10.4.2 soon ?

Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.4.2 8C21

The combo updater is about 43 MB in size, currently. It'll try and fix the remaining bugs from 10.4 and 10.4.1. Apart from "general" usability and reliability, the note for the seed mentions - among other things - changes/fixes in the .Mac Notification Client, Automator, AddressBook, AppleScript, CoreGraphics, Display Preferences, Finder Search files, iCal, iDisk Syncing, iWork, JavaScriptCore, Mail, AirPort networking, Printing, Safari, Spotlight. Sounds like an interesting and well-needed updated. It's expected to have a rather short development cycle and will probably arrive in Software Update in mid June at the very latest. We'll continue to inform you about it, as we get more information.

http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/macnews...8#20050528_8c21

I hope they'll fix that hide at login bug for once, together with the unfixable Recovered files folders in the Trash problem and it would be nice seeing that iChatAgent isn't on (Not Responding) all the time.

I want Apple to work as hard as they can working on the bug fixes for 10.4.2. I dont care how long it takes them to do, aslong as its done properly. Dont wanna see them rush it out and only need to fix a ton more in 10.4.3.

Would also like to see Spotlight have the ability to produce the file's information on screen as you type. (Something small i know, just handy)

:shifty: :ninja:

Moving along quite fast build number wise will be at 10.5 before we know it at this rate.

585985454[/snapback]

It's surprisingly stable too for a beta, don't you think? Still having that annoying Trash problem though, I hope they'll fix that before the final comes out.

It's surprisingly stable too for a beta, don't you think? Still getting that annoying Trash problem though, I hope they'll fix that before the final comes out.

585985477[/snapback]

wow now that you guys mention it i notice this trash problem too. i always thought it was just me deleting files.

hope this patch is good and fixes quite a bit of problems.

wow now that you guys mention it i notice this trash problem too.? i always thought it was just me deleting files.

hope this patch is good and fixes quite a bit of problems.

585985483[/snapback]

It's a pain in the ass. I got this bull**** story from the Apple helpdesk saying it's normal (yeah right, that's why I didn't have it before) and a guy at the Mac Store here told me it's a known issue but there isn't a fix for it yet.

The really annoying part is that formatting doesn't seem to help.:((

Do not circumvent the profanity filter>

Edited by Chad

It's a pain in the ass. I got this bullsh*t story from the Apple helpdesk saying it's normal (yeah right, that's why I didn't have it before) and a guy at the Mac Store here told me it's a known issue but there isn't a fix for it yet.

The really annoying part is that formatting doesn't seem to help. :(

585985488[/snapback]

What is the problem exactly?

What is the problem exactly?

585987496[/snapback]

On restart or login the Trash is full even if you emptied it before, containing folders like Recovered files, Recovered files 1, Recovered files 2 etc. These folders mostly have downloaded files in them from iChat (avatars for example), attachments from Mail, cookies from Safari etc. I completely formatted my drive and it happens less frequent now but it's not totally gone.

Haven't noticed much application build # changes in this 10.4.2 build. The .dmg package is about 43,2 MB in size. Still waiting for the magical moment that Mail and iChat will actually hide at login... To be perfectly honest with you guys, I haven't noticed any changes at all.

post-91325-1117444737.png

Edited by PureLogic

Here's the change list from the seed notes:

New in this seed:

- Fixed problem with .Mac Notification Client

- Fixed issue with AD Plugin

- Fixed debugging issue with AppleScript and Automator actions

- Automator Playlist fix

- Automator iPhoto fix

- Automator shell script fix

- Automator new Mail message fix

- Fixed problem where users could not dial out using modem

- Fixed mobile login problem with Active Directory accounts

- Fixed problem where DirectoryService may crash after Sleep

- Fixed problem with Finder slideshow

- Fixed issue with Finder ACL and SMB volumes

- Fixed issue when doing a search in Finder may not find all documents

- Fixed problem where blank media may not mount

- Fixed problem where snmpd may crash when queried

- Fixed problem where newly created User accounts may not show up

- Fixed issue with smartcards not working in certain situations

- Fixed database integrityCheck error

- Improvements to video conferencing frame rate

- Fixed problem where some users experienced insufficient bandwidth

issues when using iChat

- Fixed issue with onunload handler

- Fixed problem where weather widget may crash in certain situations

- Fixed issue with XMLHttpRequest

- Fixed problem with JavaScript drop handlers

- Fixed problem where user may not be able to save file to WebDAV

volumes when using Save As

- Fixed iDisk error reporting problem

- Fixed problem where iDisk may not mount through certain proxies

- Fixed problem where Keychain entries for servers may not be stored

correctly

...and it would be nice seeing that iChatAgent isn't on (Not Responding) all the time.

585983561[/snapback]

This has been highlighted as one of the many problems with iChat in Tiger, word on the Apple Discussions board is that an update may come separately but its taking some time to work out all the issues.

