[NHL] Official Buyout & Signings Thread

Leafs don't look too good this season. Theres a chance they land Allison and/or Lindros though

btw fred666 and berdusco. word is Domi goes to Pens

586325941[/snapback]

The Leafs usually make boneheaded deals by overpaying for some aging local guy who wants to finish his career here. Not only do they tend to pay too much but they usually have to trade away our future to get the rights to pay them too much.

Our biggest problem this year is in net. Eddie the Eagle is what, 105 now? We don't have a lot of backup either.

The defence isn't too bad, it's pretty much what we had for most of last year. Brian Leetch was a rental.

The forwards are pretty thin:

LW:

D. Tucker (should be on the second or third line)

A. Ponikarovsky (should be on the third line)

C. Kilger (He never lived up to his reputation on any club, essentially a bust)

C. Wilm (whatever)

C:

M. Sundin (the only star forward)

N. Antropov (probably play in Russia for triple what the Leafs are offering)

M. Stajan (rare young talent, he should get some good ice time this year)

K. Wellwood* (we'll see what he has to offer)

RW:

J. O'Neill (newly aquired, should be on the second line)

W. Belak (He should be a fourth liner or an 8th D-man)

N. Perrott (He should be a fourth liner)

B. Leeb* (whatever)

Leafs are in bad shape alright, how far are they under the cap? I wonder if they are looking to grab a couple of the guys that are left ?

Leclair etc...

Leafs are in bad shape alright, how far are they under the cap? I wonder if they are looking to grab a couple of the guys that are left ?

Leclair etc...

586328258[/snapback]

That had about $7 million left to spend this year but they just signed Domi for $1.25 million per season (for 2 seasons).

We still need some bodies.

habs signed a swiss captian or something like that, name is Mark Streit

khabby a hawk

According to MOJO Vancouver radio station, the Oilers resigned Igor Ulanov.

im hoping that bertuzzi is allowed back in too

Edited by berdusco

heh this season is looking good for me, im the only habs fan surrounded by a buttload of leafs fans

586331184[/snapback]

r u kidding? i've been a habs fan since i can remember and i'll never change! the only other team i've followed besides the habs was Colorado, and only because of Roy :)

btw, Mark Streit played for the swiss league. He's not a center, he's a D. Apparently he might be liek Rafalski, discovered in the Euro/Russian leagues and signed to the NHL to be a solid D man

Khabibulin 4yrs $27m to Chicago. I wonder what Tampa is going to do in goaltending. Maybe sign Biron or something? Maybe trade for Thibault since Chicago has a goalie now?

yeah, well ur from montreal or quebec i assume, im from northern ontario where on tv all you can watch is toronto here

Mark Streit is captain of the swiss national team too, i believe.. very exciting

yeah, haha, theres only really support through the francaphone population here

but every little bit helps haha

brad may signs with the av's

Edited by berdusco

Khabibulin 4yrs $27m to Chicago. I wonder what Tampa is going to do in goaltending. Maybe sign Biron or something? Maybe trade for Thibault since Chicago has a goalie now?

586331722[/snapback]

I'm betting they stick with Grahame as starter. He's not that bad, you know ;)

where the heck are the Thrasher signings... Geez, what the heck is Don Waddell doing!!!!!

586332503[/snapback]

Atlanta Thrashers

NEW FACES

Adam Berkhoel, G (T-Chi) ; Kevin Doell, C (FA) ; Niclas Havelid, D (T-Ana) ; Cory Larose, C (FA-NYR) ; Scott Mellanby, RW (FA-StL) ; Jaroslav Modry, D (FA-LA) ; Travis Roche, D (FA-Min)

MOVED

Daniel Corso, C/RW (FA-Europe) ; Joe DiPenta, D (FA-Van) ; Kurtis Foster, D (T-Ana) ; Eric Healey, LW (FA-Europe) ; Shawn Heins, D (FA-Europe) ; Frantisek Kaberle, D (FA-Car) ; Randy Robitaille, C/LW (FA-Europe) ; Brian Swanson, C (FA-Europe) ; Mike Weaver, D (FA-LA)

FREE AGENTS

Zdenek Blatny, C/W ; Frederic Cassivi, G ; Byron Dafoe, G ; David Kaczowka, LW ; Bill Lindsay, LW/RW ; Chris Tamer, D ; Yannick Tremblay, D

where the heck are the Thrasher signings... Geez, what the heck is Don Waddell doing!!!!!

