Zone Alarm 6 final out

I currently am using ZAP 5.5.xxxx.xxx, and was wondering why auto-update was 'not picking up a new v 6.xxxx.xxx out...well I just reviewed this @another forum, and this comes from a ZA Team Member:

"Ok I'll repeat this - DO NOT INSTALL this if your running a network. I had an opinion that I kind of held to myself. And hopefully I'll be allowed to further expand upon that soon.

I'll say I definitely think this build has no business being out in the public domain at this time as a non beta.

Not only does it not work well with a home network. At least in my case. When you restore from a previous backup. Your program settings are no longer set. As many here have already discovered. The pc we have that runs wireless. Was working fine on a previous build of ZASS. Now it won't connect to the internet. This pc I'm on now won't access the net with ZoneAlarm enabled. Even after putting what is being blocked in the trusted zone. For me this version is a no go at this time. I'll have to go back to an older build. Do to the fact that the last gold build hated modified boot screens.

I think he is talking about Zonealarm Security Suite... not the PRO version

I had that problem also, i would just hit 'Y' for yes or 'A' for allow (depends on the version) because its asking permission to access the internet you just dont see that pop-up window.

586251367[/snapback]

i dunno...i found it at Office Depot :rofl:

After a few days, I went back to version 5.5. They add all the programs that ever tried to access the internet under program control, making it too bloated and hard to control what programs can access what.

So...ZoneAlarm security suite 6 is disencouraged for it became bloatedware?

I'm currently using suite 5.x, downloaded the upgrade v.6 but haven't installed yet.

So each year I buy a new package. I like to stay with one product. Get familiar with it. But if I dislike a product I look for an alternative solution.

I used to be a Norton Internet security user. When that became too much of a hog,

with too less control (or better said: too much control of my pc), I decided to switch. I have a habit of buying my protection suites retail, for one because I don't like to pay for update support renewals online.

I choose the ZoneAlarm security suite which had recently acuired built-in av scanning and the first reviews for the suite were actually quite good.

I've allready disabled on-access scanning, for that became a hog on not only a memory for which a don't care too much with 1 gb of memory, but but it also ate up to 12% of the cpu usage and majorly lagging my complete system when doing a AV-scan, even on my recently bought AMD64 3500+ pc.

And that ****ed me off. :angry:

Now ZoneAlarm is going the same road of lot's a bells and whistles I didn't ask for at the cost of systems performance. I don't need IM security since I don't IM, privacy protection? Crap. I don't use IE but Opera which has decent cooky control, popup killer. Webfiltering? I'm an Adult who decides for himself what website I visit thank you very much. But they got into the suite and I have to pay for something I don't use...?!? :no: Don't think so. I think I need to consider myself a switch. :yes:

But what are the alternatives? :unsure:

IMO nowadays, you need an AV scanner, anti-spyware and a firewall.

* Firewall.

Basicly I have the windows firewall that came with sp2 and the Nvidia firewall that came with my new n-tune drivers. Are these sufficient to replace my zonealarm and stay (relatively) safe while being online (surfing, e-mailing, occasional p-2-p)?

* Anti-spyware

Keep Ad-aware which I use nowadays? Spybot S&D? Would the change to Zonelabs new integrated anti-spyware feat be any good? Other alternatives?

* AV-scanner.

We need an AV-scanner. That's a matter of fact.

When you're online looking at webpages, reading your e-mail and/or download stuff. You need a virusscanner. No doubt there. But I for one do not need a virusscanner that decides for me. I decide auto-update yes or no. Logging. Quaratining/deleting 'suspicious content' which isn't always a virus. I want to be able to put settings on or off and see my cpu-recources and memory usage change accordingly.

What do you use?

Ergo:

Zonealarm security suite was a solution that had both av&good firewall with no real noticable performance degradation. Plus I think a suite lessens conflicts-risk between the av/firewall etc considerably.

What's the new best thing for securitiy (anti-virus/firewall/spywareremover)? Off course it doesn't have to be all in one suite, as long as the tools don't conflict with eachother, the sum of the doesn't make resource usage worse than Zonealarm Suite.

What do you guys suggest?

Edited by wiebeest