Free 1GB Web Host

Question

One problem about faking all the stuff they ask for:

From the Spooted TOS Section 5:

What do you think they'll do to Danny since he faked all the stuff.  ;)

586387032[/snapback]

Bah. I don't think it much matters. They can't even tell if someone appears to have typed in the "right" information either. Sure you could put real info ... but is it yours? Or someguy 20 blocks away???

I think what would be better for the hosting company would be to gather more information about the people surfing on its free websites.

i think its great, actually. it has cpanel for you and the ftp uploading speeds hover around ~48KB/s which is actually pretty great. http download speed is pretty fast too. i downloaded a 2.48MB file in 30 seconds (if not, less :blink: )

they're using the 4.3.11 release of php though :huh: a tad out of date though..they're using mysql 4.0.25, which is a version behind (current is 4.1). there is smtp and email addresses under your subdomain (or domain, but not in my case). you get 100 additional email accounts as well as "webmaster@subdomain.spooted.com".

total disk space: 1024.00MB (they didn't skimp on the 24MB :p )

total bandwidth: 10000.00MB (almost 10GB of bandwidth, although they missed 240MB :whistle: )

not much to complain about (as it is free as well, which is great) :D

i think its great, actually. it has cpanel for you and the ftp uploading speeds hover around ~48KB/s which is actually pretty great. http download speed is pretty fast too. i downloaded a 2.48MB file in 30 seconds (if not, less :blink: )

they're using the 4.3.11 release of php though :huh: a tad out of date though..they're using mysql 4.0.25, which is a version behind (current is 4.1). there is smtp and email addresses under your subdomain (or domain, but not in my case). you get 100 additional email accounts as well as "webmaster@subdomain.spooted.com".

total bandwidth: 10000.00MB (almost 10GB of bandwidth, although they missed 240MB :whistle: )

586388493[/snapback]

I signed up and waiting for their approval. I hope they would last long. However, their design is quite vauge and boring though.

586388493[/snapback]

The php and mysql is out of date, because it is included in cPanel, being a host myself, I know this. As soon as cPanel release a build with php5, I update my servers with it. I presume that spooted will do the same.

Looks like a mediocre service, but you can't beat the price! I like the idea, and it should only get better, like Wikipedia did. Answer me this though - Why SPOOTED.org?

They replyed within a day and my account was approved. Im currently running my .com site and its pretty amazing. A whole cpanel comes with it too. Ftp, mysql, the works. I see no downsides to this host other then they need more bandwidth. :D Im already using 400mbs of the 10g in just less then 3 days and most of that comes from my forum. I would post a link but its not allowed on neowin.

I got rejected!  Probably because I put fjalsjdflqds in every space.

586394077[/snapback]

I feel your pain :(

*begins finding a way to change IP* :ninja:

applied, got it, it's great for a free host...most free hosts are a pathetic 100MB and rarely have cPanel which is a plus...now i just need a better cPanel skin and updated PHP/MySQL as has been mentioned. very nice though :) :yes:

this is sorta embarrassing for me... but i signed up and was accepted, and i changed my password and everything.... but how do i access my cpanel? I looked around the site for a while, i'm probably missing something really obvious.

can somebody enlighten me?

i signed up and got excepted and got the domain working. but now i cant access my domain... not even through ftp. only through the ctrl pnl.

For who of you that were accepted...

What did you enter? Did you put your actual stats, did you switch around numbers, or just bs'd it.

Address: 1234 Bogus Lane

City: Wouldntyouliketoknow State: BS Zip: 12345

University attended: Whatsamatta U

(That's about the only thing they don't ask!)

They harp on using the English language, yes, but that's not about avoiding typos or bad grammar. They require your sites to be in English so they can read it. They manually check sites to ensure people are being good. They couldn't do that if your site was Russian.

this is sorta embarrassing for me... but i signed up and was accepted, and i changed my password and everything.... but how do i access my cpanel? I looked around the site for a while, i'm probably missing something really obvious.

can somebody enlighten me?

586395804[/snapback]

if you have changed your dns servers to the spooted ones, and its been 2-3 days, type your website url and then put /cpanel after it and log in :)

Or go to your url and type :2082/ beside it and login :)