• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Latest build of Jaguar...

linux2    0

Does anyone else think the move towards more of a 2D look and less shading sucks? I mean little things like that really makes the UI stand out. Beta users are raving about the increase in peformance. . .well yes it should be perkier. Considering they are dumbing down the video intensive eye candy. I hope we will have some way of restoring the original look and feel. Maybe the themes will allow that.

purush    0

Just out of curiosity I logged into Apple site and made all the possible selections for my kind of Mac. My choice were as follows

1. Power Mac G4............Price $ 2999

2. 22inch Apple Cinema

Display....................... 2499

--------

purush    0

Sorry the above post was incomplete. The total comes to $5498 plus applicable taxes. In Can $ that adds to an astounding sum of $6000 plus taxes. If anyone is interested in trying out Mac OS X either he has to win the lottery or rob the bank.

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by purush

Sorry the above post was incomplete. The total comes to $5498 plus applicable taxes. In Can $ that adds to an astounding sum of $6000 plus taxes. If anyone is interested in trying out Mac OS X either he has to win the lottery or rob the bank.

and that's why I use a PC over a mac.

linux2    0

You did say "your kind of mac". For $1100 US you can get an eMac that runs OSX very well.

Rudy    457
Originally posted by linux2

You did say "your kind of mac". For $1100 US you can get an eMac that runs OSX very well.

yea, he is pushing it a lil with the cinema display and everything

but he also has a point....macs are expensive i mean that eMac for 1100 well what do u do when u want to upgrade?? nothing cuz u can't so u have to buy a brand new computer (monitor,video card etc) as with a pc u can just change ur mb and cpu and u got a way better computer

i know about the power pc 4 (or whatever they're called) but then thats a bit more expensive,..........

Advocate    0

Yeah as much as I love Macs and what Apple have done for 'nix I despise the amount of money they cost and the fact that the affordable models aren't upgradeable.

With OSX Apple have the "killer app" to take on Microsoft and win, do us all a favour Apple and port the damn thing to the x86 architecture. 2 years after doing that you won't care about selling hardware any more.

/me dreams on

Tesseract    0
Originally posted by Advocate

With OSX Apple have the "killer app" to take on Microsoft and win, do us all a favour Apple and port the damn thing to the x86 architecture. 2 years after doing that you won't care about selling hardware any more.

Doubtful. I would like to see this happen, but Apple will not realize that they could be profitable in the software business. Apple would have to support all the hardware and software out there for Windows. If (when) those conditions are met and they actually do it, then I would go and buy it. :)

Zerosignull    314

its more of the case that the hardware developers would have to suport the o/s. Apple doesnt write all the drivers for everything in existance that the o/s could suport. they supply the framework for developers to write drivers for there hardware. all the os needs is to suport standards ...

Advocate    0
Originally posted by codyg11

Doubtful. I would like to see this happen, but Apple will not realize that they could be profitable in the software business. Apple would have to support all the hardware and software out there for Windows. If (when) those conditions are met and they actually do it, then I would go and buy it. :)

Huh? They don't even support all the hardware that you can connect to a Mac! I have a Firewire webcam sitting here which isn't supported by OSX. Actually thinking about it Apple WOULDN'T have to support all the hardware out there, it's normally up to the hardware manufacturers to provide drivers yes?

/me looks forward to playing Doom3 with his NV30, Hammer CPU and SB Audigy Plat on OSX

*SIGH*

purush    0

What if Steve Jobs comes up with an OS X version running in Windows based on Intel platform ? ( a pipe dream ) when many would I am sure would not hesitate switching to Mac OS X for Windows. Imagine all the stuff we want in XP and in a Mac OS X interface, wouldn't that be wonderful eh! I would think if they do consider developing an OS specifically to fit the needs of Windows user also as a competition for Microsoft it would be nice. folks at Microsoft would be scartching their heads wouldn't they ?

I think it would do Apple a big jump in sales if they ever come up with this.

Chad    0

Getting back to the latest build of jaguar....for those of you that have 6c75, did it come with itunes? Heh...for some reason itunes wasn't installed for me. There weren't any errors during setup either. Wasn't sure if Apple didn't throw it in...course then i saw iTunes in Dazzlas screenshot and started to wonder

modem    2

I'm going to be stepping into untredded water here for myself when I ask this. I'm looking at getting some sort of Mac to learn on since I have customers constantly dealing with imacs and a growing customer base that is leaning more and more to the "pretty colors" of the macs and such.

I've come to the conclusion that I just am going to have to goto Tysons Corner and visit the Apple store just to get one. Although I'm not sure what is best, how the upgradeability is on a mac and so forth. I've seen everything from the G4's to the emac's to the powerbooks and ibooks. Also what are the different revisions from the debut of OSX until the release of jaguar and what are the areas that have changed in each revision?

Hardware wise, what am I needing, 700mhz, 800mhz? Ultimate goal is low cost just to learn on, not some dual G4 super server type system.