586332503[/snapback]

dont worry about it, just look at the leafs, they've made no moves

other teams too havn't made any moves

kariya just went to nashville WOW

edit: and the philly line up is way too slow to be effective in the new NHL IMO.. the only two guys with good legs left are Rathje and Forsberg

Haven't watched hockey since well before the lockout but that's usually the case when you're a Blackhawks fan. Atleast the team seems to be going in the right direction if the owner isn't. I hate Bill Wirtz.

maple leafs sign jason allison

586332726[/snapback]

Aug. 6, 2005. 01:00 AM

Leafs stir, snare Allison

Centre's 1-year contract laced with incentives Lindros in mix, Antropov will return, GM says

JORDAN HEATH-RAWLINGS

SPORTS REPORTER

After sitting out much of a week-long free agent frenzy in the National Hockey League, the Maple Leafs finally made their first big splash last night.

They announced they had agreed to terms with centre Jason Allison on a one-year contract worth $1.5 million (all figures U.S.).

"This is probably one of the worst-kept secrets (of the week)," Leafs general manager John Ferguson Jr. said of the constant speculation that Allison, a 30-year-old North York native, would return to his hometown.

Allison, who missed almost three full seasons of hockey between a lingering neck injury and last season's lockout, posed with a No.41 Leafs jersey and says he is fully recovered and raring to get on the ice.

"Anytime someone can't do what they love to do, it's tough on them," he said. "When you're out for a period of time like that, it makes you appreciate everything a little more and it gets you excited to be back at it."

Ferguson said Allison's contract consists of a base salary and a series of performance bonuses for things such as games played and points scored that could see him earn upwards of $4.5 million.

Because of Allison's injury history, and a clause in the new collective bargaining agreement, up to $2.9 million of his incentives won't count against the Leafs' salary cap.

"He is in a unique class in that regard," Ferguson said. "One of the players who qualifies for a performance bonus in his contract on a one-year deal ... It's a base-plus-performances contract. That's the deal we've got and we hope he earns every one of them."

Allison, a first-round pick of the Washington Capitals in 1993, enjoyed his best year in the NHL in 2000-01 with the Boston Bruins, when he scored 36 goals and added 59 assists for 95 points, good for fifth place in league scoring. In 486 career NHL games with Los Angeles, Boston and Washington, Allison has collected 425 points.

In his last active season (2002-03) he was limited to just 26 games, and had 28 points.

With captain Mats Sundin anchoring the first line and the burly 6-3, 215-pound Allison now centring the second unit, Ferguson believes the Leafs have just inched a little higher up the projected Eastern Conference standings.

"There is great upside here with this punch," he said. "It's almost a 1-and-1a than a 1-2 punch. These guys are going to present some matchup problems for our opponents, and that is part of our plan."

And the GM hinted that the team isn't done yet. There are still negotiations taking place with another hulking centre with an injury history.

Ferguson said Eric Lindros may still be on the Leafs' radar.

"We've had some discussions to that end and that remains to be seen," he said. "Talks have been ongoing on so many fronts all week."

For his part, Allison, a former all-star and a double world junior championship gold medallist, said he's just happy to be coming home.

"It's great to be able to come back here where I grew up and play for the team I've always dreamt of playing for," he said. "It's the perfect situation for me and, by far, it was my first choice."

He passed his physical evaluations without any problems, he said, and is looking forward to putting the last few years behind him.

"It was really tough to straighten out. It was a long battle," he said of his injuries. "But there was nothing structurally wrong, which is great news and I don't expect it to be a problem moving forward."

Earlier, Ferguson announced that the club would also likely be bringing back centre Nik Antropov.

"He will remain with our club," Ferguson said.

Antropov, 25, had earlier received offers from clubs in Russia that were believed to be as much as three times more lucrative than the Leafs qualifying offer of $1 million for the coming season.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968867503640