Choose the best internet browser:  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the best internet browser:

• Safari
    • Netscape
    • Internet Explorer
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • Other

Personally I wouldn't exactly go by starting up time as a argument for whether or not a browser is good or not seeing as how the g5 optimised build of deer park loads in a bounce on my imac.

I would use Safari if it had a free and easy to use Adblocker, I tried the only free one I could find which you had to edit a xml document and place in the blocks manually and 50% of the time it did not even block what I told it to.

Because of that I have moved back to Firefox. I wish Firefox rendered as fast as Safari on my Mac but some sacrifices had to be made, I love adblock.

BTW, to find which browser I prefer on my Mac I tried for 1 week each, Opera Safari and Firefox and I looked at all the add-ons and extensions for all 3 browsers in this time and also did render tests in Java and basic HTML sites.

ive been using ff on both my xp and osx computer, but lately ive found ff on osx to be to slow to use.

I switched to safari and my web experience has increased alot.

Only setback about safari is that i cant use adblock :(

@MSWarts,

Are YOU insane?

quote:

For your information, I voted Safari, because it is the best looking, fastest loading, fastest with Java, fastest with JavaScript, and the most intuitive to use. I also like the fact that it is based on the standard-compliant KHTML rendering engine. Firefox and Camino lag behind in terms of speed, but they make up for it in features, especially Firefox with web-development. On the other hand, IE is not good looking, not as fast at loading, rendering HTML, Java or JavaScript, is neither intuitive nor easy to use, offers no exclusive features, and is NO LONGER FECKING supported on the Mac platform!! So yes, the 8 people who have now voted for Internet Explorer are IDIOTS. The people who believe it is #1 on Mac are either living under a rock or pushing special interests. Either way, they are idiots. So before you go calling me out on not knowing my facts, look at your own ignorance. I respect the opinions of others, when they are educated. You are not.

-----

You said that you respect people's opinions, then called them idiots. You're contradicting yourself.

I am now calling you out. I didn't say you didn't know the facts, I said that you do not have the right to judge people. You can say what you think, but does it have to result in putting someone down?

I think you've confused someone else's post with mine, why are you saying I am not educated.

again, you have to be specific with your comments or else they can be misunderstood.

I'm ASSUMING you meant, uneducated when it comes to the best browser on a mac, and not on another topic, because I'd gladly like to prove you wrong.

Then you said

Quote:

Did you know that not all sites are designed properly? Including your example: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%....odeon.co.uk%2F

Maybe you should know something about the Internet before you make up problems with good browsers and call informed people out when in fact you are among the idiots I speak of.

In conclusion, the following browsers (the ones listed on the poll) have the following strengths:

Safari : FASTEST at EVERYTHING, based on open-source KHTML, standard compliant, easy-to-use, and visually stunning

Netscape : None, but no one picked it thank God

Firefox : Based on open-source Gecko rendering engine, standard compliant, easy-to-use, and feature-rich, especially with extensions

Internet Explorer : Partially standard compliant, not the slowest, BUT IS NOT THE BEST AT ANYTHING, and as a side note-it isn't even supported... it also boasts the largest IDIOTIC user base

I don't know why I chose to waste my time destroying you, but I felt it was necessary for you to get a clue before you make baseless accusations and uninformed opinions.

Have a nice day!

----

I'm a webdesigner by partial living. How do you know what I know? You do alot of insinuation dont you?

I dont like to argue, but he's making me explain myself.

If you are informed, then you should also be informed by the fact that people dont necessarily have an opinion based on performance, but some people choose things because they are used to it.

Again you are guessing because you said that I voted IE?

Did I say I did?

Can you see what I voted for?

STOP GUESSING.

The funniest part was when I read this.

"I don't know why I chose to waste my time destroying you, but I felt it was necessary for you to get a clue before you make baseless accusations and uninformed opinions."

Please dont give me any of your knowledge, I dont appreciate your thickness, and I dont care for anything that comes out of a rude little boy. (wait that was insulting, I mean a rude person)

I didn't give my opinion by the way I gave a possiblity for why people voted of IE.

Study the difference, oh and also learn to reply with such a post when it's necessary.

*waits for applause*

*sound of one hand clapping*

Anyway.. er, i'm using Firefox at the moment as its what I used to use on Windows.. but will give Camino a try seeing as they made a special browser just for us OSX users! :)

I hate to make my first post here so... unpleasant, but, MSWarts... WTF?

I mean, it sounds like you read only a part of his argument.

IE is NOT a bad browser, it's unsecure, it's unpretty, it's unadvanced -- but it is however, not un...good. Er... yeah. It's not ungood. >.>

Anyways, IE is a very simple browser. And sure, it's going to be lacking in some areas, like the ones I've mentioned already, and some others, but just because it has a few flaws, doesn't make it drop so far on the list.

I don't use IE unless I have to, I stick with MSN Premium, and in my opinion, that is the best looking, and also, one of the most secure browsers out there.

But, I'm not going to thrash on someone for having a different view.

Someone could tell me, "FireFox is the best," and I would totally respect their opinion, even more if they gave reasons!

But, back to the subject at hand -- it's so nice to hear someone refer to another person as an idiot for having an opinion. =\

Private Browsing isn't that helpful, it still keeps cookies right? What all does it get rid of?

586357129[/snapback]

It doesn't keep cookies, cache, history, or anything relating to that session.

Safari has the best "mac experience" but the render engine leaves a lot to be desired. I find myself writing but reports or test cases about once a week on average. It was much improved with 1.3 and 2.0 but there are still some pretty serious holes in it's XML support and if you try to get "clever" with CSS you can usually back it into a corner.

Omniweb is nice but it just doesn't deliver that "powerful yet simple" experience that Omnioutline and Omnigraffle pull off. It's cluttered.

Firefox/Camino try so hard to be mac like but they end up ruining themselves in the process. Thanks for the oft' updated display engine but the user experience leaves a bit to be desired.

I try not to talk about IE 5.2 any more in case somebody asks me to support it. I'm happy to push an agenda of Opera 7.5, IE6, Firefox 1, Links, and Safari 1 wherever I can.

Pretty much every browser leaves something to be desired but safari sucks the least.

I am currently giving Shiira (Website) a try and I must say I am liking it. It is as fast as Safari (it uses the web toolkit) but has some nice extra features. It supports "private browsing" but I don't think rss, but I don't use rss anyways.

Be careful with those Radish, they break Saft fairly often, which is my main reason for not doing it until each Saft update.

Oh, and does anyone know why the Acid2 passing code hasn't been merged into the nightlies yet?