Everyone's advice and recommendations??

mills2444    0

not sure weather or not its been posted or how well known it is, but i was browsing the sites and found at rail head they post on how in os 10.2 aqua has been tonned down a bit , itll be interesting to see what kinda speed this offers. here is a picture of it, the "new" aqua they show in a screenshot.

NewElements.jpg

Here?s a run-down of the items changed so far:

The tabs.

The push buttons.

The check boxes.

The radio buttons.

The ?chasing arrows? have been replaced with the circle-thing you see between the check boxes and radio buttons.

The menu bar (not in this pic, obviously) also highlights as solid blue when choosing an item from the main menu bar, rather than striping as it does now. However, the selected item listed in the resulting drop down menu highlight with stripes as usual. However (again), I don?t know if this will remain in the final build.

Yes, the scroll bars are the same, as well as the small arrows, sliders, and other elements. Obviously, all the potential changes are not yet implemented in this build.

information from railheaddesign.com

Steve    2

Does no1 Agree, that one of the reasons for NOT porting X 2 x86 Ark, is that if apple decided to "Ditch" the Hardware scene, it'd be massive loss?! After all, they seem very much the "innovators" as far as Design is concerned. They May have a Killer app in X, and be GREAT Software Developers, but i think everyone forgets they make Awesome Hardware too, why should they leave something, POSSIBLY Apple only do best?! :ermm:

NeYo

modem    2

Having and not having MacOSX to the x86 platform is a double edge sword debate. One the one hand of Apple being innovators is true and them needing something that only can be found on Mac does help boost their hardware sales.

Although when it comes down to hardware what are the huge differences anymore? Geforce3/4, ATI, IDE, PC133 definately all ring bells. Of coure the G4 is a mighty powerful processor and the system board is a concept PC users just don't see, but really otuside of the quality case designs and such what else is there? I have a feeling if Apple ported the OSX code to the x86 platform it would pose a serious threat to Windows and not only would Apple see an actual sales increase but OSX sales are cheaper and reaching potential customers who don't want to pay the $$$ for Windows.

Dazzla    5
Originally posted by purush

Just out of curiosity I logged into Apple site and made all the possible selections for my kind of Mac. My choice were as follows

1. Power Mac G4............Price $ 2999

2. 22inch Apple Cinema

Display....................... 2499

--------

What? Thats like me saying that to run XP you need a Dual Xeon rig with 4gb ram and a 23"LCD.

OS X runs fantastically on a normal iMac or eMac. Wake up to the real world and don't be so ignorant and stop trolling.

And mills2444, yeah I've seen those. I'm not too bothered. It does look OK but I don't really like Aqua, there's plenty of amazing themes to use on OS X anyway. It's like an XP user still using Blue luna.

And for people talking about OS X for Intel, do you really think people would buy OS X if you couldn't run Office X? Microsoft wouldn't make Office for OS X if it was a competitor, that would leave OS X dead in the water.

modem, if you're after low cost, get an eMac. With a G4 processor and the gefore card, it's not a bad buy. The latest OS X is 10.1.5. From 10 -> 10.1 was one phase, pretty slow, not much app support. After 10.1 was released everything kicked off, much much faster, much bigger app support etc etc. There's been 10.1, 10.1.2, 10.1.3, 10.1.4 and the latest 10.1.5. 10.1.5 is probably the most significant because it introduced Anti Alaising for applications which weren't programmed to take advantage of it. This is carried on in 10.2.

10.1.x -> 10.2 is going to be as big, if not bigger then 10 -> 10.1. The introduction of Quartz extreme is the biggest factor. This allows the GUI to be rendered directly by the graphics card (32mb needed for ideal performance) and greatly increases the speed of the OS. This sort of thing isn't going to be implemented in windows until Longhorn is released, so it shows how advanced it is.

superfula, the latest build of Jag i've installed is only 6C48 so I wouldn't know.

linux2    0

I guess no one else is as bugged about the newer flater look coming our way. Heck I can achieve that kind of look on my PC. . .something I am trying to migrate away from. Does Dazzla or anyone else know if the current (read 3d) themes will work with 10.2?

Advocate    0

I actually think this new look is nice. But then again I'm quite strange. ;)

Dazzla    5

Most existing themes work fine on OS X so grab an "Aqua restore" theme now in preperation so you can apply that.

BroChaos    1

i'm not seeing how it is flatter, can you point some differences out. maybe i need to compare that one preview with the defualt aqua, cuz i'm noticing any differences :p

Dazzla    5
Originally posted by BroChaos

i'm not seeing how it is flatter, can you point some differences out. maybe i need to compare that one preview with the defualt aqua, cuz i'm noticing any differences :p

Old one:

aqua.png

New one:

NewElements.jpg

linux2    0
Originally posted by Advocate

I actually think this new look is nice. But then again I'm quite strange. ;)

Nuff said. . .j/k :p

Advocate    0

Hehe

I've actually just emailed David Millar at Apple asking for support for a major series of articles at DeviantPC. I seriously doubvt he'll offer the kind of support I'm asking for but here's hoping.

If he does offer the support I think it would be a major coup for Apple and show PC owners everywhere just what OS X is capable of.