[NHL] Official Buyout & Signings Thread

yep, he played last season, not sure what's up with the upcoming one, though he's probably the best player detroit has. though you can't really compare anyone to him, still too good.  :yes:

586298367[/snapback]

Brett was okay the last season they played (25G, 43A, -4). He doesn't do the little things that impress coaches. He is essentially a sniper which means that he could benefit if the game is opened up to allow more offense. Way back in the day, before all this clutching and grabbing and defensive hockey, Brett Hull put up some big numbers (86G, 45A, +23). Obviously he was a lot younger then (he's nearly 41 now).

He certainly wouldn't make my top 10.

Another interesting thing about Brett Hull was that he was drafted 117th overall. That's good value for a sixth round pick.

Brett was okay the last season they played (25G, 43A, -4).  He doesn't do the little things that impress coaches.  He is essentially a sniper which means that he could benefit if the game is opened up to allow more offense.  Way back in the day, before all this clutching and grabbing and defensive hockey, Brett Hull put up some big numbers (86G, 45A, +23).  Obviously he was a lot younger then (he's nearly 41 now).

He certainly wouldn't make my top 10.

Another interesting thing about Brett Hull was that he was drafted 117th overall.  That's good value for a sixth round pick.

586298420[/snapback]

so who is the number one on your list then, god i so miss hockey so much i still skate and stuff but just cant play the game.

so who is the number one on your list then, god i so miss hockey so much i still skate and stuff but just cant play the game.

586298440[/snapback]

Martin St. Loius clearly has a lot of talent but his size will stop him from being the ideal player (excellent +/- though):

M.St. Louis Tampa Bay 38G 56A +35

Joe Sakic is now 36 but he offers a lot of leadership (if that is what you value):

J.Sakic Colorado 33G 54A +11

Kolalchuk plays in Atlanta, so it must be a bit frustrating for him. He is young though:

I.Kovalchuk Atlanta 41G 46A -10

Naslund and Elias are both talented players that don't forget defence:

M.Naslund Vancouver 35G 49A +24

P.Elias New Jersey 38G 43A +26

Colorado has some good top-level players still in their 20s:

A.Tanguay Colorado 25G 54A +30

M.Hejduk Colorado 35G 40A +19

Joe Thornton recently had a bit of a setback season but don't count him out:

J.Thornton Boston 23G 50A +18

Really though, all eyes will be on Sydney Crosby.

Florida panthers have signed unrestricted free agents Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132137

586308693[/snapback]

I'm a bit surprised. Toronto signed Jeff O'Neil (Gary Robert's buddy and former teammate) and the thought was that this would encourage Gary to resign with the Leafs.

I can't say I'm really sad. Toronto always needs to get younger. We seem to always float a team of geezers that are just a few seasons past their best before date.

reports also show that Flames have re-signed Jerome Iginla

586308693[/snapback]

Now that is good news. I like Jerome.

Son of a...  :angry:

586308700[/snapback]

Why do you hate that? The Leafs just got rid of 2 old geezers that were WELL past their prime. Considering how they're one of the teams most likely to crumble under the cap, not re-signing old UFA's was inevitable.

do you guys think the Canucks will make an offer to the best and most under rated D-man in the league (Scott Niedermayer)? it is near his hometown. I'm lucky cause I get to see him play almost every game, but if he goes to Vancouver they will be pretty nasty in '06 all they need is goaltending. GAME ON!

LET'S GO DEVILS!

Edited by joeskow

zubov at $4m in this era in the NHL is too much.... but Nieuendyk and Roberts at 2m is reasonable.

586309993[/snapback]

Yes, $2.25 million is reasonable, but not for either of those players. Neither Nieuendyk or Roberts is worth more than $1.5 million, if you ask me. $2.5 million is really a top-of-the-line player right now. Brendan Shanahan makes $2.5 million; Jeff O'Neill makes $1.5 million... that's too much for both of these players in the new era -- wait and see, it will be revealed barely half-way through the season that they overpaid and saddled themselves with stupid contracts.