New build posted (8c26). Here are the relevant parts of the release notes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

KNOWN ISSUES

- N/A for this build.

AREAS OF CHANGE

New in this seed:

- Fixed problem with .Mac Notification Client

- Fixed issue with AD Plugin

- Fixed debugging issue with AppleScript and Automator actions

- Automator Playlist fix

- Automator iPhoto fix

- Automator shell script fix

- Automator new Mail message fix

- Fixed problem where users could not dial out using modem

- Fixed mobile login problem with Active Directory accounts

- Fixed problem where DirectoryService may crash after Sleep

- Fixed problem with Finder slideshow

- Fixed issue with Finder ACL and SMB volumes

- Fixed issue when doing a search in Finder may not find all documents

- Fixed problem where blank media may not mount

- Fixed problem where snmpd may crash when queried

- Fixed problem where newly created User accounts may not show up

- Fixed issue with smartcards not working in certain situations

- Fixed database integrityCheck error

- Improvements to video conferencing frame rate

- Fixed problem where some users experienced insufficient bandwidth

issues when using iChat

- Fixed issue with onunload handler

- Fixed problem where weather widget may crash in certain situations

- Fixed issue with XMLHttpRequest

- Fixed problem with JavaScript drop handlers

- Fixed problem where user may not be able to save file to WebDAV

volumes when using Save As

- Fixed iDisk error reporting problem

- Fixed problem where iDisk may not mount through certain proxies

- Fixed problem where Keychain entries for servers may not be stored

correctly

Build 8C27 posted:

New in this seed:

- Fixed problem where some periodic activities would only one run once

after reboot

- Improved widget download experience

- Fixed issue where saving an attachment with a read-only resource fork

would sometimes fail

- Fixed font sizing issue with Jabber XHTML-IM

- Fixed problem with large IO reads

For more 10.4.2 news look here:

http://www.thinksecret.com/

586051030[/snapback]

Thanks for catching that. I hadn't checked ADC in a few days and almost missed 8C29!

KNOWN ISSUES

- N/A for this build

AREAS OF CHANGE

New in this seed:

- Fixed issue with AirPort and Internet Sharing

- iChat now supports multiple system sign logins

- Improved iChat launch time

I just tried downloading a widget with the new build (hadn't tried one in a while), and I figured I'd expand on Apple's cryptic "improved widget download experience". This is what you get now (pretty nice if you ask me):

Source: Mac Rumors

Appleinsider claims that retail Mac OS X boxes will start shipping with Mac OS X 10.4.2 sometime this month. Meanwhile, the Mac OS X update should be released this week:

Mac OS X 10.4.2, which is due for release from the company this week, will reportedly deliver over 80 fixes and enhancements to Tiger, in addition to those included with Mac OS X 10.4.1.

Fixes listed include graphics drivers, Finder updates, improved autologin as well as changes to various core applications including Address Book, Automator, Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, iCal, iChat, Mail, Safari, and Stickies. Apple reportedly seeded Mac OS X 10.4.2 Build 8C29 this past weekend. There are "no known issues" with the update at the time of seeding.

Source: Apple Insider

Apple Computer this month is expected to update its retail copies of Mac OS X 10.4 to include the first two maintenance releases to the Tiger operating system, ensuring that all new customers obtain the most stable and reliable version of Mac OS X directly out of the box.

The company's online store in Canada is already listing for sale the current version of Mac OS X as "OS X V10.4.2 'Tiger' Retail," although the latest official release remains at 10.4.1. Developers contacted by AppleInsider also said they are expecting to receive Mac OS X 10.4.2 on optical media -- something Apple did not offer with the release of Mac OS X 10.4.1 last month.

Mac OS X 10.4.2, which is due for release from the company this week, will reportedly deliver over 80 fixes and enhancements to Tiger, in addition to those included with Mac OS X 10.4.1.

Among the many fixes expected in the release are Finder updates to finding by kind and using Slideshow, updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers, and improved autologin for managed user accounts.

Other areas of change will reportedly improve user experiences with AirPort and wireless access, iDisk synching, installation reliability, and file sharing using AFP and SMB/CIFS network file services.

The release is also rumored to deliver enhancements to Address Book, Automator, Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, iCal, iChat, Mail, Safari, and Stickies.

Sources tell AppleInsider that Mac OS X 10.4.2 will likely arrive in two versions: a 42MB Delta release containing only the changes made since Mac OS X 10.4.1, and a 55MB Combo update that will pack all the enhancements made to Tiger since its inaugural release on April 29th.

According to reports already present on several Internet sites, Apple over the weekend provided its developers with Mac OS X 10.4.2 build 8C29, which at the time contained no known bugs.

Still, it's rumored that Apple continues to work on Mac OS X 10.4.2 this week and is considering builds from the 8C3x milestone as final candidates.