Design (unfinished)

Question

Recently I have made this design/website/template .. it is not finished yet but what do you think about it ? Any advices? or something is wrong?

I would be helpful if you comment. :)

Thanks

Groovydesigner :)

websitepreviewnew9pq.jpg

Edited by groovydesigner

Made some other changes to the colour and added content boxes ...

Here it is... still I can't understand the saturation point...

And btw still ..something in me saying that the laoyout is still not ok ... I need something to charge it up ..what do you suggest?

post-109199-1123257148_thumb.jpg

I can't suggest anything as i myself am at the infant stages of learning html (erm.started yesterday :D ) and have 0 experience when it comes to design, but what i can say is that you have made vast improvements from the intial one you posted. You're moving forward, that alone is a great thing.

Made some other changes to the colour and added content boxes ...

Here it is... still I can't understand the saturation point...

And btw still ..something in me saying that the laoyout is still not ok ... I need something to charge it up ..what do you suggest?

586331224[/snapback]

Personally I think thats worse :( good that the branding has gone, but the big balloon effects really don't suit. Too much blue now, least before you had the grey in there too. Also still very bright. Look at the blues used in the Neowin forum, Easy on the eyes :)

Abondoned troley I took out the content boxes ... what shall I do instead?

Btw I added the space hole type thing in the banner ...hope it is good ..

post-109199-1123258669_thumb.jpg

Abondoned troley I took out the content boxes ... what shall I do instead?

Btw I added the space hole type thing in the banner ...hope it is good ..

586331330[/snapback]

Groovy the idea of the boxes is fine and keeps things defined :) its just the size of the headings you were using seemed too large and ballooned, hard to explain but just looks too cute. As mentioned before I would try darkening the blue of the sight to make it easier on the eyes. Just made a quick colour adjustment to the main section to explain.

post-110545-1123259476_thumb.jpg

The banner looks fine in my opinion :D

But yeah you need something less attacking on the eyes for the main colour :cool:

I really don't like it much at all. The blue is more of an eyesore than anything. Basically looks like a cookie-cutter style site to me. Try to be more visually pleasing and have a visual path set out for where you want the viewer to look first, next, etc.

It's definitely looking better, try dropping the opacity of the drop shadows and they should look a bit better (to about 25%).

Also, instead of using gradients that are white > blue, try using something like 'a very similar but light blue colour' > blue... if you know what I mean...

Another thing I recommend you do to improve your designs is drop Photoshop for a week, and learn how to code a general layout in CSS and XHTML, this will help you realise factors you need to consider when making an actual design, such as fluidity and ease-of-use.

Simplicity.

You make things too complicated. To me, your design comes off as gaudy, frillish, and unprofessional. The key to good web design is simplicity.

Take for example a letter. It is a piece of white paper with some text on it. There is virtually nothing to distract the eye from the text, which serves the purpose of a letter. In many ways, a website is the same way. The visitor is there to read your content, not to admire the way in which you apply photoshop filters onto text.

Ditch the shadows and the gradients. Use solid colors as much as possible, or small, tilable patterns. The site will load quicker in the end, and be less of a headache to code and alter.

Learn how to design logically. Color should be used only to eccentuate important points. Not to say that your website should be devoid of any color other than black and white. There is a world of colors called pastels, which are highly versatile, and when used correctly, make a site feel professional as well as easy to use. The site should never look professional or well designed, unless you are doing it for the sole purpose of showing off just how gaudy and over-the-top you can be. Rather, a well-designed site should feel natural and intutive, and be easy to interact with.

As for your logo in the header, I cannot think of any reason why you would apply a blur to it - other than that you couldn't design a good looking logo, so you used a blur to try and mask your bad logo... Rethink that, it looks hideous with the blur.

Simplicity.

You make things too complicated.  To me, your design comes off as gaudy, frillish, and unprofessional. The key to good web design is simplicity. 

Take for example a letter.  It is a piece of white paper with some text on it. There is virtually nothing to distract the eye from the text, which serves the purpose of a letter.  In many ways, a website is the same way.  The visitor is there to read your content, not to admire the way in which you apply photoshop filters onto text. 

Ditch the shadows and the gradients.  Use solid colors as much as possible, or small, tilable patterns.  The site will load quicker in the end, and be less of a headache to code and alter. 

Learn how to design logically.  Color should be used only to eccentuate important points.  Not to say that your website should be devoid of any color other than black and white.  There is a world of colors called pastels, which are highly versatile, and when used correctly, make a site feel professional as well as easy to use.  The site should never look professional or well designed, unless you are doing it for the sole purpose of showing off just how gaudy and over-the-top you can be.  Rather, a well-designed site should feel natural and intutive, and be easy to interact with.

As for your logo in the header, I cannot think of any reason why you would apply a blur to it - other than that you couldn't design a good looking logo, so you used a blur to try and mask your bad logo...  Rethink that, it looks hideous with the blur.

586334881[/snapback]

Superb comments, I couldn't agree more.

I wanted to get back on this thing called saturation that you still don't seem to understand - the guy who said it was having a quick insult at you - saturation is the level of colour intensity if you like - he was merely saying the colours were garish, that's all you need to know.

I do fear now that your issues with coding are going to prevent this from actually materialising into a usable site. I don't like the design one bit, as has been said in the above points by the previous poster, but that's irrelevent now - you're getting to the stage where it's at least a usable design, but now is the issue of coding.

Sit down and seriously consider how you're going to make this. Then post your concerns and we can help you.

Ok thanks ... can sopmeone help me wiht coding pls?

586334901[/snapback]

No, you start, and post your problems. We're not here to take you by the hand, but to guide you if you stray off the path. Eww metaphores...

I was bored. :o :) Groovy, is you want to get references of this or you want to play with it or:

<cough>ruin it</cough>

;) you can have it, just PM me and I can send you the PSD. This is just the kind of simple design you can go for and create and it should also be a easy one to design so simple. You could use Tables, CSS or even the dreaded Frames, (please don't.) :) Just let me know via PM, don't want to go off the hook here but comments would be cool maybe.

Thanks,

JMann

Site.png

@ Groovey Looks like all your other work. Garbage. Bold, Gaudy, Ugly.

Looks more like some "l33t" 13 year olds attempt at a web design studio website rebranded with a cross and a christian slogan.

@ JMann, nice but still not what i'd call great for a content oriented christian group site.

I was bored.  :o  :) Groovy, is you want to get references of this or you want to play with it or:

<cough>ruin it</cough>

;) you can have it, just PM me and I can send you the PSD. This is just the kind of simple design you can go for and create and it should also be a easy one to design so simple. You could use Tables, CSS or even the dreaded Frames, (please don't.) :) Just let me know via PM, don't want to go off the hook here but comments would be cool maybe.

Thanks,

JMann

Site.png

586336397[/snapback]

WoOoOw... very nice ...

That's pretty nice JMann, I remember when YOU used to be like groovy hahaha

586336437[/snapback]

... (don't know what to say) ......