Sure, both are coming off decent years, but still... I wouldn't pay either that kind of money. Silly move, although it will probably still help a team like Florida in the revenues department (assuming the fans there still care).

Edit: Oh yeah, Columbus just screwed over the free agent market. $4.5 million a year? That's too high of a standard for a player that's not even exactly top-tier... close to there, but not quite. It's funny how they and Florida b*tched about having no money to spend, that they couldn't compete with the big boys and all that crap... where'd they suddenly find all the money? :p

Edited by Scorpio

Why do you hate that? The Leafs just got rid of 2 old geezers that were WELL past their prime. Considering how they're one of the teams most likely to crumble under the cap, not re-signing old UFA's was inevitable.

586308981[/snapback]

But Roberts was one of the few people on the leafs who could actually carry the team on emotion alone, I don't so much care about Nieuwendyk, but Roberts is a big loss

do you guys think the Canucks will make an offer to the best and most under rated D-man in the league (Scott Niedermayer)? it is near his hometown.

LET'S GO DEVILS!

586311007[/snapback]

I don't know about Vancouver, but I hear that he and Iginla are friends and that Jerome is in the process of talking him into moving to Calgary.Last I heard Iginla was willing to take less money so Scott could be signed.

Of course this is all rumour, but you never know.

do you guys think the Canucks will make an offer to the best and most under rated D-man in the league (Scott Niedermayer)? it is near his hometown. I'm lucky cause I get to see him play almost every game, but if he goes to Vancouver they will be pretty nasty in '06 all they need is goaltending. GAME ON!

LET'S GO DEVILS!

586311007[/snapback]

I think Van is more focussed on getting Naslund signed right now. I know Naslund and Forsberg want to play together, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear Vancouver announce the signings of both Naslund and Forsberg in the next few days.

I don't know about Vancouver, but I hear that he and Iginla are friends and that Jerome is in the process of talking him into moving to Calgary.Last I heard Iginla was willing to take less money so Scott could be signed.

Of course this is all rumour, but you never know.

586311251[/snapback]

I have not herd tht rumor yet. plus niedermeyer will most likely stay in Nj because of his kids and wife (HOPE FULLY).

Edited by joeskow

I think Van is more focussed on getting Naslund signed right now. I know Naslund and Forsberg want to play together, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear Vancouver announce the signings of both Naslund and Forsberg in the next few days.

586311262[/snapback]

I would. If Vancouver is stupid enough to sign 2 guys who are MORE than likely to ask for near the top of the individual cap, they will bury themselves.

Gosh dangit, are these teams completely retarded? They're RUINING everything they worked for. Now the big-market teams are all screwed because the bar these smaller teams are setting is far too high. That's probably exactly what they want, though -- all the teams who used to whine and moan about not having money suddenly have it when they can screw over the big boys.

Modano is rumored to be going to Boston.... that's kind of surprising, I think.

yup, and what does that mean for Thornton? if i were boston i'd work on keeping Thornton, he's basically Modano with size and a lot more years left in him

i have some rumors to share too:

Satan: Habs, Leafs, Rangers are all bidding on him, Boston has told Satan to wait a bit until they know if they sign Modano

McCarty...2 year Deal with Calgary

Montreal: possibly sign Dandenault, Selanne, Lecavalier

Rangers: trying to lure Forsberg and Naslund

Niedermayer: not ruling out a return to NJ, but look for one of the western teams to grab him

Edited by bayrider

Thrashers sign Holik for $4.25m a yr!

seriously, wtf is going on? what was the whole point of the entire CBA?? These GM's are overpaying players AGAIN. Aucoin 4mil? Zubov? Holik? Foote 4.6m? Why was there a work stoppage? Everything the GM's and the players worked for went to waste. The players who r contractually obligated to a team that took a 1/4 roll-back in their salaries r the ppl getting screwed over here. The UFA's are stealing their money basically, and r putting potential players out of jobs due to the salary cap... i just dont get it. The GMs could get these players for a lot less but r yet shelling out big bucks?

also, if holik is getting 4.25m a year how much is Ilya Kovalchuk gonna get? 6-7m??