Complete feature list of Longhorn?

very nice list will be nice to have a clean install done in 15-20 minutes...will save lots of time. even though it is kind of hard to believe

Great list, but that doc y_notm showed us shows some of these features only being present in only some of the several thousand Longhorn versions. What's up with this, and are that version list even legitimate?

"Dual processor support" not in every Longhorn version? I mean doesn't XP have that now? I'm curious where that doc got their information.

586203714[/snapback]

Nope. XP Home only supports one "real" processor I believe (although it can support 2 logical processors through HT or Dual Core)

The list seems legitimate. There isn't anything on the list that I haven't seen officially announced elsewhere. The items that I included from that list are big updates that I know are accurate.

XP Home does not have dual-processor support (allowing a total of 2 cores.) XP Professional does have dual-processor support (allowing a total of 4 cores.) I'm unsure about the details for Longhorn's multi-processor support, I will include that information if I find it.

It does make sense that the Home version only supports one processor though, I really don't see a normal home user that only reads emails and listens to music benefiting from multiple processors :)

Thanks for the list! :)

Great list man, good work. Now I have something to reference when the idiots say such fun things as:

"All of Longhorns features were cut"

"Longhorn will just be XP SP3"

I can install XP in under 30 on this computer, so with the improvements that are being made to Longhorn's installer, I don't see why not.

And this is on a year old laptop, without the advantage of having a high speed hard drive capable of SATA or other speedy HD technologies.

586203355[/snapback]

I've done ~40 mins on my 2002 dell laptop (inspiron 8200), I am not saying it takes very long. Just that 15 mins seems a bit too less. But if it does that I am all for it :yes: in no way complaining.

Not to mention the fact that my XP is very stable and I had no need to redo it on my desktop since I did a clean SP2 update :cool: so the install time factor is less n less important ;)

couple others that come to mind...

Internet Explorer: Low Rights Browsing

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/06/14/428811.aspx

Networking - Native IPv6 Support (Integrated Stack)

http://blogs.msdn.com/webtransports/archiv.../22/400600.aspx

Networking - Network Access Protection Client

http://blogs.msdn.com/webtransports/archiv.../22/400613.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/webtransports/archiv.../10/393242.aspx

Miscellaneous: Fast User Switching for Domain Users

Great list and post megamanXplosion! I had yet to look into what all is in longhorn or even test a release of it yet... Since all the information is scattered all over and not exactly written in a language we all can understand :p

After reading this, wow some amazing improvements... Lets hope they are able to include all of these in the end. And it also makes you realize that delays are very possible and imminent. Longhorn will definately be worth the wait.

I can't wait :D

Thanks

hello everyone,

is there any possibility of a new version of directx in longhorn beta 1?

586213258[/snapback]

Well, it won't be called DirectX; it will be called WGF (Windows Graphics Foundation). As for it being in Beta 1... I don't know.

Wow, nice post! I hope you keep the first post updated though if you decide to monitor the thread, as if this one grows, it could be hard to find other features that are announced or people come up with, in the middle of a long thread.

This also sounds like a great idea to write a good sizable article about, but digging into the respective technologies further and writing about them in an average enthusiast-understandable way. :)

couple others that come to mind...

Internet Explorer: Low Rights Browsing

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/06/14/428811.aspx

Networking - Native IPv6 Support (Integrated Stack)

http://blogs.msdn.com/webtransports/archiv.../22/400600.aspx

Networking - Network Access Protection Client

http://blogs.msdn.com/webtransports/archiv.../22/400613.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/webtransports/archiv.../10/393242.aspx

Miscellaneous: Fast User Switching for Domain Users

586212438[/snapback]

Thanks. I will give them a read-over in a little while (after my tea's caffeine has kicked in) and update the list :)

Great list, I still want explained to me what the registry thingy added is.

586212571[/snapback]

Transactional Registry or Registry Virtualization?

Transactional Registry is a form of error detection and prevention mechanism for programmers (perhaps system administrators too if Monad is extensive enough.) Essentially, it will make sure each and every registry change can be applied, otherwise none of the changes are applied. This means that programs will never be half-updated and have stability issues arising from that fact, it's either updated or not.

Registry virtualization occurs on the global registry settings. If a program tries to modify these values without administrative privileges then Longhorn will intercept it, create a fake copy of that section of the registry, and all of the changes are made to the fake copy and, from my understanding, the fake copy is deleted once the program has closed. This allows normal software to work normally instead of crashing or bugging out (though changes are not saved, it's still a lot better than crashing and burning) and prevents viruses and such from modifying important sections of the registry.

I hope that clears it up for you :)

Great list and post megamanXplosion! I had yet to look into what all is in longhorn or even test a release of it yet... Since all the information is scattered all over and not exactly written in a language we all can understand :p

After reading this, wow some amazing improvements... Lets hope they are able to include all of these in the end. And it also makes you realize that delays are very possible and imminent. Longhorn will definately be worth the wait.

I can't wait :D

Thanks

586212598[/snapback]

Yep, it is definitely worth the wait!

Great Thread! Now I think Longhorn actually will be good. :)

586212657[/snapback]

I think this list gives a good amount of insight to how much the media can spin things ;)

why not make this into a sticky ?

mods can you hear me now ? :p

586213159[/snapback]

:p

Wow, nice post! I hope you keep the first post updated though if you decide to monitor the thread, as if this one grows, it could be hard to find other features that are announced or people come up with, in the middle of a long thread.

This also sounds like a great idea to write a good sizable article about, but digging into the respective technologies further and writing about them in an average enthusiast-understandable way. :)

586213327[/snapback]

The first post is updated everytime there is something to add to it. I've already updated it like 6 times :)

That is the plan for the web page I'm working on though. I am trying to create a single resource for people to reference about Longhorn (or just learn about it for the first time) and make it as simple as possible so there can be no confusion arising from it. The main purpose the page is to be a part of a miniature anti-fud campaign ;)

Interface: Aero

- Aero Diamond (Media Center Edition)

- Aero Glass

- Aero Express

- Aero To-Go

- Aero Classic

Aero Diamond is the most beautiful Aero interface and will only be available to users of the Media Center Edition of Longhorn (perhaps it could be backported now that theming capabilities are unlocked?) Aero Glass is the interface most of us see in the Longhorn screenshots. Aero Express is similar to the Aero Glass theme except toned down a little for slower hardware. Aero To-Go is for laptops and other battery-powered devices and will have an XP-like interface. Aero Classic is the 2000-style theme.

586202304[/snapback]

As far as I know that isn't true...I've read a few places that the closest thing to what we've seen so far is Aero Express...Again, as far as I know no one outside top MS execs and the aero team has seen Glass or Diamond yet. :unsure: