client isn't really reading or writing data to/from the hard drive.

It would be like saying Win95 supported the Reiser filesystem because I was browsing a web page that was hosted on a *nix box that used the Reiser filesystem.

:)

for the record, i voted slack.

Question tho:

I've got an old compaq 4505 that i recently rebuilt, it's got a pentium 166Mhz, 64MB of ram, and a 2GB hard drive (and a seperate 1GB swap drive). I can't get slack to work right so far...and i've been kinda unlucky downloading the VectorLinux iso's. I was wondering what other minimal distro's ya'll would reccomend? i just want to use this as a basic internet computer, firefox, gaim, maybe a few games, just basic stuff. If ya'll think slack or vector are a good choice, i'll try them again. Thanks in advance.

for the record, i voted slack.

Question tho:

I've got an old compaq 4505 that i recently rebuilt, it's got a pentium 166Mhz, 64MB of ram, and a 2GB hard drive (and a seperate 1GB swap drive). I can't get slack to work right so far...and i've been kinda unlucky downloading the VectorLinux iso's. I was wondering what other minimal distro's ya'll would reccomend? i just want to use this as a basic internet computer, firefox, gaim, maybe a few games, just basic stuff. If ya'll think slack or vector are a good choice, i'll try them again. Thanks in advance.

585365799[/snapback]

I have used DamnSmall Linux (Debian/Knoppix-based) in the Live-CD format because I have several blank wallet-sized CDs lying around. It is pretty nice for something 50MB in size. (Y)

(and it uses flux) :D

Gentoo for me, and Gentoo for newbies, the best and easiest way to learn Linux :)

Gentoo's documentation rules all for new guys :)

Jan

585209808[/snapback]

oh ya they have the best documentation for a linux OS :D

I'm a total newbie to Linux, but I've had a look at Linspire (Formally known as Lindows!) I was wondering what everyones views on Linspire are? Any good? Certainly looks pretty! :p

Zoom7000

I'm a total newbie to Linux, but I've had a look at Linspire (Formally known as Lindows!) I was wondering what everyones views on Linspire are? Any good? Certainly looks pretty! :p

Zoom7000

585375521[/snapback]

Most people have a very negative opinion of Linspire. I say it has a market that they are after, and I don't agree with how MUCH they make Linux like Windows (for example, runs as root), but it really does a good job at being an easy-to-use OS.

I am downloading Gentoo right now... Package and LiveCD :) Gentoo looks promising - It actually has a Guidebook! So I hope I won't have that much trouble with Gentoo. Would you guys recommend other distro's? I tried out SLAX and Knoppix and they are really cool too.

unless it's just the copy i had, i found Mandrake was missing a **** of alot of software, i had trouble installing 95-98% of the **** i downloaded. I'm gonna try Red Hat or Debian next

unless it's just the copy i had, i found Mandrake was missing a **** of alot of software, i had trouble installing 95-98% of the **** i downloaded. I'm gonna try Red Hat or Debian next

585423642[/snapback]

Debian is not really intended for home users. As far as I am concerned the closest thing to Debian, without actually being Debian, is Knoppix.

Ubuntu is also similar but they have their own (apt-get software) repositories while Knoppix uses the standard Debian ones. This is probably because Ubuntu is moving towards X.org faster than Debian is (Debian developers have stated that X.org breaks compatibiltiy with apt-get).

Knoppix can be installed to the hard drive and used as a "normal" distro. It is not just a LiveCD. Once installed, it is 99% similar to Debian "sid".

I'm using SUSE LINUX 9.2... The best distros in the world, stable, efficient, complete. I have also discovered Ubuntu, very interesting one. Now using both of them.

im completly new to linux and was wondering which would be the best linux for me, i will be installing this onto a partition on my HD as well as windows, it wont be my main OS but i would like something new to play with, also windows is crap, i would quite like a stable distro but with some intresting features, if there any of this type i have googled and serached but neowin is the most consise information source, im not a complete computer n00b, dont need aany idiot proof versions