Xbox 360 Specs updated at IGN, Faster Than PS3

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/617/617951p1.html

May 20, 2005 - It's 3:30 pm on Friday, May 20, the last day of E3. The fine PR folks from Microsoft, who invited us to their headquarters a week before E3 to show us their system, their specs, and the grand design behind their powerful new Xbox 360, have just sent us an urgent notice to update our specs with new information. Earlier in the day, we were sent a comparative analysis of the Xbox 360's power vs. the PlayStation 3's power.

We decided to put this Microsoft-provided information our undigested. Thus, enclosed is a Microsoft-made comparitive analysis. We have not alterted, added, or tinkered with the data. We have not interpreted the specs. We have pasted and cut this information from the email into our site and formatted it. Make of it what you will, but be clear we know Microsoft has clearly slanted this info, and we're not endorsing it, just printing their version. There is a difference.

Lastly, we were sent updated spec numbers on the Xbox's numbers, and we spoke with Microsoft's Vice President of hardware, Todd Holmdahl, about the Xbox 360's final transistor count.

Another bit of information sent our way is the final transistor count for Xbox 360's graphics subset. The GPU totals 332 million transistors, which is spit between the two separate dies that make up the part. The parent die is the "main" piece of the GPU, handling the large bulk of the graphics rendering, and is comprised of 232 million transistors. The daughter die contains the system's 10MB of embedded DRAM and its logic chip, which is capable of some additional 3D math. The daughter die totals an even 100 million transistors, bringing the total transistor count for the GPU to 332 million.

What do you all think? Discuss

I dont trust anything from Sony or Microsoft. Obviously there going to say that there console is better than the other. I'll wait till I see some games before I judge which console is more capable.

I dont trust anything from Sony or Microsoft.  Obviously there going to say that there console is better than the other.  I'll wait till I see some games before I judge which console is more capable.

585950140[/snapback]

AMEN! :happy: :yes:

Anandtech and HardOCP have stated the 10 MB memory for free anti aliasing will never see the light of day on PC until 2007-2008 because PC's dont have the capability to handle it at the moment

omfg, i knew microsoft couldn't go with out having some type of crap talk about there console and how uber powerful it is.. there speaking bs out of there arse's. I mean sony does it and all the others do, but wow... DTM = Dont trust Manufacters

Its kinda like the intel and amd thing... some of you may know ;)

Wow orangesoul, another thread from you claiming xbox360's superiority and PS3's inferiority. :rolleyes:

Tranny counts mean nothing people, the NV30 had more trannies then the R300 and we all know the outcome of that.

its News, i didnt make it up. WOuldnt you think of it to be news . the ign websites has 1 line on transistors and thats not the part which states the case, read the website first

Well I was a little bit dissapointed after E3 because all the news and **** said PS3 was so much more powerful than XB360 but after reading this article it looks like Microsoft is doing just fine.

So orangesoul, you take Microsoft-provided information as divine truth and take Sony-provided information as the devils entrails. I respected you as a cohort at the beginning of E3, but now your credibility is out the door.

:rofl: why does it freaking matter, personally I'll wait till both systems are actually out and try them out for myself before I make any decision.

Playstation 3 faster, Microsoft Xbox 360 easier

THE HOT QUESTION AT E3 is not how to scam a t-shirt or get a free game, it is about the consoles. Since they have been shown, sort of, to the press, performance questions are all the rage. Bench racing and Star Trek physics are the order of the day, no one has a clue about the answers, but if you weigh over 300 pounds, and have poor enough hygiene, you too can be very loud when arguing about consoles.

Rather than take that approach, I went to the source and asked people who have them. Details are scarce, and the hardware is still a bit rough, but one clear pattern emerged. The PS3 is faster, the Xbox 360 is easier to deal with.

The tools wizards at MS came through this time and made for a better out of the box experience for devs. MS has put a lot of time and effort into this, from XNA to hand holding, so coupled with a more conventional architecture, it wins round one.

The PS3 has more raw horsepower under the hood, but is a bitch to use until you can wrap your brain around some very different paradigms. Once you can do this, the PS3 will take the lead and probably keep it for the life of the console. Like the last set of consoles, the initial crop of titles will not be all that astounding, but the second ones will.

So all the black shirts so far agree, MS has the ball right now, from coming out first to leading the initial charge. Sony is coming up behind, strongly, and will take the lead back in 2006. Then again, the consoles won't be out for at least 6 months to a year, and that is a long time. Anything can happen, place you bets, and get in line for a shirt. ?

Source

I think I'll trust the developers who are actually making the games more than the companies who are trying to make their competition look worse. Microsoft is also doing fuzzy math.

i agree with a few things u guys have said on both sides. but bein a current xbox owner, and previous ps1 owner, i cant trust sony's ass. i went thru 3 ps1s. my friend went thru 5 ps1's and 3 ps2's. and my just recently bought, "taken VERY good care" of psp is not loading games anymore. until i see better manufactoring of their systems, they can keep the ps3. when will people realize the user base of ps 1s and 2s are of people that had to buy a 2nd and 3rd system. my xbox still worx since the launch date. and im tired of bein locked into their products as well. memory stick, duo, pro, pro duo, duo pro.... wtf!!! microsoft has ****ed me off tho... no game ive seen looks like Killzone. if u can do those graphics, show it! and DONT wait for HALO 2!!!

da relic

i agree with a few things u guys have said on both sides.  but bein a current xbox owner, and previous ps1 owner, i cant trust sony's ass.  i went thru 3 ps1s. my friend went thru 5 ps1's and 3 ps2's.  and my just recently bought, "taken VERY good care" of psp is not loading games anymore.  until i see better manufactoring of their systems, they can keep the ps3.  when will people realize the user base of ps 1s and 2s are of people that had to buy a 2nd and 3rd system.  my xbox still worx since the launch date.  and im tired of bein locked into their products as well.  memory stick, duo, pro, pro duo, duo pro.... wtf!!!  microsoft has ****ed me off tho... no game ive seen looks like Killzone.  if u can do those graphics, show it!  and DONT wait for HALO 2!!!

da relic

585950456[/snapback]

when u were under the rock did they tell you Killzone 2 was pre-rendered CGI

i agree with a few things u guys have said on both sides.  but bein a current xbox owner, and previous ps1 owner, i cant trust sony's ass.  i went thru 3 ps1s. my friend went thru 5 ps1's and 3 ps2's.  and my just recently bought, "taken VERY good care" of psp is not loading games anymore.  until i see better manufactoring of their systems, they can keep the ps3.  when will people realize the user base of ps 1s and 2s are of people that had to buy a 2nd and 3rd system.  my xbox still worx since the launch date.  and im tired of bein locked into their products as well.  memory stick, duo, pro, pro duo, duo pro.... wtf!!!  microsoft has ****ed me off tho... no game ive seen looks like Killzone.  if u can do those graphics, show it!  and DONT wait for HALO 2!!!

da relic

585950456[/snapback]

Great, another mindless member on Neowin, just want we need.

:rolleyes:

what u mean rock? the interview at ign.com said those were in game graphics... and even if they were cgi... they SHOULD be in game graphics, bcuz those graphics r the next generation.

da relic