Fedora Core 4 Released!

So do you all do custom installs or full installs?

586058326[/snapback]

I do a custom install, but if you're new to Linux, then doing one of the pre-configured installations would be better.

I'm not gonna say how I really feel about that comment since I'll probably get warned again :rolleyes: There was a port of the Milk visual style to gnome I think, but that's about it. It's more probable that Mac will put in command lines instead of Linux getting a "lickable GUI", and Mac implementing command lines has a pretty low probability.

586058029[/snapback]

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=326181 :)

maybe it's not the right thread to ask, but

is it possible to run FedoreCore4 on something like VirtualPC inside Windows?

586057879[/snapback]

Yes it's possible. Im running FC3 without any problems in VMware Workstation 5. I will switch to FC4 as soon as i have downloaded the DVD ISO.

I do a custom install, but if you're new to Linux, then doing one of the pre-configured installations would be better.

586058418[/snapback]

I'm thinking of doing a full install to avoid dependency problems. That is if this ever finishes.

Thanks for the news, gonna give this a try :)

I would also like some screens before downloading if poss (Y)

586058129[/snapback]

Screens? I think it's going to be pretty much like any other updated Linux running Gnome. :unsure:

did anyone have tested yet? ...

586058999[/snapback]

I downloaded and installed all three tests and it really wasn't that much different from Fedora Core 3.

... and is better than SUSE 9.3?

586058999[/snapback]

Depends on who you are. If you are new to Linux, Suse 9.3 is great because it is very user friendly.

I haven't used RedHat in a lonnng time, downloading FC4 now. Have they improved RPMs since Redhat 6.1, is there a way to manage (update) all of them?

I haven't used RedHat in a lonnng time, downloading FC4 now. Have they improved RPMs since Redhat 6.1, is there a way to manage (update) all of them?

586059115[/snapback]

The RPM system is the same on an individual file level, but they have yum to manage dependencies in the same way that apt-get does for Debian.

I downloaded and installed all three tests and it really wasn't that much different from Fedora Core 3.

Depends on who you are. If you are new to Linux, Suse 9.3 is great because it is very user friendly.

586059062[/snapback]

thank you mate, I'm using Suse 9.3 in my mother's computer for her because she don't know very well how the computer and the internet works, so SUSE has been very easy for her and is a secure platform practically free of virus that's why I put linux to protect her agains virus and spywares when she is surfing the web. :cool:

Ugh! Bad pun, Knight'!

Yum seems to re-read everything when you issue the command to install/remove/search, and this makes it slower to install than apt-get on my Fedora box.

Plus, if you compare yum on Fedora to apt-get on Debian, you will have several times more packages in the Debian system - though this is not a limitation of yum, nor a better feature of apt-get; this is just testament to the large variety of packages available in the Debian part of *nix-land.

oh man I am so tempted to delete xp and try FC 4

586059183[/snapback]

I would recommend dual-booting for someone just coming from Windows. Linux can be a very deep pool, and starting shallow is normally a good idea. (and then you can dump Windows when you get yoru Linux all set up and doing what you need) ;)

I would recommend dual-booting for someone just coming from Windows.  Linux can be a very deep pool, and starting shallow is normally a good idea.  (and then you can dump Windows when you get yoru Linux all set up and doing what you need) ;)

586059194[/snapback]

Sadly, a lot of users that I've come into contact with that have tried Linux, have jumped right in head first thinking they knew it all--I was one of them, but I held on long enough that I didn't drowned like that others. Dual-booting Windows and Linux is a great idea so that if you do get frustrated you can boot into Windows and come back to what you were doing when you have a fresher mind :yes:

I would recommend dual-booting for someone just coming from Windows.  Linux can be a very deep pool, and starting shallow is normally a good idea.  (and then you can dump Windows when you get yoru Linux all set up and doing what you need) ;)

586059194[/snapback]

All my HDD are ntfs and with stuff in. That is my major concern, converting all that in linux file system since writing on ntfs is kinda bugy I heard

Well. My intel Pro Wireless 2200 does not work out of the box on my laptop. I honestly do not see why they cant get this going seeing as its one of the most popular for laptops. :(

Everything else is slick.

Well. My intel Pro Wireless 2200 does not work out of the box on my laptop. I honestly do not see why they cant get this going seeing as its one of the most popular for laptops. :(

Everything else is slick.

586059381[/snapback]

Agentsmith, same problem i had :no: ... did you find out how to get it working?

How did I get a warning level of 20% :o :pinch: :cry:

Hurmoth: I don't think so, i think there is a native driver but I have no idea how to get it to work w/ FC4 :/