Fedora Core 4 Released!

It is possible to install from the .iso files on your hard drive (if it is FAT or ext2/3 format). You can install over the network (local or wide area).

You can install only CD1, and yum install the rest, too.

Lotsa options.

I used it for a few minutes, but I didn't like it... I like OS X:D

how the hell do you use an OS for "a few minutes"? however, i'll side with you on your opinion...fedora's a bloated monster :laugh:

Had no luck installing the DVD ISO on VPC 2004. The installer just say's (when selecting Local CDROM) Fedora CD not found and ejects the DVD. Anyone know how to get around this? I really don't want to dual boot.

I've been using Red hat 9, would like to try out FC4. Can I install FC4 on top of Redhat9 or do I have to format and start over? Also, is it safe to assume that all applications that I installed in redhat 9 will also run in FC4 without any problems?

I decided I won't be trying this release after I see/hear from others on how it works with Acer Aspire 1690 series laptops, and whether it supports Intel Centrino's ACPI features and IPW2200 Wireless adaptor(which Agentsmith just said no it doesn't).

I don't understand why these new and popular features aren't supported in this new release:/ Mepis linux seems to be the only smart linux distro that can detect a LOT of new hardware out of the box(almost my entire laptop including gfx and my IPW2200 card were up and working instantly at first boot, hell even worked in live lcd!)

I decided I won't be trying this release after I see/hear from others on how it works with Acer Aspire 1690 series laptops, and whether it supports Intel Centrino's ACPI features and IPW2200 Wireless adaptor(which Agentsmith just said no it doesn't).

586067606[/snapback]

I think this will get your IPW2200 working:

1. su

2. modprobe ipw2200

But yeah I agree, what is so difficult that these things aren't supported. My notebook has a monitor & video card that so far no Linux will support. I have to run Linux in framebuffers with 16-bit color at a resolution of 800x600 when my monitor supports 1280x800 :crazy:

Edited by Hurmoth

Had no luck installing the DVD ISO on VPC 2004.  The installer just say's (when selecting Local CDROM) Fedora CD not found and ejects the DVD.  Anyone know how to get around this?  I really don't want to dual boot.

586067512[/snapback]

Are you sure the download and the media are correct? Did you do an sha1sum on them?

For x86-compatible (32-bit):
FC4-i386-DVD.iso (sha1sum: 2f151a7329846da685c2a72fcb40eba3e8a355a0)

For x86_64 (64-bit AMD64, EM64T):
FC4-x86_64-DVD.iso (sha1sum: 2f166c7cff4e7334744d48e642b3287693d982ed)

I've been using Red hat 9, would like to try out FC4. Can I install FC4 on top of Redhat9 or do I have to format and start over? Also, is it safe to assume that all applications that I installed in redhat 9 will also run in FC4 without any problems?

586067577[/snapback]

Not safe to assume anything with a jump that big. RH9 uses the 2.4 kernel and gcc 3. FC4 has the 2.6 kernel and gcc 4. Back up any important data.

Had no luck installing the DVD ISO on VPC 2004.  The installer just say's (when selecting Local CDROM) Fedora CD not found and ejects the DVD.  Anyone know how to get around this?  I really don't want to dual boot.

586067512[/snapback]

Virtual PC doesn't support CD images over 2 gigabytes :no:

Why Fedora uses OpenOffice 2.0? It's still in beta.

586068194[/snapback]

SUSE Linux 9.3 also uses OOo 2.0. Even though it is still in beta, it is still extremely stable.

^^^ is the torrent in the first post slow, as well?

586074173[/snapback]

Im getting about 25kb/sec download, probably because my upload isnt exactly great (25kb/sec)

• 1 month later...

Hate to revive an old thread, but I ran into this yesterday, and thought it would be helpful.

I am on my laptop with no CD burner and DVD burner. ( No floppy as well >< )

I could properly burn 1 CD.

Is it possible to install from only the first CD?

586061191[/snapback]

Burn the first CD, and at the boot: prompt, type in linux askmethod. Setup will proceed and ask you how you want to install it. Select FTP. Use download.fedora.redhat.com as the server, and /pub/fedora/linux/core/4/i386/os as the path, if you're installing the x86 version. If not, find the appropriate ./os folder for the version you need. You could also use any FTP mirror.